Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can all my video sources be consolidated into one video output to my TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-26-03, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver without component video in/out. Now, I have video sources from ALL of the main connection types. I have dinky cable TV on the coaxial, 8-bit Nintendo on the RCA composite, HTPC Computer TV-out on the s-video, and an Xbox for games/dvds on the component out. Ony my 27" TV I have coax in (used), 2 composite RCA vid in (1 used), s-video in (used) and 1 set of component vid in(used)

My Yamaha receiver can only output video based on the type of source it originates from. In other words, I have to have RCA cables, S-video cables going from my receiver to my tv.

Do higher end A/V receivers allow ALL video sources to be output to a TV through a single video output type, preferably Composite? If this is possible I would only have 1 set of composite cables between my receiver and my tv which would save the hassle of all the video mode switching I have to do on my TV.

I sold my old feature-less Panny dvd player because I currently only have one composite input on my TV, and figured my dvd player in composite wouldn't compare to the dvd output of my xbox connected with component cables.
Old 03-26-03, 11:02 AM

the denon avr-3803 upsamples all video signals into a single component video output. the higher end pioneer elites do this as well.

the denon is $1,199. you will be over $1K if you want this feature.
Old 03-26-03, 11:22 AM

You might want to check out one of these:

http://www.svideo.com/com3.html
Old 03-26-03, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by paranoized
You might want to check out one of these:

http://www.svideo.com/com3.html
That's a pretty cool $99 solution. I may check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

That DENON AVR-3803 is now listed at around $850 through pricescan. It looks like a nice upgrade to my Yamaha. decisions, decisions....