Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I want this DLP set, have a few questions about resoltion.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the Samsung DLP sets and I want one, my only concern is that it converts everything to 720P. Is this good, bad or what? I do know that 1080i has more scan lines, but 720P is preogressive. Basically are signals in 1080i and 480P not going to look good running at 720P?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-03-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know much about these sets but I have heard various reports about numerous quality control issues, so I would suggest doing extensive research before making a purchase.
This is the place to start AVS Forums
Old 06-03-03, 11:01 AM

I own the 43" Samsung DLP and the only thing I can really say about its conversion to 720P is that if you don't have a good quality digital cable/ high def feed then your picture will look awful. The technology only converts signals under 720P to that level. Anything with high resolution will most likely be at 1080i and won't have to be converted.

I first hooked the TV up to analog cable which gives this beautiful set no justice at all. Then I installed digital cable for high definition televisions. It improved the quality greatly but there are some channels that come through very grainy and poor. Those channels seem to be more or less from 2 - 40, everything above looks damn good - clear, sharp, bright, etc. When I watch the high definition channels, its sharper than watching a DVD and the quality is astounding.

Regular cable feeds do not do this TV justice but if you hook it up for high definition channels and plan on watching a lot of movies on progressive scan, then it is well worth the money and you should be pleased.
Old 06-03-03, 09:46 PM
AOD

There's a couple of links to the avs forum inside my thread below. Hope they answer your questions. Best of luck.

DLP thread
Old 06-03-03, 10:24 PM

EVERYTHING is converted to 720p. It's a fixed panel digital display with a 1280x720 native resolution.