Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

anyone use a projector

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

anyone use a projector

Old 05-26-03, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone use a projector

After doing a ton of research I decided to purchase an infocus x1 for $899. I was looking at 49 inch rptv's but was shown a demo of an x1 and was blown away. I budget5ed around 1500 for the TV. So now I can get a screen or build one. Has anyone used a projector and if so what are your thoughts
Old 05-26-03, 09:58 PM

I'm using a projector, but it's substantially different from the X1. There's no other way to get a true "big theater" experience at home right now. I guess Mitsubishi's upcoming Alpha 82 (82" widescreen LCOS rear projection TV) may come close.

You're going to need good ambient light control. In terms of your screen, it depends on what size you're planning on, but you'll probably want something gray/silver based, and higher than unity gain.
Old 05-26-03, 11:21 PM

My ambient light is completely controllable. I've been reading the DIY sites and the consensus is parkland plastic. My only concern is I'm moving in 3 to 4 months any suggestions?
Old 05-27-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

drexel: Hows the performance on that projector? Are you satisfied with the image? $899 is pretty inexpensive for a projector, but if you say it's good, maybe I'll look at some of the lower end ones. It would be better than a 32" Wega for the same price, if it's decent
Old 05-27-03, 12:25 AM

BDSHORT I get it on Friday. The demo I saw blew away anything I ever thought would be possible for undr 5 grand. It was really impressive here is a link to an avs forum where the X1 is talked about all the time
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=68
Old 05-27-03, 01:33 AM

Parkland plastics is a good option, especially for the cost. If you want to go up from there, you can always paint it (ie. GooSystems).
Old 05-27-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: anyone use a projector

Originally posted by drexel
After doing a ton of research I decided to purchase an infocus x1 for $899. I was looking at 49 inch rptv's but was shown a demo of an x1 and was blown away. I budget5ed around 1500 for the TV. So now I can get a screen or build one. Has anyone used a projector and if so what are your thoughts
I am close to finishing my theater. I have my Sharp XVZ-10000U
sitting in a box waiting for my screen to be delivered.

If you have the room and budget the current DLP2 projectors are outstanding.
Old 05-27-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're moving in 4 months, just think how much work you're saving yourself .

for the money, i think you did the right thing.
i haven't seen the x1 in person, but it's gotten great buzz over on avs and the people that own it seem happy.

i would have concerns about the svga rez, since i still see some screendoor occasionally with my xvga, but if you keep the screen size down a little you should be ok. (you should still be able to get a bigger image than you would with a $1500 rp).

as far as screens go, since you are moving i would just make a quick screen with some 1x2 wood pieces for a frame, and a few yards of blackout cloth.
this has the virtue of being easily transportable (just unscrew the wood and roll it up) then when you get settled, if you want to use some goo on it, you should have a really nice sceen for the money.
i wish i could get my hands on some of this parkland stuff, but it isn't available in my area.
i have a DIY screen that i've been very happy with, although i may try some goo on it over the summer. i think though that the lower gain of the raw BO cloth helps to minimize the appearence of artifacts and such.

definitely get yourself a breakout cable and a decent progressive player, unless you are already using an HTPC.

other than that-have fun and welcome to the club!
Old 05-27-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the X1 is a great deal at $899. it won't beat out the projectors in the $2500 and up range...but it will give you a cinema feel in your own home. enjoy!
Old 05-28-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Edit...
Nevermind; I found what I was asking about.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 05-28-03 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

Front Projection is a great alternative. I have the X1's "Nemesis" the Sanyo PLV-Z1. I actually sold a Sony KW57H40 (57" Wide RPTV) to buy this item. I ended up saving a grand after the sale.

Light control is essential for a great experience. As for a portable screens you might have to look into a brand name pull down screen. I don't think there are a whole lot of portable DIY options right now.

Mind you I am using a wood frame and Coated Celtic Cloth screen (120" muahhahaah ) ) and it only cost me about 100 CAD. Losing a 100 dollars is painful, but I am already thinking of building a bigger screen anyway. :] It never stops.

Daniel I

Att: TheMadMonk - I believe the X1 MSRP from Infocus has recently dropped AGAIN to $999 from $1299. And there was a 100 dollar rebate kicking around as well (expired?). Just saw your edited post, you work fast! Happy hunting!

Last edited by Daniel I; 05-28-03 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gotapex
I guess Mitsubishi's upcoming Alpha 82 (82" widescreen LCOS rear projection TV) may come close.
good LORD! That's both huge and expensive. Toshiba's got a 57" LCOS RPTV that's like $9k.
Old 05-28-03, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
good LORD! That's both huge and expensive. Toshiba's got a 57" LCOS RPTV that's like $9k.
Yes, with a street price of about $6k. Toshiba's replacement for that one, the 57HL83, will be $5499 MSRP. The 65HL83 will be $7499 MSRP, both of which come out this fall.