Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a cheap DVD player for the kids

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-13-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wal-Mart and Best Buy both offer DVD players at under $50. Are these even worth the trouble?

This is for the kids, so they'll be using it with a 25" Sanyo Wal-Mart special TV with no sound beyond the TV stereo speakers.

I've heard some decent things about the APEX units at Wal-Mart, should I go that route?
Old 03-13-03, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The APEX unit is nice, if I were going to get one of those $50 models it would be that one.. Just make sure when you get it home you test out the unit.. they are known to be kind of buggy so just check it out and swap it if you have a problem.. I have one of the first APEX players and it still works fine..

also I know you don't need a progressive scan player but for $80 you can get the apex ad-2500 which is better quality model.. and free shipping at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nics&n=1036916

Last edited by PhYbEr; 03-13-03 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-15-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
I am upgrading to a Progressive Scan Player - it is in the mail to me now. My old DVD player is a Sony DVP-S360 (the one I am replacing). There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was purchased May 3, 2000 for $270 including NY Sales Tax. I am now in Tokyo Japan, so I expect at least 2 weeks before my new player arrives at my door. When it does arrive I would be willing to ship my old one to you for the cost of shipping (probably about $30 or so) plus $10 for my time. Interested? If so:
e-mail me here:

Regards,
danwiz
Old 03-15-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
P.S. - of course I have all original boxes, papers, cables, owner's manual and the like - all of that stuff would be included.

danwiz