Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Polk, Bose or Kiplish speaker set?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-03, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of these sets seem the best?

Bose around 2K, Klipsch around 1.5k, Polk around 1k

Klipsch

main=sf-2
sub=ksw-12
cntr=sc.1
srnd=ss.1

-------------------------------------------------

Bose

main=70I (Built in subs on main)
cntr=VCS-10
srnd=301v(2)

-------------------------------------------------

Polk

main=Rti100(Built in subs on main)
cntr=csi40
srnd=fxi300i
or
srnd=rti38
Old 06-08-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IBAHBL*

Point #1: I'm not going to make point #1, but it involves Bose. I'll just go out on a limb and agree with what the next poster (who doesn't have the word "Bose" in his username) says about Bose.

Point #2: It seems to me like you're limiting yourself to brands that department stores sell, assuming these are the only speakers you're considering. I would strongly suggest that there is better value for your money, but you might need to track down a dedicated audio retailer.

*In before all hell breaks loose.
Old 06-08-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would get the Klipsch for no more than $1200 or so.

http://www.vac2buy.com/sony/sonyrec....TION=&B1=Go%21

this dealer has prices online. I would only buy these if I could get it for at least this price or lower,

It is not worth $1500.

Are these new? where are you buying them from?

I would pass on the Bose no matter what the price.

Polk is not my favorite brand but if you listen to them and like them then go for it.
Old 06-09-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Is your budget 2K for speakers?

If so there are many, many other brand choices you should consider.
Old 06-09-03, 12:40 PM

I'd love to consider other brands and I appreciate the advice, however I am limited to Best Buy, Circuit city type stores since the only way my wife will let me get them is throough the financing plans. I have already elimnated BOSe due to the number of negative reviews im seeing on them
Old 06-09-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by pestario
I'd love to consider other brands and I appreciate the advice, however I am limited to Best Buy, Circuit city type stores since the only way my wife will let me get them is throough the financing plans. I have already elimnated BOSe due to the number of negative reviews im seeing on them
Understood.

For the record there are many stores that offer financing. Tweeter comes to mind, not sure if there is one near you.

Having said that, what have you listened to? What do your ears tell you? CC also sells Infinity and DCM or they used to. I would shop for speakers for what they are and worry about how to pay for them after you have decided.

I listened to a JM Lab system for home theater not too long ago that was excellent for $1500 for all 5 speakers and a sub.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-03, 01:37 PM

It depends on what you want. Klipsch are pretty good speakers and so are Polk and I know that Polk customer service is awesome. I broke one of my tweeters once moving and called them up and they sent on out in a week for free. Not sure about Klipsch customer service though.
Old 06-09-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Polk, Klipsch and Polk just fine, but if you're looking at Best Buy, have a look at the Athena line. They're made by the same Canadian company that makes (IIRC) NHT and Mirage. They're great speakers. The top floor-standing models Best Buy carries sells for $600 a pair, the center channel is $179. I'm not sure what the surrounds will cost you.

And remember, friends don't let friends by Bose.
Old 06-09-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pestario
I'd love to consider other brands and I appreciate the advice, however I am limited to Best Buy, Circuit city type stores since the only way my wife will let me get them is throough the financing plans.
Most independent audio stores have their own financing plans. It would be worth it to find a local retailer through the dealer locator sections of some speaker sites such as:

www.psbspeakers.com
www.paradigm.com

for starters and give them a listen.

If you live in a town with Good Guy stores, they just started carrying the Monitor Audio (www.monitoraudio.com) line of speakers

Just because you need to finance your purchase doesn't mean you have to settle for second rate speakers.
Old 06-11-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll second the opinion to talk to some of your local dealers. In the long run, you're probably going to be happier with a purchase of something like Paradigm, PSB, Monitor, or B&W's for the same money.
Old 06-12-03, 11:25 AM

I have bose, they're good not great (The VCS-10 made a huge difference over the center cube BTW). I had polk audio floor standing speakers & liked them alot. Klipsch, Monitor, Paradigm are excellent choices if the budget allows.
Old 06-12-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like (and own) Polk speakers, but I think if I had to do it all again (and had a little bit more money) I would go for Paradigm. They are very high quality and sound really good. However in your situation and price range I would choose Polks. Try to get last years model cheap after this years model comes out.
Old 06-13-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Very happy Klipsch owner (Legend Series; KLF20; L&R front channel), I highly recommend them. Never had any occasion to use customer service, I've had them over 2 years.

Polk are very thin sounding & twangy- not my style, but some people like them.

Bose =

Last edited by inri222; 06-13-03 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-14-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by inri222
Polk are very thin sounding & twangy- not my style, but some people like them.
I disagree, I've had some lower-end Polk speakers for over a year and they sound nice and even. In fact, sometimes they seem a bit too bassy for me.

I'd say Polk or a number of the other speakers users are mentioning. Avoid Bose, it's like buying a Ford Pinto for BMW prices.
Old 06-14-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own the Klipsch Reference 3's which I pieced together on a budget from a Pawn Shop, e-bay and Hi-Fi Buy Clearance. Tweeter doesn't carry Klipsch anymore and Best Buy prices the Klipsch Synergy at MSRP for some reason. If your budget is $2k, you could easily get a $4K set of speakers if you took your time and didn't mind buying used.
Old 06-15-03, 02:25 AM

I have a set of Bose 301's as my mains , then 3 V-100's as center and rear speakers. Then a JBL subwoofer. Have had them for almost 7 years now I think. I mainly watch DVD's and the sound still throws me (getting up and answering the door when it was actually sound in the movie lol) I spent under $500 for all 5 of the Bose speakers. I know the limitiations of them but they still sound great for what I use them for.

Guess I'm the only person happy with a set of Bose. lol They just work well for my space(12' x 26' lving room) and what I use them for. Never regeretted buying them.

Now If i was buying new today ..... I do agree their are some better choices for the money when you're talking about spending $2k.
Old 06-16-03, 10:13 PM
AOD

Have you considered or looked at JBL? I think they make very good speakers in fact. I own the ND310 mains and like them a lot. Just tossing in my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-03, 07:27 AM
Cool New Member

I'm also going to throw in you might should give JBL a listen. The "S" or Studio line has a great sound and you can find many great reviews out there. I have the S312s, S-Center, S36s with an SVS sub... and I'm enjoying everything I through at it.