Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me pick an HDTV...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me pick an HDTV...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pick an HDTV...

Ok, all input is welcomed, as well as any links to webpages comparing these or recommended specific models...here's what i'm debating between...

Sony 57" KP57WS500
Toshiba 57" 57H83
Mitsubishi 65" WS-A65

from what i've been told the 65 inch might be overkill with the current arrangement of the living room...so i MIGHT consider the WS-A55. Any help would be VERY appreciated. I pretty much have to decide this week even though it might not be bought this week because there's an open item Sony that i can get from best buy that was delivered to the guys house and he thought it was too big and sent it back...i can get it for around $1600, but i have to let my manager know ASAP because he'll only hold it for a few days while i decide, most of the guys i worked with said go with the Toshiba, but i was told that you can upgrade the mitsubishi's down the road...so its a lot to consider...

Please help me out!
Old 07-02-03, 01:32 PM

Ive been looking at those same Toshiba and Sony models... I think Im leaning towards the Toshiba - Best Buy has it on sale til Saturday for 1799.99.
Old 07-02-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the new Hitachi 57S500, which is replacing the 57SWX20B. I'd recommend that over the Sony or Toshiba.
Old 07-02-03, 07:37 PM

I"m also going to be buying an HDTV soon. But I've read that the Sony models have a film on the screen that causes a significant amount of glare. Can anyone confirm this??

Doc
Old 07-02-03, 11:13 PM

Well I work at best buy, so i have to get my TV there because i get a MAD discount, and everone there's recommended the Toshiba, except for one guy who recommended the Sony, and they were all "the Mistubishi's are nice, but the 65 inch would be overdoing it" i could get an open item Mitsubishi 57" for about $1200 but then i'd have to order a manual and remote :-P
Old 07-03-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take the 65" Mits. It's probably not much larger than the rest and you'll kick yourself later for not getting bigger. I have a 55" Mits that looked huge when I first got it and 3 months later the damn thing shrunk I swear. Besides after doing the Spotiie Tweaks or and ISF calibration the Mits will look the best IMO.
Old 07-05-03, 05:48 AM

Does anyone know of any sites that have these ranked, sorta like a consumer reports, but i dont really want to subscribe to it if im going to use it to look up 3 or 4 tvs and thats it
Old 07-06-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry, it's probably too late now to answer your question, but don't get a Mitsubishi. You work there so you should know, the Mitsubishis at BB are made just for them and are not as good as normal Mitsubishis. They are not as "tweakable" as normal sets, you could almost say they are dumbed down.
Old 07-07-03, 08:48 AM

Does anyone know anything about the Samsung HSN653W? I haven't seen any reviews on this specific unit but have been hearing good things about Samsung in general recently.

Also, any Best Buy/Samsung issues as collven mentions above re: Mitsu?
Old 07-07-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes, well at least it used to be that the best buy samsung sets were not the same as the higher samsung models...it was true for their dlp sets anyway. they would carry the xxxx506 line while the higher model was the xxxx507. not sure whether that is still the case though.
Old 07-07-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by collven
Sorry, it's probably too late now to answer your question, but don't get a Mitsubishi. You work there so you should know, the Mitsubishis at BB are made just for them and are not as good as normal Mitsubishis. They are not as "tweakable" as normal sets, you could almost say they are dumbed down.
Yes they are slightly modified from normal Mits models but for some the things that are different don't really matter. The protective shield is clear and not anti-reflective. SVM is only defeatable in the service menu and things like that. Most people take the protective shield off anyway. The things that really matter are the same such as color purity and sharpness. If I were buying one I'd get one from a store that sold the real models but with an employee discount the Mits would be steal and well worth the few small differences IMO.
Old 07-18-03, 12:22 PM

Here's a review on the Samsung HLN4365W:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1119467,00.asp
Old 07-19-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
If you are interested in high quality direct view sets, I can offer some firsthand experience with a 34" Toshiba WS HDTV.
Old 07-23-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by collven

If there's one thing I know about what Best Buy employees know....it's that they don't know anything about the things that Best Buy sells.

Anyway, the Toshiba is a very nice TV and Amazon.com has it for $1799 right now plus a $50 GC.
Old 07-24-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GET THE TOSHIBA!!!

I work at BB and picked it up, it's awesome!