Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Servicing - How bad is it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

My Sony STRDE635 receiver seems to be going bad. It will not accept input from either the optical or co-axial inputs. Regular stereo input is fine, but no more 5.1 sound from movies I've tried both digital outputs on the DVD player, the optical out on the LD player, and the co-axial out on the digital cable box (on a 5.1 movie on Starz) and nothing comes through. Hooking up the RCA left and right (uggh) works though.

The unit is about 3 years old, so it's not under warranty. Is this going to be reasonable to repair or should I just unload it for $50 to somebody who just wants a stereo receiver and get something else?

Of course, I'll be on vacation next week and won't have sound for my movies
Old 04-03-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just answered my own question.

from Sony's service site
The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $119.00 (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.
Uggh.
Old 04-03-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another reason why buying a sony DE wasn't a good idea. (No offense to people who have them...I own a 545 with *the hiss* and it drives me nuts!)

-pedagogue
Old 04-03-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Sony ES line has a 5 yr parts and labor warranty. I am replacing my ES30 with an ES4 this week.
Old 04-03-03, 09:36 PM
Rest in Peace

Man I must have been born with 24K gold under my teeth. I am 50+ years old I have bought more Sony products than you can think of, but *never* had to have any fixed! Sold them before any problems and never got screamed at *ever*.

All who bought my used Sony items were pleased with their purchase and me for being so knowlegeable. Knowledge about the product, keeping original owner manuals and listing what I found the product could do; that was 'not' in the manual.

Luck or don't wait for a problem sell after a few years of ownership, I lost some money in not keeping it. You shouldn't cheat an honest man/woman "Honesty is still the best policy"
Old 04-03-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, that doesn't sound too unreasonable when you consider return shipping is included. On a receiver like that, the shipping will be about $20 by itself. Factor in an hour or two of a technician's time and parts, and that's not bad.

I would just double check the settings on your receiver first to make sure the settings for the digital inputs didn't get changed or something.
Old 04-04-03, 02:58 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by danol
Man I must have been born with 24K gold under my teeth. I am 50+ years old I have bought more Sony products than you can think of, but *never* had to have any fixed! Sold them before any problems and never got screamed at *ever*.

I, too, have never had a problem with a Sony product. Most likely, I will continue buying Sony forever. It's easy for pedagogue to say "... a reason not to buy Sony" but anyone can say that about any product as soon as someone posts a problem about something.

In fact, no one I have ever known has ever had problems with Sony. For that matter, and to be fair, I can't really remember anyone I know having a problem with any piece of electronics. Rowing for KU, cheering at KSU, rowing at KSU, working law enforcement for 2 years, working TGI Fridays for 5 years, being an active ice climber and caver in the Rockies, and so many other things.... I probably still know about 2,000 people by name... at least. My address is a binder. My phone bills are well over $200 a month, and I travel about 4 months a year. Certainly someone I have known has had a problem with a Sony, Pany, or whatever. But no one has ever brought it up.

Pedagogue... what brand do you support? Can I assume you say "another reason not to buy" in every thread posted about any other brand where someone had a problem?
Old 04-04-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Actually, that doesn't sound too unreasonable when you consider return shipping is included. On a receiver like that, the shipping will be about $20 by itself. Factor in an hour or two of a technician's time and parts, and that's not bad.

I would just double check the settings on your receiver first to make sure the settings for the digital inputs didn't get changed or something.
Actually, it isn't that bad, but I can get an Onkyo TXSR500 for $285 or so, and that would have DTS (which my sony doesn't)

I've been checking the settings, and I saw something about unplugging it to reset it on Sony's support site, so I unplugged it before I left for work this morning.
Old 04-04-03, 10:31 AM
Rest in Peace

Jason

I hope you read this before unplugging your Sony, 24 hours unplugged will do much more, than the few that your planning on; if that's your problem to begin with!

Repair service hours or there of are about $75 so even if it takes a service technician 1.5 hours, they will will still charge you $150 and maybe a few dollars for shipping they are in business to make money. That's why a few of us are telling you to buy modern, like you said it doesn't have DTS (Digital Theater System) an important factor to a lot of enthusiests of Home Theater!

I unplug my HDTV for 24 hours as their is still juice in the system for certain electronic componets to drain only after all the juice is drained and that doesn't happen after only 8 to 12 hours do things reset or go to factory settings.

Last edited by danol; 04-04-03 at 10:37 AM.