Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How to hook up turntable to my receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new Onkyo receiver without any given connections for turntables. I tried just hooking the turntable's RCA cables into one of the Tape connections. I thought it might work because I have a newer turntable without a grounding wire. However, when the record was playing there was no sound. Is there any way I can hook up my turntable to my receiver or am I out of luck?
Thanks for your help!
Old 05-21-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phonographs need to be amplified, either on the turntable, between the turntable and the receiver, or on the receiver if it has a special phono input. It sounds like your Onkyo doesn't have a phono input. If it does, unplug the turntable from 'TAPE' and plug it into 'Phono' and it should work.

Check your turntable. Many of them have a built in amplifier that allows you to hook it up to a receiver without phono inputs. If it does, there's going to be a switch on it somewhere to turn it on. If it's got a built in amp and it's on, it should work fine through any receiver.

Lastly, if neither of those are an option, you can buy a phono preamp. You plug the turntable into the preamp, and the preamp into your receiver like any other component. These range from very cheap to very expensive. If you're going on the cheap side check with Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=970%2D1018
Old 05-21-03, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, there is no Phono input. I'll look for a switch, otherwise I'm off to Radio Shack. Thanks for your help.