Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Digital TV's, check out my choices!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 08:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some honest opinions on these two sets. Our family will be getting a new set soon! (can't wait!)

So..anyways. The Mitsubishi 48" WS RP (model: WS-A48) or the Toshiba 50" WS RP (model: 50H82)

Any info about these selections would be appreciated! I know I can count on your valued opinions about any HT equipment.
Old 02-27-03, 12:28 AM

Well,

The 48 inch set has the same size guns (7 inches) as the larger models so your picture should be quite bright and sharp.

Now, as far as choosing the WS-A48, I understand that some features were left out for the Best Buy model. I am sure that you would be able to find the 48311 (on which the a48 is based on) for a similar if not cheaper price.

Good Luck zkenny!
Old 02-27-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

as stated above i would be hesitant to buy the "watered down" Mits that best buy sells. neither of the sets you listed offer DVI with HDCP but the Toshiba is upgradeable as far as i know. the 50HDX82 (i think that's the number) comes with DVI.
Old 02-27-03, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

What exactly is DVI with HDCP important for?
Old 02-27-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVI is a relatively new type of digital connection. it keeps the signal in it's digital format from the source to the tv...all the other connection (s video, component, etc) switch it from digital to analog and back to digital. you get a sharper picture with fewer artifacts using DVI.

the HDCP part deals with copy protection. hollywood is afraid that people will be pirating their HD programming and want to prevent it. so they are pushing for HDCP copy protection as a part of future transmissions. what they want is to make it a requirement for HD programming...and to downrez the signal to a lower quality on all the other outputs of your cable box, satellite receiver, etc. so if they get their way the only way to actually see the HD image will be to use only components with DVI inputs. by keeping the entire path in the digital realm they feel they can better restrict unauthorized duplication. so while you may not need HDCP now (or HDMI which is a newer backwards compatible format) there is a good chance you will in the future. and DVI will give you a better picture so you should want it anyway.
Old 02-27-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What darthkim said. But definitely the mitsu. Plus *tons* of tweaking/adjustment options on hometheaterspot.com. Mitsu is the professional's rp choice (as is Sony for tubes). If you wait and/or shop around a bit, the 55-inchers might get down to your price range. Bigger is better... $^)
Old 02-28-03, 07:20 PM

I would also second the bigger is better =).
I almost bought the 55, but opted for the 65.. which i don't regret one bit.

These tv's have a tendency to "shrink" as time goes by...

Either way.. Good luck!
Old 03-01-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, we went with the Mitsu 65918 last year. Moved the old 4:3 50-inch to the bedroom.