DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Advice on Kenwood 6070 or new reciever for that matter. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/285825-advice-kenwood-6070-new-reciever-matter.html)

Redskins02 04-13-03 06:56 PM

Advice on Kenwood 6070 or new reciever for that matter.

o.k. My current reciever is a 3 1/2 year old sony that only has Prologic 1 /// dd 5.1..... VERY cheap.

I have been saving up here recently for a new reiever to go along with my toshiba sd4800 and Mitsu 55511. I usually use my reciver for 90% DVD, HT, DVD A.... and about 10% for music cds.... anyway I say this reciever at my local best buy for 329. IS THAT A STEAL... should i really jump on this... If this reciever is comparable HT wise to 1000 dollar recievers like I have heard some say. I guess I am just skeptical because I dont want to be disappointed in 2 months and telling myself I should have just plunked down the money for the new Onkyo...

I am not saying that it has to be better than the new Onkyo... its just for that price I want to know if I am getting something comparably close while saving 700 bucks.... Anyway ANY HELP would be appriciated as this is a Closeout Item

pcdoctor 04-16-03 06:22 PM

What does the Onkyo have that the Kenwood doesn't?
Go to each manufacturer's website and compare the specs.

basketb 04-16-03 09:44 PM

Though I can't compare the Kenwood 6070 to any other (more expensive) receiver, I can tell you that I'm pretty happy with the smaller Kenwood VR-6060. I bought it four month ago for $275 and so far I'm totally satisfied with it. For $329, I'd probably get the VR-6070 (if it's an open box, inspect it carefully though).
Additionally, I'd suggest to spend the money you save on the receiver for good speakers.

Jazzy Hunter 04-16-03 11:29 PM

$320? Get it now.

It is the cheapest receiver with "THX Selected" you can find anywhere. I bought the 6070 at $469. Very powerful with many good features. Make sure you also need back center speaker since this is a 6.1 receiver that supports dts ES, dts Matrix, DD EX and THX EX.

pcdoctor 04-17-03 01:40 AM

If I had the choice between the two, I'd go with the Kenwood.

nekobus 04-18-03 08:08 PM

Be sure to check the bandwidth ratings of the receiver if you are going to use component switching.

lordzeppelin 04-19-03 01:45 AM

THX is bunk. Grab a Denon 1803 for $359 and be happy, powered, and crisp.

Dazed 04-20-03 04:37 PM

Does anyone know what Sony's A/V Receivers are like.

I was looking at the STR DE985 but also thinking maybe I should go for the Denon 1803 or the Kenwood VR-6070.

I like Sony's TV products but have no clue whether there audio department is as good.

Also since im on limited budget do people suggest spending more on receiver and getting lesser speakers or get the better speakers and a lesser receiver ?

lordzeppelin 04-20-03 07:36 PM

Denon Denon Denon. Every sony receiver I have ever heard is underpowered and kind of flat. and I'm always listening to new stuff. For the money, Denon, HK, (higher line) Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, and a few other small company's (Outlaw, NAD), are all miles ahead of what you can get at CC or BB B&M stores. Some of the Sony ES series are actually pretty nice, but they just don't have the price/performance ratio that, say the Denon 1803 offers.

As far as speakers go...That's where to put the money. Better speakers can make a receiver sound better. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

nekobus 04-20-03 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Dazed
Does anyone know what Sony's A/V Receivers are like.

Avoid Sony's low priced receivers---very poor performance for the money.

I would add Onkyo to the list that lordzeppelin posted.