Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Questions on Hitachi 65WX20B

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Questions on Hitachi 65WX20B

Old 02-09-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions on Hitachi 65SWX20B

Ok I finally went out after doing a lot of research and found a Hitachi 65SWX20B for a good price:

Sears Price Match Crazy $2,989.90
+ Crazy Eddie instore pickup $75.00
- Price Match Guarantee of Diff (26.00)
----------------------------------------------------
Total $3,038.90

Sears was offering:
0% int for 12 months
Free Shipping
Free Apex Progressive Scan DVD ($99) which I don't need so if I return to store:

Total $2,939.90 Shipped

So since it was the last day for this deal and the salesman was willing to PM Crazy E. I ordered it knowing that I can cancel before it is shipped (Which is the 6th of March!)

Now I have some questions for those of you who own this Model or others like it:

1) I noticed, as well as read in reviews, that if the TV does not have a HD feed that the video quality is kind of choppy... and if it is a real bad video feed the picture is down right bad.

- For those of you who watch regular 4:3 TV on this does the picture quality annoy you? or do you hardly notice after a while?

2) I currently have DTV and would upgrade to a HD-DTV box but I want to use my current HU card, What models will take it... and is it worth while to upgrade (cost wise $$)?

3) Now here is the question that has kept me away from HDTV for years... Should I wait another year until the price of the TV's come down or until Large LCD's are in the $3,000 range??

4) I found a Panisonic PT65WX51 for $1,900 at my local BJ's (I think the price is wrong??) But the problem with it is that you can only choose between regular 4:3 or 16:9 aspect modes .. there is no "Smoothwide" or Zooms.. etc... just one or the other . The 16 :9 picture looked Streached.

Plus it only takes 1080i or 480p. Since I don't have HDTV yet It would work to watch progressive scan DVD's, but regular TV would not be as nice. Plus after reading some "white papers" I tend to favor 720p.

-What do you think about this model/price?

Thanks guys! I was up all night thinking about this it's a lot of $ to plunk down and I need to talk to some other DVDTalkers

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 02-09-03 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-10-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump Just wanted to see if there was anyone who could help me out - or have any input.

-Thanks
Old 02-14-03, 01:57 AM
TAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Questions on Hitachi 65SWX20B

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.
Ok I finally went out after doing a lot of research and found a Hitachi 65SWX20B for a good price:

1) I noticed, as well as read in reviews, that if the TV does not have a HD feed that the video quality is kind of choppy... and if it is a real bad video feed the picture is down right bad.

- For those of you who watch regular 4:3 TV on this does the picture quality annoy you? or do you hardly notice after a while?

2) I currently have DTV and would upgrade to a HD-DTV box but I want to use my current HU card, What models will take it... and is it worth while to upgrade (cost wise $$)?

3) Now here is the question that has kept me away from HDTV for years... Should I wait another year until the price of the TV's come down or until Large LCD's are in the $3,000 range??

4) I found a Panisonic PT65WX51 for $1,900 at my local BJ's (I think the price is wrong??) But the problem with it is that you can only choose between regular 4:3 or 16:9 aspect modes .. there is no "Smoothwide" or Zooms.. etc... just one or the other . The 16 :9 picture looked Streached.

-What do you think about this model/price?

Thanks guys! I was up all night thinking about this it's a lot of $ to plunk down and I need to talk to some other DVDTalkers
I have this model:HIT 57UWX20B
I have regular cable and still have a very good picture. Naturally it is much better through my dvd player(Sony NS-715P), but still the cable is fine. The stretched look is important to watch for. I have saw older models of the widescreen tvs that do look stretched. When something is on the side it looks too big. Mine is not that way everything looks even. I would highly recomend Hitachi. I have had nothing, but good luck. One more thing is get a good warranty because from what I have been told it's not cheap to have them fixed.

Last edited by TAR; 02-14-03 at 02:00 AM.