Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help selecting a new HDTV.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty new to this HT business so I've been trying to do some research on what'll make me happy. I've decided on a direct view HD ~32" TV. I'd like a 16:9 set, but realized that I don't really watch enough movies in that format to justify spending the extra money for it. The sets that I've found at the local stores are listed below. I'm hoping to stay below the $1500 range, but if someone can convince me I may be willing to dish out more. The set will be used in a medium sized room (around 300-400sqft) for casual TV, DVD and video game usage. It would probably break down to 80%, 5%, 15%. I also don't have digital cable right now. Will analog make my TV look like crap?

Right now I have no other components, I'm starting the house from scratch and decided to get the TV first.

Choice 1: Panny CT32HX42 $1,299. I've heard some negative comments about this set, but the picture looked good in the store.

Choice 2: Sony KV32HS500 $1,299. I've searched for this set, and haven't found too many negative comments, besides something about the geometry. I'm not too sure what that is yet, but it is a little worrisome.

Choice 3: Panny CT34WX52 $1,999. I know its way above my price and I don't watch too many movies in that format, but it just looks so darn good.

I'd like other suggestions. I haven't found too many Toshiba's around so I can't really shop for those.

Thanks a lot.

BTW: Is there a major difference between Avia and VE? Or will either work just as well?
Old 03-01-03, 02:04 PM

Well, if you don't watch too many DVDs i would personally just go for a Wega and save yourself $500. I just bought a 42" Samsung HDTV for $1040 at a Sears auction on Ebay, and although i have satellite the picture is not as good as i thought it would be. I still need to run the VE disc i just received, so the picture quality could improve afterwards.
Check out Ebay, and look for Sears' auctions. I saved $600 on my set all because it had a scrach on one side (and to this day i've yet to find it). Their units come standart with the maufacturer's warranty, and qualify for an extended service plan.
Old 03-01-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... I used to have a 20" Toshiba flat screen. I wanted to go a little bigger and get widescreen and play games in HD, so I started looking at 30" HDTV's by Samsung. I wanted to get a widescreen TV since I use my TV mostly for playing games. I originally set a budget of around $1000.

Then I did a lot of research at various forums to see what others thought. Basically the thinking is this... If you want to get HD, be prepared to fork over at least $2000. Otherwise you will get a poor quality set which you will have to replace soon anyway. So either spend at least $2000, or spend $500 on a regular TV and wait for prices to drop on good HDTVs.

You get what you pay for - especially on emerging technologies like HDTV. FYI - I went way over my budget and ended up with the Sony 34XBR800 (along with a $350 TV stand). But I am happy about my purchase and know it will serve me well for a long time.
Old 03-02-03, 08:36 PM

Standard Tv signals look pretty bad on an HDTV. Sat or cable...it doesn't matter. Folks go and buy a HDTV and then are dissapointed with their SAT signal or cable. This is pretty typical.

HOWEVER, High Def signals....well almost any HDTV will blow you away.
Old 03-02-03, 10:08 PM

Freud:
By High Def signals, do you mean Digital cable? Or is it HD shows on Digital cable?

Sorry, new to this and I'm starting to learn.
Old 03-03-03, 11:26 PM

Thanks Mee2,
I'm kind of leaning towards just picking up a WEGA and waiting to see how much the prices drop in a couple of years. I still really want an HDTV, but wouldn't want to spend extra money on a TV I won't be happy with in a couple of years.
Old 03-05-03, 01:34 AM

If I watch normal Digital Cable on a HDTV like the Sony will it look like crap? I figure every piece of snow that shows up on a regular tv will be doubled so it will be even worse looking than a normal TV. Is that right?
Old 03-07-03, 01:58 AM

Ken2,

"Digital Cable" is not High definition. High definition is programming that is delivered in either 720 progressive or 1080 interlaced.

Most of what you see now on "digital cable" is standard definition 480 interlaced. WHen an HDTV processes a standard definition signal it introduces a number of artifacts...most of which are nasty. You can feed a very clean standard definition DV signal and it will look poor on a HDTV set vs a SDTV set.

IMHO....HDTV is ONLY useful for Hi Definition material OR 480P DVD's. EVen 480i DVD's look worse on HD sets vs SD sets.

I've talked to several salesmen at local stores and they are constantly dealing with folks who buy HDTV's and then go bezerk because their cable signal looks worse on their new set than their 15 year old TV. Our local cable company is digital...but not HD yet.