Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

When will we see HDTV receivers drop in price?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had my 48" WS Mitsubishi TV for about a month now, and I'm getting the HDTV itch. Problem is at $500 - $800, I'm having trouble justifying the expense.

I do live in an area (Columbus) with seemingly good over-the-air HDTV signals. I also have a DirecTV/TIVO unit, so my ideal would be to get the HD version which should be released late this year. I'm not sure I can wait that long though, and I'm sure those units will be pretty darn expensive upon release. What are the chances the prices of the current HD receivers will drop to the $250 - $300 range relatively soon? Then I can TIVO regular broadcasts while enjoying HDTV broadcasts, which may also curb my "need" for the HD-TIVO unit later.

If the prices of new units aren't expected to drop any time soon, what's the best way to get a good refurbished unit?
Old 02-12-03, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get a Zenith HDV420 HDTV receiver for $400. If you're lucky you might find an open-box unit for only $300 at Circuit City.
Old 02-12-03, 07:39 PM

I saw a Panasonic TU-HDS20 at a local Best Buy today with a standard shelf tag (pre-printed; not a handwritten open-box tag) showing a price of $199. I think this is an older receiver, but can that price be right? I've been researching this model tonight on the web and it sure seems like a good deal.
Old 02-12-03, 10:05 PM

is it ota?
Old 02-12-03, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Mantecore
is it ota?
I think so:

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/dtvsettop.html
Old 02-13-03, 07:16 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Dah-Dee
I saw a Panasonic TU-HDS20 at a local Best Buy today with a standard shelf tag (pre-printed; not a handwritten open-box tag) showing a price of $199. I think this is an older receiver, but can that price be right? I've been researching this model tonight on the web and it sure seems like a good deal.
That does seem like a good deal. I'm watching a couple auctions on Ebay and that model still goes for $300 - $400.
Old 02-13-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
So long as the programming is limited I think it will still be a while. I am watching the Sony HD 200 but refuse to pay $799 to watch a handful of channels and programs.
Old 02-13-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another important question is, "When will HDTV receivers be worth their price?"

My point being, if you do any research of receivers at the HT sites, you'll see that every one of the new receivers ($500 - $800) still has significant bugs. I was actually ready to drop $700 on one of these until I read all of the reviews. In my opinion, for $700 this thing should be making me drinks while I watch TV; it sure as hell shouldn't still have bugs.

Old 02-13-03, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Sockmonkey
Another important question is, "When will HDTV receivers be worth their price?"

My point being, if you do any research of receivers at the HT sites, you'll see that every one of the new receivers ($500 - $800) still has significant bugs. I was actually ready to drop $700 on one of these until I read all of the reviews. In my opinion, for $700 this thing should be making me drinks while I watch TV; it sure as hell shouldn't still have bugs.

I agree; I was very surprised, reading reviews of various models as I hunted for info on that Panasonic, to see that there seem to be significant performance issues of one kind or another with just about every HDTV receiver out. That's disappointing given the rapid pace at which all things electronic/computerized seem to evolve these days.
Old 02-13-03, 11:38 AM

Now is an excellent time to get an open box deal. A lot of people bought them just for the Superbowl and now returned them to BB and especially CC (thanks to their "no problems with returns" ads). You might even be able to bargain if the store has a stack of open boxes.

I've had my Samsung 150 (OTA only) for almost a year and it's been worth it. Sit down and list the stuff that you watch regularly and the special events you watch and check to see if they're HD. Nearly all CBS and ABC series are HD, and NBC is growing. Special events are still hit or miss. But I can't wait for the Masters, which I missed last year and is supposed to be unbelievably gorgeous in HD. ESPN HD is coming too, but only on sat or cable.

My perception is that the older models (like the Panny mentioned above and my Samsung ) actually have fewer problems than the new models, when they started to add things like DVI. Do some research and if there are problems, there'll be info about it, especially in avsforum threads. Note that some HD PVRs are coming - a Zenith ota-only PVR is due in a couple months and should be out on time b/c it's a rebadge of a current Korean product.

But to answer the question in the subject of this thread, prices probably won't drop soon exactly b/c of what Brian Shannon mentioned: lack of programming means lack of buyers and demand, hence high prices. No HD products have followed the usual curve of electronic products and prices. HDTVs are only now getting somewhat affordable (but still > $1K) and STBs are still a ways away from true affordability.
Old 02-13-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Starting in 2004, FCC starts requiring them in HDTVs. Complex rules for percentage phase-in, in each size range, by year. Bottom line: When some tvs have to have them, competition between tvs will either force prices of STBs down, or make phase-in in the TV much faster than FCC mandate (IMO).
Old 02-14-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by OldDude
Starting in 2004, FCC starts requiring them in HDTVs. Complex rules for percentage phase-in, in each size range, by year. Bottom line: When some tvs have to have them, competition between tvs will either force prices of STBs down, or make phase-in in the TV much faster than FCC mandate (IMO).
OldDude,

Is the mandate that they have HD-capable digital tuners built in, or just digital tuners?
I had thought that it was simply a digital tuning mandate, but if it's truly HD this will be a big help for the HDTV evolution.
Old 02-14-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I read it as HD tuners, but semantics is everything in this business, so it could be a trick. I wish I had copy in front of me.

This article implies you are correct. http://web-star.com/hdtvforum/articl...278F4D3B2.html

However, in searching for some solid info, I saw a lot of announcements of sets (now or near future) with integrated HDTV tuners. Once they are forced to have digital, I think the market place will force the modes to support HD, but apparently SDTV meets the FCC intent.

Edit: Looking at the ads for released products, the "magic words" appear to be "integrated ATSC tuner." If it has those, it can decode HDTV and DTV natively. Anything else, ask a lot of questions.

HDTV-ready, Integrated NTSC tuner, HDTV-compatible, etc are "Satan, get thee behind me" words, you will need STB at another $600-800, probably $666 specials.

I'm waiting at least another year for market to settle out, reviews to be available, etc.

Last edited by OldDude; 02-14-03 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
So long as the programming is limited I think it will still be a while. I am watching the Sony HD 200 but refuse to pay $799 to watch a handful of channels and programs.
I thought that too, but even though I only get CBS and FOX, I'm really glad I pulled the trigger. Keep in mind that, although there isn't a hell of a lot of HD programming, 480p digital is a hell of an improvement over 480i analog. So FOX may not jumped on the HD bandwagon with both feet, but 480p is still pretty sweet looking (especially the shows that are broadcast in widescreen like Bernie Mac).

Now, if one of my choices was ABC, I'd be singing a different tune. I don't watch anything on ABC.

BTW, I went the HD tuner card route (so I could record). So far, I'm $1300 into it, and I even recycled my mobo and processor!