Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

5-disc DVD changer recommendations?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I know the Panasonic CP-72 is a crowd favorite around here, but I don't think it's got the feature set I need... Here's a rough first draft of my criteria, in order of importance...

1. good interlaced picture quality
2. good progressive picture quality
3. CD random play: all discs on all tracks
4. good layer changes (memory buffer)
5. VCD play
6. random MP3 play
7. DVD conveniences: remotes, displays, zooms/speeds
8. DVD-R/DVD-RW play

If you use a changer, what model? How do you like it? Any complaints? Otherwise: any general recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump!

Any general advice on 5-disc changers? What's your experience?
Old 02-20-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also was looking at the Panasonic CP72, but it is only offered in silver - the black model was discontinued last August. I really wanted a black one (all my components + my stand are black) so I got the CP67.

I have the CP67 hooked up thru component video to my Sony 34XBR800. It does a great job with DVD pictures, and the changer feature is quite nice. MP3 playback is done nicely as well - it supports navigation through multiple folders on the MP3 disc. The CP67 will do random play on a single disc or random play across all discs - both with MP3 discs and CD-audio discs.

It also has VCD play and DVD-R playback. I think the only thing it can't do that is on your list above, is DVD-RW playback. But at $149 (after $30 mail-in-rebate), this player really gives a lot of bang for the buck. I like it a lot.
Old 02-20-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the only bad thing I can think of about the CP67 is that the buttons on the remote are quite small. but if you use a universal remote it shouldn't matter. personally I use my receiver's remote to control my TV, receiver, and DVD player so the bad DVD remote is not much of an issue to me.
Old 02-20-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joshic
The CP67 will do random play on a single disc or random play across all discs - both with MP3 discs and CD-audio discs.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...o&i=133DVCP67K

Are you sure? This page claims that MP3 discs can do "repeat play" but not "program play" or "random play"... It's not a make-or-break, but there are some other players that can do this for sure, so I'd love some confirmation if MP3s can be random after all on the 67...

Edit: There's also an Amazon reviewer who says: "This unit also will not let you randomly play songs on multiple CD's. It will shuffle the songs on a single CD, but not shuffle between CD's." I take it this guy's full of hot air?

Last edited by adamblast; 02-20-03 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What the...?!?! I just bought the Panasonic CP67 from Crutchfield literally a week ago for $179. Now it's $159?!?! I'm going to have to call them and see if I can get some money back. Thanks for the link!

Anyways... to answer your question, YES the MP3 discs will do random play on either a single disc or across multiple discs, just as I stated in an earlier post.

I know this to be a fact because I literally have the CP67 hooked up to my system, and tried it out myself with actual MP3 and CD discs. I can confirm that it works. Plus the manual that comes with the DVD player clearly explains how to do this as well. The Amazon reviewer is incorrect.

Edit: just called Crutchfield and got my $20 back no problem. You saved me $20. nice!

second edit: the way random play works is like this: you press [random] on the remote, then press [play] to start. it will randomly play CD or MP3 tracks. If the [CD sequential] button on the DVD is toggled on, it will play randomly across all discs. If the [CD sequential] button is toggled off, it will play randomly only on the selected disc. Again, all this is clearly described in the manual. The Amazon reviewer obviously did not read the manual. also when doing random play - say for example you have 2 DVD discs and 3 MP3 discs in the DVD player in random placement. The DVD player will intelligently skip over the DVD discs and randomly play only the MP3 discs. Like I said, this is a quality player. and now for only $130 after rebate, it's a really good value.

Last edited by Joshic; 02-21-03 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 11:41 AM

just a question:

are you gonna be watching 5 movies at the same time??

my point is why spending money on a carousel? my advise would be get a better single tray player for the same amount...

my 2¢ !
Old 02-21-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Tha Freak

my point is why spending money on a carousel?
My reason is this. I use the DVD player to play CDs. I don't have a separate CD player. And I like being able to use the carousel for that reason. Carousels rock for parties and social functions.

I did not think I would care about the carousel for DVDs, but I am finding it is pretty cool. I can leave in a demo DVD in one slot. For movies with more than one disk, I can put in two DVDs. Just did that for Band of Brothers.

I agree, if it was not about the CDs, I would have looked for a single disk player.

The other reason I went carousel is because there were few options for a good inexpensive player that did progressive output without the chroma bug. I chose the Panasonic CP-72.
Old 02-21-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tha Freak
just a question:

are you gonna be watching 5 movies at the same time??

my point is why spending money on a carousel? my advise would be get a better single tray player for the same amount...

my 2¢ !
It makes plenty of sense *if* the machine will also be doubling as your primary CD player, and you constantly randomize 5 CDs at once...

Since I'm already going to have 2 DVD players on this system (R1 and region-free) I want the them to support all my other disc functions. The R1 player will also be for CDs/CD-R/MP3, and the region-free player for VCD/SVCD/DVD-R etc...

Yes, there are many more terrific single-disc players to choose from while shopping, that's for sure... But there are several great changers too, and (oddly enough) they're not really anymore expensive...
Old 02-22-03, 02:51 PM

The CP-67 can be had for $150.98 shipped before rebate ($120.98 after rebate) at Crutchfield when using a MasterCard. Go through the following link (from MC Exclusives Online):

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rmc1cagb/index.html *

Joshic said:
I think the only thing it can't do that is on your list above, is DVD-RW playback.
According to one of the user reviews on Amazon, it will read DVD-RW. He did specify that it was DVD-RW v.01, but I couldn't find any reference to that standard (found 1.0, 1.1 and 1.1b). The player is listed on DVDR Help, but no one has tried it with DVD-RW. One contributor did say that it worked with DVD+RW and DVD+R.

KShan

*The fine print on the MC deal is:

-Not applicable on Bose products, Kicker products, Monster Cable products, Polk Audio home speakers, Tivoli Audio products, TVs, items marked "Call for Price", "Price Break", "Instant Rebate", Crutchfield package discount offers, "Scratch and Dent", or "Outlet" items.
-This promotion may not be combined with any other Crutchfield offer.
-This offer cannot be used to purchase gift certificates.
-You'll see the savings reflected in your 2nd order confirmation e-mail.
-Expires 2/28/03.
Old 02-23-03, 06:38 PM

are there any other players? I have the HK DVD5 and it was supposed to do MP3, but it doesnt. I have had the 3 disc JVC and 7 Disc JVC and they both royally sucked (picture quality and features) and they both broke after less than 6 months...returned and got new ones.
Old 02-23-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm more than happy with my CP-72. It's a fine player...
Old 07-21-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm going to bring this thread back, since a lot changes in 5 months...
I also am starting to look for a progressive scan multidisk changer. Prog scan b/c when we move we are going to get a digital widescreen TV, changer because I flip between disks often [there are some things I don't want to watch when the baby is roaming the house, and constantly swapping disks is annoying.]
Based on Adamblast's list of desired options, here are mine in order:

1. good interlaced picture quality
2. good progressive picture quality
2.5. multidisk resume [I might be in the middle of multiple disks.
3. random MP3 play
3.5 price-below 200

those are the most important, these later ones aren't a big deal for me
4. good layer changes (memory buffer)
5. VCD play
6. CD random play: all discs on all tracks
7. DVD conveniences: remotes, displays, zooms/speeds
8. DVD-R/DVD-RW play [not an issue yet, but might be once i get a new PC]
Old 07-21-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dvds4u
are there any other players? I have the HK DVD5 and it was supposed to do MP3, but it doesnt. I have had the 3 disc JVC and 7 Disc JVC and they both royally sucked (picture quality and features) and they both broke after less than 6 months...returned and got new ones.
Interesting... I've got this JVC 7 disc and love it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11803?v=glance

The image quality is better than my old Toshiba (which was a great player in its day), the set-up interface is terrific and the player offers terrific features (strobe, digest, powerful JPEG and MP3 capabiltes) that I haven't seen elsewhere.