Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

100+ DVD's - Best Displays??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all

Building a home theatre area in my living room. Going to purchase a 46" rear proj Sony. I currently have my 100+ DVD collection in Ikea CD/DVD shelves. I was wondering if any of you had/know of a more formal looking furniture piece to display your collection. Most of what I see is either too deep or does not display the spines. Anyone have a pic/link to DVD LR type DVD storage? Most of what I have seen is home theatre furniture that may not be the best to display DVD's. Any input would help.

BTW - while my DVD player and receiver can go under the TV in the stand - I am left with my no place for my Direct TV receiver - any suggestions on placements? Seems like a waste to buy a piece of furniture just for the receiver.
Old 03-26-03, 10:57 AM

i use a boltz rack. they are VERY nice, and can hold quite a few dvd's/cd's, and are expandable. they come in 3 colors. either of them could fit into a variety of decor.

www.boltz.com
Old 03-27-03, 12:11 PM

All these DVD posts and no one else has input on how to display? The racks are nice but I was looking more for a LR type piece of furniture - read between the lines - my wife wants a presentable piece!
Old 03-27-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, 'boltz' stuff is not very warm and presentable! (Nor is it inexpensive.) What you might go for is one of the shallow black racks with adjustable shelves. These will go well with the tv if it too is black. (Better yet, go for a Mitsubishi rptv-they're black, and give an awesome picture!) There are some that are nicer as well, such as the cherry&black spinning racks, which can hold lots of DVDs nicely without taking up too much lateral space. One example is at http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/d...UVICASE_TMS880 although there are other similar ones available.
Old 03-27-03, 07:29 PM

i disagree, boltz stuff is quite nice. it may not be everyone's style, but it doesnt look bad at all. the black is very nice for most homes.

just tell your wife to make a compromise...
Old 03-27-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Build your own?

As you can see on the left is a high shelf that is almost 20 feet long and holds about 500 DVDs. On the right hand side of the fireplace, you can see built in shelfs that can hold another 300 or so DVDs.

It's cheap. About $100 of MDF wood and some paint.
Old 03-27-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
Build your own?

As you can see on the left is a high shelf that is almost 20 feet long and holds about 500 DVDs. On the right hand side of the fireplace, you can see built in shelfs that can hold another 300 or so DVDs.

It's cheap. About $100 of MDF wood and some paint.
Where are your speakers Randy? That seems like a difficult setup to get the speakers squared up with the TV in the corner!?!

Sonicflood
Old 03-28-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Sonicflood
Where are your speakers Randy? That seems like a difficult setup to get the speakers squared up with the TV in the corner!?!

Sonicflood
Argh. You really know how to hurt a guy. Find his achilles heal in his home theater.

Not sure if you are serious or recalling my lamenting that the TV was off-center. It's really not too bad. Sonically it seems fine really.

The subwoofer is behind the plasma. The left front channel is in the corner behind the cat (the wife keeps covering my speakers). The center channel is between some books above the right corner of the plasma. The right front channel is visible above the right corner of the fireplace. Of course the rear channels are behind you, so turn around.

Really, it sounds okay for now. In a very short time, that wall to the left of the room will be gone and a new wall be appear 8 feet farther out. And then the plasma will be in the middle of the room. And I will move the speakers.
Old 03-28-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also suggest making your own shelves.

I made these out of about 60$ worth of wood and stain. I don't know if you can tell but the edges are really nicely beveled and look really good. I have 500 dvds on here and 1 1/3 shelves left. I built it in three peices so when i need to expand i can just build another one. I have always liked Randy's rack also. It just seems a little high.
Old 03-28-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have always liked Randy's rack also. It just seems a little high.
I love it when you talk that way.

Your racks look cool. I think a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to make things like this, as long as you have a router and saw.

My shelf looks high, but it's reachable mostly, and keeps the little kids and El Scorcho from borrowing my DVDs. For me, it's a matter of necessity. I don't have the floor space for a dedicated shelving unit. I have the vertical wall space. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have those high (below the ceiling) shelves in most rooms in my house. They work great for book collections, trophy collections, and software.
Old 03-28-03, 10:34 AM

It's a plasma? Mount that sucker in front of the fireplace, or even above it when the fireplace isn't in use. What is directly opposite of the fireplace? Stick the plasma there. That 20 ft long rack looks perfect for creating a nice surround soundstage with a couple of small bookshelf speakers. The plasma should be your CENTERPIECE! Not tucked away in the corner like some old yearbook!
Old 03-28-03, 11:35 AM

Now we're talking - great set ups guys

don't think the turnstyle holder will make the cut but the homemade ones look nice. Alas - I have no skill with non DVD related tools! Maybe I can get the contractor to install some built in shelves.

Anyone else have DVD furniture out there?
Old 04-02-03, 07:06 PM
Rest in Peace

I have 4 Sauder brand cabinets with lockable swinging doors, I originally bought these for holding Vcr tapes. I found I could easily put DVD cases in, while most of my DVD collection was in 2 DVD 'changers' I own, exception Region 2 & 4 discs.

The Vcr cassettes are waiting for discs not made yet or OOP, for the company that made them are Out of Business years ago like Thorne-BMI.