Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice on a new DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so my trusty old Toshiba 2109 seemingly died today, won't load any of my DVDs and I need to pick up a new player.

Only problem I have is this: I have a 1999 Hitachi 60" progressive scan 4:3 TV which has a 16x9 mode for watching anamorphic discs. I tried a a couple of progressive scan players a couple years ago and no matter what settings I fiddled around with, I always had a red color shift that made everyone's faces red. And although the picture was noticeably better than with the 2109, I could not take the color problem at all.

Now however a quick glance online makes it appear that I might have trouble even buying a non-progressive player. Are there any decent regular scan players available at retail or do any of the newer progressive players have a capability of adjusting this red color shift?? I did some research back when I was testing those other progressive players back then and if I remember it was just some incompatibility with the relatively early HDTV I have.

Guess I can just go to the pawn shops for a player if I have to
Old 06-18-03, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
viewing the problem from a different angle

Hey Wolfchild,

I have had the color problems twice with DVD players, or so I thought. Both times, it was bad component video cables, not the TV or the DVD. I will never opt for cheap cables again, at least as far as High Definition is concerned.

As for using progressive scan players, you should have no problem. If you go for a better player, it will allow you to switch between interlaced (non-progressive), and progressive scan, if you are worried about the effect on your TV.

I'm curious, when you tried progressive scan before, did you call the company's customer support line to ask them any suggestions? I have found that they would rather you call them before you give up the ghost....2 times I have avoided the hassle of returning merchandise by calling customer support. Ultimately, I think your red hue problem is correctable.

Good luck you you.