Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone own or have experience with Hitachi TVs?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 10:51 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for a large screen (43"+) tv. I've viewed the Sony's, Samsungs and Mitsu's, some appear better than others. I'm still researching

But the other day I was at CC and a Hitachi projection TV REALLY stood out in picture quality over all the others. Unfortunately, I didn't get the model # or specs.
I was wondering if anyone owns a Hitachi and/or impressions of their products as you do not really see them as much at your major retailers like CC or Best Buy

I am looking for a high quality picture for DVD's and Video Games. I'm not interested in HDTV right now but may be in the future. I have digital cable.

Based on these uses, any suggestions for a specific model is also apprceciated. (I know there are a lot of these threads and I am looking at them)
Old 04-09-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I was in your situation just a couple of months ago.

I did tons of research and ended up buying the Hitachi

65SWX20B

Hitachi makes one of the best lenses on the market. You pay more, but the picture is breath taking on HDTV and on a progressive DVD.

Check this out - I found it helpful in researching lenses and other television information:

http://www.hitachi.com/tv/discover/t...d_proj00.shtml

If you have any other questions just ask - I would be happy to help you out.
Old 04-09-03, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks CPA-ESQ, this is a big help. Hitachi is a little pricier but you seem to get what you pay for. Definately a consideration now.

Now is your model fully HDTV or do you need the antenna/converter? I'm asking because I'm not sure I can get HDTV from my local cable co (I'm checking) and I've read that a regualr cable signal on a HDTV can sometimes display even worse than a regular tv. So that might play into the model I choose.
Old 04-10-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've owned 3 Hitachis because of their superior picture. My only gripes are their interfaces and remotes, which could stand a little improvement. IMO, nobody exceeds Mitsubishi in those categories.
Old 04-10-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well I'm assuming that you get your signal from cable.

IMHO - It's a waste of $ to get a HDTV with a built in tuner. All a built in tuner allows you to do is get your local stations Over The Air (OTA) with an antenna. I can not get OTA signal where I live. So Unless you only watch TV via OTA antenna spending an extra $1000 on a built in decoder is not a wise decision.

However, if you use cable... your provider will provide you with a HDTV set-top converter box for Free or for $5 a month. You will need this box to decode their signal - Whether or not you have a decoder built into your TV.

I use DTV - and had to go out and buy a HD converter box for them. ($200-$500).

Now Standard Definition (SD) cable or satellite (Digital or not) looks worse on a HDTV. It's like looking at a picture in the newspaper through a magnifying glass.

However, most HD boxes and TV's "Upcovert" the signal. Mine does - and most of my TV viewing looks like a Progressive Scan DVD with a quality rating of 7-8. (smooth, nice color, but fine details get a "combing" effect)

Before I got my HD box the quality was not so great.. but I can't say that SD quality was ever great.

Progressive Scan DVDs and HDTV are awesome. (I watch mostly DVDs) I'll watch some network programming, sports, news... on cable etc.

Let me know if you need anything else.