Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Same rear sound using Sound&Vision HT Tune Up DVD

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a Pioneer vsx-d811 for my 5.1 HT and I have a wierd issue when I try the audio calibration with the Sound & Vision mag HT tune up DVD.

With the test tone from the receiver, all speakers and SW are sounding properly.

But when I try the speaker placement calibration, the SW does not sound and the rear speakers make the same sound when the right and left rears are highlighted. In other words, there is no distinction between right and left rear.

Anybody have any experience with this HT tuneup DVD?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Sound & Vision HT tuneup DVD, and all of the audio tests work fine - as it does for thousands of other people who have used it.

Check your speaker connections again. Something must not be hooked up correctly.
Old 03-17-03, 02:51 PM

Thats kind of what I figured, Joshic, but the speaker connections are correct because when I test the speakers with the receivers test tone(not the DVD), all the speakers sound properly and independent of each other.

I guess I'm hoping maybe someone with the same configuration has run across a similiar problem.
Old 03-17-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's just the dvd output giving a problem, then check your dvd-receiver connections. Disconnect the L/R audio between dvd and receiver if you have 'em, and check both the receiver and dvd menus to make sure you're enabling the digital audio/bitstream decoding.
Old 03-17-03, 04:10 PM

Sorry, I need to state some basic info to understand your setup. You mention a 5.1 setup, but are referring to the L/R rear speakers. Rear speakers are generally known as the 6th and 7th speakers behind the listening position. L/R Surround speakers are on the immediate L/R of the listening position. I'm making this point because the Pioneer 811 does have 7.1 connections.

If you are using a 7.1 setup, the rcvr may be able to send test tones to the rear speakers individually.
there is no distinction between right and left rear.
IIRC, the calibration can be done using DD or DTS tones. The DD and DTS decoders send the same signal to the rear speakers. I don't remember off the top of my head, does the S&V HT disk have the option to send tones to each rear speaker?

all speakers and SW are sounding properly
the SW does not sound
What is SW? software? soundwave? = S&V HT disc?
Old 03-17-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by digitalmanAZ

What is SW? software? soundwave? = S&V HT disc?
I took it to be SubWoofer
Old 03-18-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
It sounds like the receiver is not picking up the 5.1 signal and is decoding it as Pro-Logic instead. I would guess that the DVD player is not connected to the receiver properly and/or "Bitstream" has not been enabled in the player's menus. I would also make sure that the receiver is set to auto-detect the signal type.
Old 03-18-03, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

You need to connect the digital out from your dvd player to the DD (dolby digital) input on your reciever.
Old 03-18-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
You need to connect the digital out from your dvd player to the DD (dolby digital) input on your reciever.
Even if the cable is connected on some players you still have to go into the setup menu to activate DD and DTS out--e.g. Sony players are like this.
Old 03-18-03, 10:55 AM

Thanks alot for the input guys.

My dvd is hooked up to the receiver with analog RCA jacks while my digital optical cable arrives from partsexpress.com

I'll doublecheck the DVD settings to make sure that dd or dts is activated.

But I always thought that 5.1 and prologic were the same and would work with the analog rca jacks.
Old 03-18-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am curious what others think about this calibration disc. I bought it on Saturday and ran my existing system through it and thought it was wayyy more user friendly than the Avia or Video Essentials. I went out Sat. Night and bought the RS analog sound meter for $29.99.

I get to go through it again tomorrow when MY TOSHIBA 50HDX82 arrives!!!!! yay.
Old 03-18-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But I always thought that 5.1 and prologic were the same and would work with the analog rca jacks.
Prologic can work with the dual analog rca jacks. DD5.1 & dts needs to be sent via bitstream either through a coaxial digital connection or optical digital connection.
Old 03-18-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And with dual RCS jacks (and no DD5.1/DTS), you'll always get the same signal out of the rears because they do not have separate info when using stereo/ProLogic. Problem solved!

I haven't used S&V HT, but I found Avia *way* more user-friendly than Video Essentials.
Old 03-18-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RUDEDOG71

My dvd is hooked up to the receiver with analog RCA jacks while my digital optical cable arrives from partsexpress.com
As others mentioned, that would be your problem right there. Pro logic is an analog 2 channel source where the signal is split (by the receiver) across the various speakers. 5.1 (DD or DTS) is a digital signal where each speaker is programmed to sound individually at a certain moment. The receiver just decodes the data and sends the signal to the proper speaker. One of the biggest difference between the two aside from being A/D is that DPL has no seperate surrounds.

Tsar Chasm: I like the S&V disc, it's a comprehensive, inexpensive and easy to use DVD for callabrating the average home theater. I see no reason to spend a lot more cash on Avia for my setup, I think most of us are in the same situation.