Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Polaroid portable DVD players... any thoughts/reviews?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-03, 12:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Polaroid's got a 7" portable DVD player with a car power jack, MP3 playback, and other stuff for $299. Does anyone know how Polaroid is at making portable DVD players? Are there any comparable portable DVD players for under $350? I've heard about the Apex one going for around $250 at Circuit City, but people here aren't impressed by it.
Old 06-08-03, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought the polaroid , and i like it a lot

mine is also region free, and macrovision free
Old 06-11-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What played do you have that is region free? I would love to get a portable that is somewhat affordable that would be able to play all my region two disks.
Old 06-12-03, 12:16 PM
Suspended

I tested it and it worked on

region 0,1,2,3,4

the region 0 was cannibal holocaust
region 2 was Convoy
region 3, robocop and Army of Darkness
region 4, Chopper
Old 06-18-03, 11:11 AM
Admin Emeritus

Best Buy is having a sale on their portables this week, so I went ahead and picked this one up. Screen is nice and big, but if you stretch the pic to its full size (still OAR), it looks fuzzy... dropping it down to a smaller size makes it look nice and clear. Volume is alright if it's right in front of you in the car, but if you're in the back and it's in the front, it's pretty hard to hear, if not impossible. Not sure about its region-free-ness... I don't have any non-R1 discs. A/V cables are included, and outputting picture and signal to my hotel room TV worked really well. It also has an optical out, but no cables included for that.

I'm going to see about getting a device that will broadcast the audio signal into my radio, so that I can play the sound over my speakers, if such a device exists and is inexpensive.
Old 06-21-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling

I'm going to see about getting a device that will broadcast the audio signal into my radio, so that I can play the sound over my speakers, if such a device exists and is inexpensive.
Does your car have a tape player? If so you can use the tape that comes with car cd players. That's what I do.

My former car had a broken tape deck so I bought the device that plays the signal over the radio. They sell it at Best Buy. It did a pretty good job, but then my radio started having other problems and I haven't tried it in the new car-I just use the cassette.

I decided to buy the Polaroid today and if I don't like it I have 30 days to return it. It was an open box special and was lowered to $260.

I noticed the rubber feet on the bottom easily come off. In fact, one if already missing so I have to check the car.
Old 06-24-03, 12:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

I only have a CD player in my car. I went to Radio Shack and got an FM transmitter for $20-30 that works GREAT.

I've warmed up to this player a lot. I've been doing some painting in the house my girlfriend is moving into, and traffic is always a monster here in DC, and being able to watch movies during both those times has been really cool.
Old 06-24-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by lcnickell
I tested it and it worked on

region 0,1,2,3,4

the region 0 was cannibal holocaust
region 2 was Convoy
region 3, robocop and Army of Darkness
region 4, Chopper
I have one Region 2 disc that I bought a few years back on Ebay before I knew any better. I put it in the Polaroid and it said "Wrong Region".
Old 08-30-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just picked this unit up myself. So far seems to be a great value for the money. Open Box special for $259 plus I picked up the warranty. I'll just make sure I get an extra battery before it expires and I'll get my money's worth. AC cord, DC cord, headphone splitter, RCA jacks. Not much else to buy. I checked it out a little last night and it was able to play a DVD that my Toshiba 5900 pixelates on. Agree the volume will be tough in a noisy car. But the kids will probably use the headphone jacks anyway. For me it'll be for traveling and hotel room usage.
Old 08-31-03, 05:46 PM

There is another thread with info on how to set the Polaroid portable player to region-0.

Thong
Old 09-11-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
I only have a CD player in my car. I went to Radio Shack and got an FM transmitter for $20-30 that works GREAT.

Static, can you let me in on what you got? Been using this during business trips and would be nice to listen along at least.