Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC XV-N50BK from HKFlix?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Did a search on this and couldn't find anything, so...

My trusty old Pioneer DV-333 player looks like it's starting to bite the dust, and I'd really like a quality progressive scan region-free player that does PAL to NTSC conversion to replace it. My family and I are going to shell out for a Toshiba 65HDX82 pretty soon, so I'd like to keep this new purchase relatively low... in the $200 or less range. I see HKFlix has this JVC XV-N50BK model "expertly modifed" to be region free, and I'm wondering how it compares to a Malata 520 (which seems to be everyone's favorite) and some of the other players they offer, especially in the areas of progressive scan quality, scaling, and proper PAL conversion. I'd really rather not spend $270 on a player if a $200 one will do just as nice a job.

Anyone have any advice or experience with this model?
Old 05-23-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the Toshiba SD-3900, only ~$100. Has all the features of the JVC and only half the price, the only thing is that you have to use the remote every time you play a non R1 dvd.
Old 05-23-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I got the JVC a while back, still going strong as my main player. i like it better than the cheaper region free players, faster access, the cheap players would have a delay on every action.
Old 05-23-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: JVC XV-N50BK from HKFlix?

Originally posted by CloudVader
Hi all,

Did a search on this and couldn't find anything, so...

My trusty old Pioneer DV-333 player looks like it's starting to bite the dust, and I'd really like a quality progressive scan region-free player that does PAL to NTSC conversion to replace it. My family and I are going to shell out for a Toshiba 65HDX82 pretty soon, so I'd like to keep this new purchase relatively low... in the $200 or less range. I see HKFlix has this JVC XV-N50BK model "expertly modifed" to be region free, and I'm wondering how it compares to a Malata 520 (which seems to be everyone's favorite) and some of the other players they offer, especially in the areas of progressive scan quality, scaling, and proper PAL conversion. I'd really rather not spend $270 on a player if a $200 one will do just as nice a job.

Anyone have any advice or experience with this model?
With a tv that nice I wouldn't skimp when it comes to the DVD player. I have an ISF'd Mits 65411 and a Malata 520. Although I have never used the JVC you mentioned I can tell you that the Malata looks really nice on this TV. I have not had any problem with it, but it does have a few minor problems.
1. No power button on remote
2. Doesn't remember your place on the disc when you turn the power off.

Other than that it's great. That being said I would never use it for my main R1 player. I use it strictly for other region and non-animorphic discs (it's great for these because of the scaling)

On a TV that big I feel I need better video quality than it can offer. The Malata and the JVC both have the chroma bug, which some people are more sensitive to than others. I see it but it's a minor annoyance since I only use it as a secondary player.

For your tv I would highly recommend a player with the Faroujda (sp?) DCDi chipset such as was used in the RP-82. This player is no longer available, but the Panny Xp-30 and Xp-50, which uses the same chips may be. Also the Denon 1600 which I use and has a superb picture.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might be worth it to you to spend the extra money on a nicer player, and the if multi-region playback is something you really need consider a second cheap player like the Cyberhome or the aforementioned Tosh 3900. Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-28-03, 10:01 PM

The only real reason to get a Malata or Jaton instead of a JVC is if you need the incremental zoom function to eliminate overscan. If you don't need that function, by all means, a JVC will do the trick wonderfully.
Old 05-31-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I have two Malatas (the 520 and the earlier model) and although they perform reasonably well, the remotes are pretty bad and the menus aren't much better. They're pretty clunky to use and sometimes I get error messages.

I sprung for a JVC N50BK (from HKflix) because it was cheap and wanted to give it a try because I had heard good things about the JVCs. I am very pleased the JVC--a good remote and easy to navigate menus and a very good picture. So far I've had no problems and the player is very stable. (It almost performs as well as my main players--Panasonic RP-82 and XP-50.) For discs other than Region 1, I enthusiastically prefer it over the Malata.

(I was under the impression that both the Matala and JVC do not have the chroma bug. (Maybe I'm wrong?))