DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   What is the best HT remote to get? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/278185-what-best-ht-remote-get.html)

drmoze 03-18-03 09:29 AM

The MX has a backlight button (works great), but I rarely use it because touch is usually good. By itself, the lcd uses little power. I suppose it depends on the batteries too, as cheap ones won't last in any device. The MX actually ships with Duracells, btw.

Cowran, I also have a Yamaha receiver, and it does default to sound modes based on input. But my video signals go direct to the tv (best to avoid extra video switching & cables when possible!) and so it really is critical to have one-button macros that change both audio and video inputs and switches the remote to the proper mode.

Hanson 03-19-03 12:17 PM

Another vote for the MX-500. This was an upgrade from the SL-9000 (which is a great little remote on its own), but it took a while before I started to appreciate the MX-500. But now I love it and so does my fiancee -- the SL-9000 had her shaking her head and yelling for me to come to the living room to change the channel. The ability to label some of the buttons on the MX-500 means she can switch back and forth between the Replay, VCR, and Tivo without any help. I also programmed a macro for DVD, so she's all set when she alone in the apt.

If you have a video switching receiver, you're going to need more than just power and volume controls.

Caliking 03-19-03 06:15 PM

Im interested in this

anyone know anything on this remote?

TLamm 03-21-03 05:01 PM

I bought an MX-500 and its perfect for me. You really have to decide between hard button and touch screen, then compare.

If I had a do-over, I would have bought the mx-700 as the macro capabilities are much greater... But the price is also much higher..

A pronto, or any other touch screen remote just wouldn't work for me. I watch most tv in the dark, and like other sat owners. use the guide, info, volume, channel, and the joystick all the time. The mx-500 fits nicely in the hand and makes it a snap to hit all of those keys..

I've had my mx-500 for 7 months now, and never had to use another remote since I bought it (I have a sat receiver, audio receiver, TV, DVD, and VCR).. Changed the batteries last week for the first time...

Cusm 03-21-03 07:36 PM

Go to buy.com they have the mx500 for $105, a pretty good deal, thanks to The Franchise from the hot deal sforum for the link and hte heads up.

digitalboy 03-31-03 12:28 PM

I have the tsu 2000 (Silver Pronto) and I love it. I got mine off ebay from a local (for me) seller with the docking station and rechargeable battery. I, too, was once a touch screen hater, as I owned a RC 2000 MK II. I bought this one for my wife since she could NEVER operate the Marantz. Nothing (IMHO) can beat the Pronto's for customizationability(is that a word? lol), ease of use, and difficulty of set up. However, once you DO set it up, it's a non-ending love affair.....

drmoze 03-31-03 02:28 PM

'customizability'! $^)

CPA-ESQ. 04-01-03 09:54 AM

I'm so close to pulling the triger on the MX500

Here are some questions I have:

1) can you hook this up to your PC and use software to load codes etc?

2) The buttons are key for me.. I'm used to the Tivo buttons and for those of you who use this remote - can you code the tivo FFd and Rwnd onto the buttons left and right of the control pad?

thanks for your help

drmoze 04-01-03 10:54 AM

You can code any function onto any button, as the MX-500 is primarily a learning remote. (It has device codes, but many folks like to blank them out and learn each code from the original remote, putting them where they want them.)

You can't hook the MX-500 to a PC, but some places sell a second remote with it as a package that you can hook to a PC, then learn from one to another. But, you probably don't need a PC at all. Any inexpensive One For All remote will be able to handle many of the advanced codes (there are tons of them available on a few remote forums, like remotecentral.com). Just punch in the 3-digit code and learn it to the MX-500. I have discrete codes (on/off, input, etc.) for all my devices doing it this way, and don't need a PC at all. I think the package w/2nd remote and cable runs about $150 or $160.

audrey 04-01-03 12:50 PM

Originally posted by drmoze
But, you probably don't need a PC at all. Any inexpensive One For All remote will be able to handle many of the advanced codes
Whether you "need" a PC connection or not depends largely on what equipment you have, what discreet commands you want to use, and how you intend to use/program your remote. There are lots of discreet codes the One For All/Radio Shack remotes do not support. A JP1 interface provides access to the vast library of Pronto codes, allows you to backup your remote, and simplifies creating and maintaining complex macros. Another, though more elegant and expensive option is IRClone (about $100) which provides a computer interface and Pronto code access for the MX500.

That said, most people probably do not "need" JP1. If the discreet codes you need are supported by the One For All remotes you can pick up a RS remote for under $20 to learn the codes to the MX500.

drmoze 04-01-03 02:36 PM

Apart from the Mitsubishi rptv 'trick' for direct inputs and *discrete* on/off codes, I was able to get all the other *discrete* codes I needed pretty easily from the various forums. (Yamaha receiver, Mitsu VCR, Panasonic DVD.)

Bru 04-09-03 08:40 AM

I have the sima sur-20 backlit touch screen remote. its a learning remote and you can customize the buttons. I love it and for someone like myself who doesnt want to spend over $100 for a remote the sima can be found on ebay for $40 or under open packaged. I got 2 on ebay and the best deal I ever got.

nice remote.

Caliking 06-15-03 01:38 AM

so has anybody heard anything about the harmony remote yet? i have been waiting to hear what people say but i havent. anyone here use it?

Mr. Salty 06-15-03 03:48 AM

Originally posted by Caliking
so has anybody heard anything about the harmony remote yet? i have been waiting to hear what people say but i havent. anyone here use it?
Have a look at the review over at Remote Central. I'm sure there's a thread discussing it in their forums, too.

Bcolon 06-15-03 07:26 AM

I also have the Sony RM AV3000. It is a great remote for about 100 bucks.

slateef 06-16-03 02:43 AM

surprised nobody mentioned the Rat Shack Kameleon...cool looking, easy to program / use, and cheap!

blaineo 06-16-03 12:01 PM

You can get the new Harmony Remote fo $135 if you call them direct and tell them you want the Infocomm Show Special.Just tell them you lost your order form I ordered one last week in RED. Cant wait.Very cool Remote

bga 06-20-03 05:35 PM

There's a OFA 8 device learning remote that you can get from Walmart for $20, and spend another $12 for a JP1 cable, if you don't want to spend $100+ for a remote. It's a big remote, though, and for something that controls 8 devices, OFA should probably be using an 8 KB EEROM instead of the 2KB EEROM they are using now. I use it to control a CD player, TV, 2 VCRs, 2 cable boxes, and a DVD player.

collven 06-21-03 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I spent a long time on remotecentral to get the right remote for my HT. I ended up purchasing the MX-500. Previously, I had the Sony vl900. I bought the 500 about 8 months ago and STILL haven't programmed it. How's that for lazy? It sits in the remote drawer along with 5-6 other discarded remotes.

The VL900 does everything you need for basic functionality and would be superb in a Sony setup. It is a definite one-hander. The only thing about it is there is no Tivo support.

One day, I will sit down and program the 500 and I know that I will be thrilled with it but until then, the 900 is my remote of choice.

I have the 900 as well. Seriously, this is an awesome remote, especially for the price. Check out the review of it at Remote Central . If you don't want to spend more than $100, or even $50, on a remote, this is the one for you.

Caliking 06-21-03 11:37 AM

My integra remote (came with a/v receiver) works wonderful. it has macro cycles and is pretty easy to use. someday im gonna want something more sexy but it is definately better than most!

SFY 08-11-03 04:19 PM

Originally posted by blaineo
You can get the new Harmony Remote fo $135 if you call them direct and tell them you want the Infocomm Show Special.Just tell them you lost your order form I ordered one last week in RED. Cant wait.Very cool Remote
$135 for the SST-768? Really? How do you like it?

discostu1337 08-11-03 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Bru
I have the sima sur-20 backlit touch screen remote. its a learning remote and you can customize the buttons. I love it and for someone like myself who doesnt want to spend over $100 for a remote the sima can be found on ebay for $40 or under open packaged. I got 2 on ebay and the best deal I ever got.

nice remote.

I also got one of these from my work. We literally go through 5-10 a week. They are usually incredibley easy to use, and look very cool and expensive. No hard buttons at all, just 8 programmable screens that glow green. I have not had any problems with it and would highly recommend it. Sima also has SUR-25 and SUR-35 now...with hard buttons and allowing control of 10-16 devices. I still prefer the look of an all touch-screen remote though.

Kromax 08-12-03 07:49 AM

Please consider this post another endorsement of the MX-500. It literally changed my life. Seriously.

AGuyNamedMike 08-12-03 09:53 PM

http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/HTM-800RFS.html

I... Want... This...

Jah-Wren Ryel 08-13-03 04:38 AM

I got my MX800 on ebay for like $260 shipped.