Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is there really that big a difference between Sammy HLN507and HLN5065?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-02-03, 01:21 AM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help fast. I was debating between the two tv sets and was wondering if there really was that big a difference to warrant the price difference between the two (besides the Faroujda chip in the HLN 507 (which my XP-50 already has)). Did a quick search but nothing came back with exactly what I was wondering. Thanks.
Old 06-02-03, 06:25 AM
AOD

Nevermind. I did some more research and answered my own question. The ONLY difference is cosmetics and different numerical designations (i.e. HLN507 vs. HLN5065). Here is some info straight from the horses mouth (Samsung) with some info to confirm this.

HLN differences info 1

HLN differences info 2

Best of luck. I'm off to get my HLN5065!

Last edited by AOD; 06-02-03 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-02-03, 11:58 PM

Let us know what yo think of the HLN5065. I just bought one last week and I'm not very happy. I think my expectations were a little high though. Here are my complaints about this TV:

1 - this set really is very bad OOTB! Banding & Clay/Sunburn looking faces. I've solved these problems for the most part through calibration. Much happier with the set now as it relates to these issues although I understand if I get it ISF calibrated it will look even better but not really seriously thinking about that right now. I'd rather spend the money on some other toys.

2 - Internal reflections! Coming from a direct view 36", I never new this problem existed with rear projections. It is rather annoying and may be a deal breaker for me.

The problem with this is I don't really know what I would replace this set with. I do know I don't want a CRT rear projector. I have 4 kids who love to watch TV during the day and play Nintendo. Burn in is a concern with me. If it was just me, I would get a CRT rear projection TV and I might still have internal reflection problems anyhow. Besides, I don't think I could get a 50+ incher into my basement (stairs are very narrow and low clearance with the door). I barely got my 36" CRT up down those stairs. And 90lbs makes this tv really nice to move. We completly rearranged our basement for this TV and love the new setup! We'd have to go back to the old setup if we got anything else.

The funny thing is my wife! She was against spending any money on a new set until she saw the Samsung! She loves it despite the flaws and actually has refused to help me take it back! He line is "No one in this house will help you carry up from the basement". I guess I should be lucky I have a high 'wife approval factor" with this set. She calls it 'her TV' now!

Like I said earlier, I have 4 kids who love Nintendo. Game Cube ROCKS on this set! I'm sure XBOX would look even better. PS2, probably just as good as Game Cube.

Direct feed from SD cable is acceptable. Feed from my TiVo: Poor, even on best quality. Can't wait for HD TiVo! Hope it gets here by Christmas!

Anyhow, I'm thinking of picking up a Samsung SIR-T151 HD receiver. Best Buy has an 'open box' for $300. Hoping that I can get a little more off that price. Would love to see this set with some HD programing.

Let us know what you think about your new toy and how HD programing looks (if you have access to it)
Old 06-04-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Originally posted by I.Like.It
Let us know what you think about your new toy and how HD programing looks (if you have access to it)
I had digital cable hooked up earlier today on the HLN5065 I bought last week and was able to watch a half hour or so of the HD travelogues on PBS before I had to come back to work. The picture is stunning (the cable guy sat on the couch gaping at it for about five minutes ), however the color banding still occurs here and there.

I hope I don't notice the banding problems as much when I'm actually watching a movie or TV show and not just staring at pretty pictures (and actively seeking out the flaws).
Originally posted by I.Like.It
Like I said earlier, I have 4 kids who love Nintendo. Game Cube ROCKS on this set! I'm sure XBOX would look even better. PS2, probably just as good as Game Cube.
The XBOX games I've played looked great, I haven't hooked up my Cube or PS2 yet.
Old 06-05-03, 06:36 AM
AOD

Looks like I might have to wait a little while longer. It appears the HLN5065 is selling better that I thought. All of the local (east bay area, CA) Best Buy's seem to be out and there are 14 backordered at the warehouse. The sales rep said that 80 are due at the warehouse by the end of the week. (fingers crossed)
Old 06-05-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not exactly sure what the difference between my HLM5065 and an HLN5065 are, but I'm very happy with it.
Old 06-14-03, 09:20 PM
AOD

*Update*

Just got my HLN-5065 and let me tell you, it has the absolute best picture I have ever seen. Even though it's only been a day, I am thoroughly satisfied with this purchase. Those of you who are on the fence on whether or not to buy a DLP tv, I think it is worth every penny. It took me a long time to finally decide on a model I liked and I believe I found it. Those of you who are wondering if there is a difference between the HLN-5065 and the HLN-507, the ONLY difference is cosmetics--that's it. I posted a very thorough guide below if there are any questions. As with any other televisions there are pros and cons, but the pros FAR outweigh the cons with this set. EXCELLENT! Best wishes.

Quest for the best tv