Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Very specific TV question...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-29-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen several TV related threads, but none of them answered my question, so here goes:
I'm looking for recommendations on a TV with the following specs:

Rear Projection
HDTV (1080i and 480p)
48-55"
16X9
under $2500

CNet recommends the 46" Sony, but it needs extensive professional calibration. We bought my father-in-law the 55" Mitsubishi and that one is great but a little expensive.

I watch very, very little TV (almost none), but DVDs all the time. I own an XBox and play with some frequency. I am most interested in image quality, even at the expense of some size.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to pick up one of the entry level Mitsubishi's for your price range. They have numerous series in the same size.
Old 05-29-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vote is for a Mitsubishi Gold or Platinum series. Stay away from Gold Plus or Platinum Plus unless you want a built in tuner.
I got my Gold series for just over $2600 and it's a 65" so I would imagine if you shop around you can find one in your price range.

However I would still recommend getting a professional ISF calibration no matter which TV you ultimately choose. My Mitsu was good out of the box but after a full calibration by one of the top guys in the field (Gregg Lowenn) the difference was amazing.

Best $600 I ever spent..... except for the $2600 for the TV I guess
Old 05-29-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put in a third vote for the Mitsubishi. Platinum if you have the money. And the Avia calibrating disc for when you get the TV.
Old 05-29-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur with the Mitsubishi vote. Plus an Avia disc and a membership to hometheaterspot.com. They have a great forum with lots of Mitsu tech experts (they tend to like the Mitsu rptv's there), and tons of info (with membership - in the 'tweaks' section) that will let you do some really good adjustment to make the picture shine. Besides the color/tint/contrast/etc. of the standard Avia disc and user settings, you can also use a simple code or 2 to access the service menus to straighten out the geometry (*no* rptv will have really great geometry out of the box) and adjust the overscan properly, etc. And with the 64-point user menu convergence, you'll have an awesome picture. (I have last year's 65" Platinum model.) Yes, an ISF calibration will be even beter, but a *lot* more expensive. If cost isn't an issue, then go for that as well.