Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV and Digital Cable......what will I get?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-06-03, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a town and currently subscribe to our AT&T digital cable.

suppose I go out and buy an HDTV plasma, will I get any stations in HDTV? Do I need to subscribe to some service? What channels will I get in HDTV? Any help would be greatly appreciated?
Old 04-07-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll only get a monitor that is capable of displaying HDTV content.

You'll need to buy something that will feed the HDTV signals to the new TV. This is usually an OTA (over the air) HDTV receiver, which requires the use of an antenna to receive the OTA HDTV broadcasts (if your area has nearby by broadcasters of HDTV). Samsung makes the SIR-T151, and Sony/Zenith makes an OTA HDTV receiver (Sony's model is a rebadges Zenith), but I forget the model number, something like xxx-420.

If you have ATT Digital Cable, it's most likely been converted to Comcast Cable, which has been rolling out HDTV on their digital cable service, but it's totally dependent on where you live and whether Comcast in your area is offering HDTV content, though the pickings are sort of slim at the moment (HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, and perhaps Discovery-HD and HDnet). Eventually the cable companies will also be providing HDTV content from the main TV broadcasters (ABC, NBC, CBS, WB). FOX pushes out EDTV (480p, not 1080i) for their "High Resolution" broadcasts. It's DVD quality, but not HD quality.

The cable company will upgrade you to a new digital/HDTV cable box, and you'll be charged an extra $5/month to get the HDTV content they offer to your home. To get the Showtime-HD/HBO-HD channel, you simply have to subscribe to the normal Showtime and/or HBO packages from Comcast. The HDTV cable box will most probably by the Motorola DCT-5100, which has the appropriate outputs to feed your HDTV set for the HDTV content, and the conventional coax/composite video outputs as well. It might also have s-video output and a digital audio output if your receiver can handle it.
Old 04-07-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some links you and others interested in HDTV may find useful:

HDTV on Cable:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=188007

HDTV Programming Synopsis:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=164671
Old 04-07-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
If you have ATT Digital Cable, it's most likely been converted to Comcast Cable, which has been rolling out HDTV on their digital cable service, but it's totally dependent on where you live and whether Comcast in your area is offering HDTV content, though the pickings are sort of slim at the moment (HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, and perhaps Discovery-HD and HDnet). Eventually the cable companies will also be providing HDTV content from the main TV broadcasters (ABC, NBC, CBS, WB). FOX pushes out EDTV (480p, not 1080i) for their "High Resolution" broadcasts. It's DVD quality, but not HD quality.
I just got my HD box from Comcast this weekend. Here in Boston they offer: NBC, ABC, PBS, HBO-HD, and Showtime-HD. The last two are dependant on subscribing to the appropriate packages.

It's not a lot of programming, but when you do watch something the quality is much better than regular cable.

I suggest that if you do sign up for Comcast's HD service, that as soon as it is hooked up you email their Customer Service center and request more HD channels. It's only if we complain that they will know the demand is out there. If they get enough complaints, they're going to have to eventually pick up at least CBS and hopefully Fox's EDTV.
Old 04-07-03, 04:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Josh Z
I just got my HD box from Comcast this weekend. Here in Boston they offer: NBC, ABC, PBS, HBO-HD, and Showtime-HD. The last two are dependant on subscribing to the appropriate packages.

Glad you brought this up. I had forgotten to start a thread about it.

HBO and Showtime HD channels. Are these in 1080i? Reason I ask is that DVDs currently have max res of 480p (we all know this). Why would I think that the resolution and picture quality of movies on HBO-HD would be twice that of a remastered DVD. If the source coming from HBO is 1080i, then why isn't that what is being used when releasing new DVDs?

I have been to Sam's and have seen HD demos. But, I haven't seen Showtime or HBO in HD. I guess the bottom line is -- If Gladiator is showing on HBO-HD, will I get that much better of a picture watching it on HBO than on my DVD player? If the quality isn't that much better, I'd rather spend the money on DVDs each month. I already have 700+ DVDs. I'm sure there isn't that much of interest to me on HBO and Showtime -HDs that I don't already have on DVD.

Thanks for any future enlightening, all!

Last edited by Wolf Husky; 04-07-03 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wolf Husky
HBO and Showtime HD channels. Are these in 1080i? Reason I ask is that DVDs currently have max res of 480p (we all know this). Why would I think that the resolution and picture quality of movies on HBO-HD would be twice that of a remastered DVD.

The HBO and Showtime stations are 1080i, yes. Most HD channels are, except ABC who use the 720p standard instead.

The "twice the quality" remark is relative. It depends on the quality of the signal coming to you (digital cable compresses the signal more than over-the-air transmissions) and the quality of your equipment. It is better than DVD, though, yes.

If the source coming from HBO is 1080i, then why isn't that what is being used when releasing new DVDs?
DVD is not a high-definition format. The max it is capable of displaying is 480p. A standard for the new HD-DVD format has not yet been agreed upon.

I have been to Sam's and have seen HD demos. But, I haven't seen Showtime or HBO in HD. I guess the bottom line is -- If Gladiator is showing on HBO-HD, will I get that much better of a picture watching it on HBO than on my DVD player?
In this specific case, no. The HBO channel crops all movies to a 16:9 aspect ratio regardless of the original format. Gladiator is a 2.35:1 movie, and so loses picture off the sides for the HBO transmission.
Old 04-07-03, 06:50 PM
Banned

thanks for all the replies.

i live in bridgewater MA, about 40 min south of boston.

we have AT&T digital......not sure if they even offer an HDTV package.......they just brought in digital in the last year and a half....anyway, suppose i buy one of those 42" mid-range (panasonic, toshiba, etc) fully HDTV ready plasma sets.....i thought that meant i dont need anything else.....?

Last edited by MACD23; 04-07-03 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by MACD23
i thought that meant i dont need anything else.....?
All HDTV-ready means is that your TV is ready to display an HD input. You still need HD-DVD (not out), an HD cable box, HD satellite receiver, or HD tuner for broadcast stations.

There are a few TVs out there that have HD tuners in them already. Personally, I wouldn't run out and buy a TV just because it has the tuner. I have no idea where I'll be in the summer, let alone in 2 yrs, 4yrs, etc. For me, Dish Network (been customer for 6 years) is the way to go. It is mobile and easily supports my travel and moving habits. I live in the Rockies, and have no chance of getting "air wave" HDTV so a tuner is useless for me.

If you were to live in NY or a major city that has "air wave" HD channels, a tuner may do you good. But you never really know what may happen in future. You could be transferred to a small Oklahoma town and never use that tuner again.
Old 04-08-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

we have AT&T digital......not sure if they even offer an HDTV package.......they just brought in digital in the last year and a half....

AT&T Broadband was bought out by Comcast. Check your recent statements. There is no more AT&T Broadband cable.

Comcast is slowly rolling HDTV service out through Massachusetts. Give their customer service line a call and see if it is available in your area.

anyway, suppose i buy one of those 42" mid-range (panasonic, toshiba, etc) fully HDTV ready plasma sets.....i thought that meant i dont need anything else.....?
No, all it means is that the set is ready for HDTV. Hence the name "HDTV-ready". You still need an HD source to plug into it. This means either an HD cable box or an HD decoder connected to an antennae or satellite service.
Old 04-08-03, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
AT&T Broadband was bought out by Comcast.
And Comcast is in the middle of being bought out by another company. They start with a 'B' but don't remember the name. I have no idea if this is nationwide or if it is only for the Rocky Mountains.

There is no more AT&T Broadband cable.
They still answer the phone as AT&T BB. Their trucks (around here) still say AT&T on them.

The AT&T-Comcast merger may be similar to the Dish Network-DirecTV merger. Although owned by Dish Network, DirecTV stilll operates under their own name. I think the biggest value in that merger was removing the redundancy of satellites, uplink centers, and technicians. Of course, DirecTV didn't have their own technicians that I know of. They used Radio Shack installers and they do the $___iest jobs I have ever seen.
Old 04-08-03, 04:03 PM
Banned

[quoet]AT&T Broadband was bought out by Comcast. Check your recent statements. There is no more AT&T Broadband cable.

Comcast is slowly rolling HDTV service out through Massachusetts. Give their customer service line a call and see if it is available in your area.[/quote]

no *****...i had no idea. i will call them, thanks...so i assume in time they will offer an optional HDTV cable box?
Old 04-08-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They still answer the phone as AT&T BB. Their trucks (around here) still say AT&T on them.

The AT&T-Comcast merger may be similar to the Dish Network-DirecTV merger. Although owned by Dish Network, DirecTV stilll operates under their own name.
Here in Boston everything says Comcast now. I think in time the same will happen in your area but they are rolling it out slowly.
Old 04-08-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

no *****...i had no idea. i will call them, thanks...so i assume in time they will offer an optional HDTV cable box?
Comcast delivered my HD cable box this weekend. It costs an extra $5 a month for that box. The question is just whether HD service is available in your area yet. You may be able to get the box right now, or you may have to wait a couple of months.
Old 04-08-03, 11:06 PM

The AT&T-Comcast merger may be similar to the Dish Network-DirecTV merger. Although owned by Dish Network, DirecTV stilll operates under their own name. I think the biggest value in that merger was removing the redundancy of satellites, uplink centers, and technicians. Of course, DirecTV didn't have their own technicians that I know of. They used Radio Shack installers and they do the $___iest jobs I have ever seen.
The buy out of directv by Dish Network was called off.
Old 04-09-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Comcast is in the middle of being bought out by another company. They start with a 'B' but don't remember the name. I have no idea if this is nationwide or if it is only for the Rocky Mountains.
Brighthouse? Time Warner in Orlando just became Brighthouse networks.
Old 04-09-03, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Shay
The buy out of directv by Dish Network was called off.
Really? Guess I have been living in the dark. Thanks for the info. Will research why.

Originally posted by dgmayor
Brighthouse? Time Warner in Orlando just became Brighthouse networks.
Naa, it isn't Brighthouse. (I just called the office.) They are now Bresnan Communications. Checking their website, they have acquired what used to be AT&T Broadband in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana (the Rockies).