DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help! Recievers Sony STR-DE895/B vs. Yamaha HTR-5590

Old 06-02-03, 05:02 PM

Help! Recievers Sony STR-DE895/B vs. Yamaha HTR-5590

Hello,

My old Sony Reciever is making a humming noise so it's time to replace it. I want to pick one up this week the next years model that replaces my Sony is the STR-DE895/B, which cots $380.

The Yamaha HTR-5590 costs $750, they seem to have similar feature but have heard that the Yamaha is worth the difference in price. Is it worth almost $400 more than the Sony?

Any advice or info is appreciated.

Thank You
Old 06-03-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What exact features are you looking for? Looks like you're also basing the comparison on power rating. If so, you could probably go with a Yamaha model that has a lower power rating. Why? The amps on the non-ES Sony's bite the big one. The "100 watt per channel" rating of the Sony will give you less real power and muddier sound than a 75W Yamaha (like the 5560 for only $300), guaranteed. Yamahas (and Denons, H-K's, etc.) have beefy high-current amps. Sony's lower-end amps are anemic. I'd pick the 5560 over the Sony even if the Sony were only $200. SOund quality is important, and in my experience the consumer-grade SOny receivers don't have it. Just lots of useless bells'n'whistles. (Can you tell I really don't like the Sony low-end receivers that I've owned and heard? $^)
Old 06-03-03, 08:41 PM

Well I've had the Sony STR-DE835 model for nearly 3 years and it's great. Sure the higher end (more expensive) receivers may sound better but probably only to the trained ear. I have good speakers as well and have no complaints. That's doesn't mean I wouldn't still upgrade to a Sony ES model when I can justify the cost. Maybe in a year or two.
Old 06-04-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You missed my point completely. For the same price (in the roughly sub-$700 range, below ES level), you can get a *much* better-sounding receiver for the same price as an anemic Sony. And you don't need a golden ear to tell the difference. A simple a/b test will do. Or listening to a friend's set of the same speakers on a different receiver. And wondering how the sound got so much clearer and less harsh.
Old 06-04-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sony
Old 06-04-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
You missed my point completely. For the same price (in the roughly sub-$700 range, below ES level), you can get a *much* better-sounding receiver for the same price as an anemic Sony. And you don't need a golden ear to tell the difference. A simple a/b test will do. Or listening to a friend's set of the same speakers on a different receiver. And wondering how the sound got so much clearer and less harsh.
I agree. There are much better receivers than the Sony out there for the money.
Old 06-04-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IMHO the consumer line of Sony receivers are not very good compared to their ES couterparts.

I would also look at Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha (other models).
Old 06-04-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GMSLKIS, please elaborate. Unless you are simply stating what to avoid! $^) Sony components have tons of bells and whistles (although the majority of their sound modes are unlistenable and many of the adjustment options are unnecessary). You can get quality similar to their ~$1k ES receiver amps in Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha/H-K receivers for well under $500.

But, I concur with the above 2 posts. My last receiver was a Denon (upgraded to a Yamaha for DTS and ProLogic II). It also sounded sweet, clear, and wide-open with my less-efficient NHT speakers.

One more detailed comment: The sound modes on the new Yamaha receivers are very listenable, and don't sound like you're sitting in a tiled bathroom. Thet even have an 'enhanced' mode for DD/DTS that adds a bit of spaciousness without sounding too 'echoey.'

Sorry for going on a lot, but the relatively poor quality of entry-level Sony receivers is a real sore spot with me. I owned one and almost replaced my speakers because they sounded strained and muddy, even at moderate volumes. Switching to Yamaha and Denon receivers have made a *world* of difference. (And going from a "110 w/ch" Sony to a 70 w/ch Yamaha gave me much cleaner *and* louder sound. I went from convincing myself that my system was acceptable, to pure listening joy, by ditching the Sony.)

I still occasionally check out Sony receivers (including a recent a/b testing at J&R 2-3 months ago when shopping for a new receiver). And it bugs me when people recommend the lower-end Sony stuff because you don't need a trained ear at all to hear the difference, if you actually *compare* it to better quality receivers. It's one thing to say "I like my Sony" but I'm willing to bet those that do haven't done a side-by-side. And I really want to help others avoid buying what I see as relative crap when they can get much better sound quality for the same price or cheaper. Sorry, Sony owners, byut before you flame me why not do an actual a/b test with 2 receivers on a set of good speakers?
Old 06-04-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone who knows anything about A/V Receivers knows that for the under $1000 range, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon are the only real choices. Sony receivers are junk. Trash. Might as well buy a generic brand.
Old 06-04-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'd add H-K to your short list. But yeah, I agree completely. I've owned Sony, Denon and Yamaha (I only upgrade when necessary, not on a whim!) and I've listened to all of the above plus a few others in the sub-$500 range.

Also, the new Panasonic 100 & 200 receivers have been spoken well of lately. That may be related to a recent top rating in Consumer Reports, though...
Old 06-04-03, 11:18 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joshic you might want to broaden your horizons there are at least 4 more manufacturers that make great quality product let me introduce them.

NAD
Marantz
Harmon Kardon
Outlaw