Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Will this player be alot better than my PS/2?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have some money now and want to invest in a good DVD player. I'm not talking about some budget DVD player, but at the same time I'm not talking about one with ALL the bells and whistles. I basically want a solid DVD player that has excellent picture and is easy to use. Right now I have a Playstation 2 for my DVD player and I'm wondering if this one is going to be alot better? Sony DVP-NS755V. I heard that this DVD was one of the best rated players and can be had for a shade over $200. Anyone have any experiences with this player? Or have any other suggestions around the $200 range? I just want a good quality progressive scan DVD player that is alot better than my PS/2. The ability to play CDs and CD-Rs would be nice, too.

Thanks!

Last edited by NaturalMystic79; 05-18-03 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-18-03, 08:18 PM

If I were you I wouldn't waste my money on a new DVD player, unless you want a 5 disc carosuol, or you want your universal remote to control everything. I would better spend maybe 300-400 on a home theatre, one without a dvd player would be nice, and space saving. Get the Component cables for PS/2. They are 30 bucks. Get the Sony DVD remote, it does things the regular PS remote can't do. Hook up the PS2 audio to the home theatre. A better way to spend 300-400 bucks. The ps2, offers most things a solid DVD player can do, progresive scan, DTS, DOlby surround, component video, except it can't hold more than 1 disc, or play backups. Also forgot the mention, I don't know if its me, but certain DVD's will skip a bit, IE Young Guns, and Cast Away. Thats a major problem I have with my some of my DVD players. I have about 5 at home, and Young Guns and Cast Away skip on 4 of them.

Last edited by dcgotenks; 05-18-03 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-18-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a HDTV then I would not hesitate to buy a stand alone DVD player! Almost every DVD player out there will give you superior video and audio then a PS2 or X-Box. I would suggest you find a DVD player with the Faroujda de-interlacing chip. Tweeters still has some Panasonic RP62's (the ones with no "b" in the serial number indicating they have the faroujda chip in it) for $99. The newer Panasonic players have a much inferior Panasonic all-in-one chip that gives you a noticably lesser picture quality. The Sony players are also good but a bit to expensive for what other manufacturer put out of equal quality.
Old 05-19-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PS2 blows when it comes to DVD playback. I'm sure any standalone player $75 should give you better picture and playback options.
Old 05-19-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dcgotenks
The ps2, offers most things a solid DVD player can do, progresive scan,
Negative. Prog scan support for the PS2 is brand spanking new, as in last week. I highly doubt that the Marley man here owns one of those... Of course, I could be wrong...

Originally posted by Frank S
The newer Panasonic players have a much inferior Panasonic all-in-one chip that gives you a noticably lesser picture quality
This is vastly overblown. The picture on the new Pannys is very solid, not as nice as the S-F modles but still solid... I own both.

Originally posted by matome
The PS2 blows when it comes to DVD playback.
Blows is a little harsh IMHO but I generally agree... A good standalone should yield a better picture.

Question? Why do you need a prog scan player? If you have a HDTV and you're running a PS2 as your main player, I would suggest an upgrade pronto as that should look like crap. If you don't own a HDTV, you don't need a prog scan player. If you're buying for the future, I guess I can understand that...
Old 05-19-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago

This is vastly overblown. The picture on the new Pannys is very solid, not as nice as the S-F modles but still solid... I own both.
I guess it matters the type TV you view it on. I use a Pioneer 58" HDTV and there is a quite noticable difference in the picture quality of the RP62 with the Faroudja chip (I own as a secondary player to my RP91) and the one without the Faroudja chip (which I brought home from my sisters house to test out).
Old 05-19-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Frank S
I guess it matters the type TV you view it on. I use a Pioneer 58" HDTV and there is a quite noticable difference in the picture quality of the RP62 with the Faroudja chip (I own as a secondary player to my RP91) and the one without the Faroudja chip (which I brought home from my sisters house to test out).
Well, I have a 47" Panny HDTV and the differences, after calibrating, are not that drastic to these eyes... Obviously, as your screen size increases the more you may notice. Anyhoo... The PQ with the new Pannys is comparable to any other < $200 player on the market IMHO... Let's not forget, the S-F chipped machines are pretty damn_nice. Getting them for the price point that Panny released them at was a steal...
Old 05-19-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Well, I have a 47" Panny HDTV and the differences, after calibrating, are not that drastic to these eyes... Obviously, as your screen size increases the more you may notice. Anyhoo... The PQ with the new Pannys is comparable to any other < $200 player on the market IMHO... Let's not forget, the S-F chipped machines are pretty damn_nice. Getting them for the price point that Panny released them at was a steal...
Don't get me wrong... I am not saying the non-Faroudja players are garbage but that there is a noticable difference to me and I am a bit of a stickler with picture quality.