Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

[newbie] I'm not sure if my TV is interlaced - should I go with a Mediamatics chip?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

[newbie] I'm not sure if my TV is interlaced - should I go with a Mediamatics chip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. This is probably a really rudimentary question, but I checked the FAQ at the head of the forum and did a search and came up empty, so I figured it was kosher to ask.

I want to buy a region-free DVD player (preferably one that doesn't require a hack via the remote), and I'm still trying to decide between the Malata 3600 and the JVC 600. In doing my research, I found a Mediamatics FAQ which said that the chipset doesn't function too well with interlaced TVs. My questions, then, are as follows:

Could I get around the interlaced problems by plugging the player into the TV via the S-video input rather than the RCA ins? Right now I have my DishNetwork box plugged into the S-Video input, so it'd take a little bit of futzing around. Alternately, is the interlacing problem only fixed by plugging the player in through component input? Or am I just being screwed by my $300 Sharp TV?

Anyway. I know this is a really stupid question, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-27-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your TV is interlaced and will be through any input you use, even component. If you swiych the player to progressive you will get no picture.
Old 04-27-03, 09:43 PM

Hmm. So should I just eliminate the Mediamatics chipset from consideration, or is it probably going to be tolerable? Will it make a difference if I get the JVC player instead of the Malata?

Thanks for your help, BTW.
Old 04-28-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would still get the Malata. I have one which I use on a HDTV and love it. Ive never used it on an analog tv but Im sure the picture would be fine, maybe someone who has one (or the 520 , same player without built in reciever, which is what I have) hooked to an analog tv can let us know thier impressions.

When I switch my player to interlaced it looks only slightly less sharp, but my TV has a built in line doubler so YMMV. I would hook it to an analog tv to test it but it is so integrated into my HT setup that its a real pain in the *** to move it.

good luck, and if you have anymore questions about Malata players Id be happy to help.
Old 04-28-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by trdn89
Hmm. So should I just eliminate the Mediamatics chipset from consideration, or is it probably going to be tolerable? Will it make a difference if I get the JVC player instead of the Malata?
I have a Malata and have used it on both interlaced and progressive TVs. There are occasionally problems with combing artifacts on either (due to the way the chip works), but by and large most things look fine. Generally, when there's a problem you just have to play around with the various Video Filter modes until you find one that takes care of it. Sometimes that's annoying, but hardly the end of the world.

The Malatas are still the best region-free players out there and I recommend them heartily.
Old 04-28-03, 02:32 PM

Thanks a bunch. Looks like I'll be getting a 520 then

One other question - this is going to be my primary player, so is R1 playback affected? Or is it just PAL?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-28-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
It's both.

The problem with Mediamatics is that it runs all video signals through the progressive scan deinterlacing, regardless of whether you are displaying it that way or not. If you are watching on an interlaced television, it deinterlaces the signal and then re-interlaces it, which is needlessly wasteful.

I use the Malata as a secondary player only. If you are really concerned about quality, there are few region-free units I would recommend as a primary player.