Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Who is Waiting To Get Their HD Widescreen TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-22-03, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was all set to buy my widescreen RP HDTV then there are so many negatives at this time that I've decided to wait. For how long I'm not sure because I seem to be waxing and waning over this issue constantly. The temptation to "just get it" is often strong.

Positives:
1. I can finally enjoy my widescreen (esp 2.35:1) in its full glorious anamorphic 480 progressive picture. My picture will finally match the thundering surround soud.

2. The screen will be at least 42" big.

3. I can enjoy it now (earlier) and most of the advances for HDTV technology is already here? (probably)

Negatives:

1. I do watch a lot of cable and local broadcasts. HD is not available in my area yet.
*I'd also have to buy an HD receiver or an integrated set (more expensive)

2. Consequently standard TV will not look so good. I could opt for a 34" widescreen tube but the picture would not be much bigger and in some cases smaller. (I will not buy that 40" 4:3 Sony with the change coming on)

3. I watch a lot of classic films filmed in 4:3 or Academy ratio and my 32" produces a fine picture with a decently large size. Many widescreen movies are also in 1.85:1 ratio which "I can live with", even on my 32"

4. A lot can happen over a (relatively) short time: Integrated HDTV will become more common (cheaper) and other technological advances could come along. They'll have to if they want to push HDTV to the general public by the deadline. Also prices for plasma or LCD tv's could also drop which I would prefer over a bulky RPTV in the long run.

5. More personal. I've owned my Sony for only 2 years and it seems a "waste" to get a replacement so soon.

How many of you are also waiting like me?

Last edited by Ian11; 01-22-03 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Ian11,

I'm waiting myself. Still looking. I've been looking at the Pioneer 630HD, but it might be overkill. I still have to do a lot comparing, and I don't look forward to it. I'm shooting for a widescreen by this summer, but who knows. Some films just have to be seen in widescreen and since I only purchase widescreen versions of films, the "real estate" on my 4:3 JVC 31" is getting annoying. I still prefer the widescreen picture and it doesn't bother me, but at the same time, noticing all that space going to waste is kinda irritating.

I don't watch regular television that much, and when I do, it's usually Sci-Fi or documentaries. There's just nothing on TV these days, which is another reason why my DVD collection has exponentially grown over the past year.

A fear I have, is the maintenance of a HDTV. I've never owned a television so large, and since I don't own a home yet, moving it around could become a real problem. More than likely I would pay movers to do the job. Suffice it to say, any future apartments will be on ground level for sure.
Old 01-22-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting as well. It makes no sense for me to have a HD widescreen TV at this point. I will probably wait until it's actually the standard in a few years.
Old 01-22-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
I am also waiting, but right now the biggest factor is $$. Both the lack of and the expense of the new DLP sets. The wife wants new furniture now so I must spend money on this first. Also DLP just became available and are the most expensive that they will ever be, plus I have to wait to go back to Best Buy part-time to get that huge discount, and since I just left I have wait to get the taste of that hell out of my mouth first.
Old 01-22-03, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

My biggest worry is the damn HD connector.

New sets are all coming out with DVI but I hear that it has limitations and there is talk af a new connector. Untill this mess is finished I dont see cable jumping in.

Still I might get one this year.
Old 01-22-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm waiting, for a combo of reasons.

1. $$ - just can't get wife-approval on a $1500-$3000 purchase, as she is focused on our existing debt
2. I'm concerned that 2 months after I buy there will be a huuuuuuuuuge price drop
3. The availability, or lack thereof, of HD signals.

We watch very little tv, with most of our usage centered on DVDs. I really want a big 16x9 set NOW, but I think if I wait I will be better off. Maybe that 's just poor guy rationalization.

I'm pleased with my HT sound setup, but it's just that I have to watch it on a 27" Toshiba
Old 01-22-03, 11:05 AM

Put me on the list of waiting as well. Planning on making the leap when it becomes the standard.
With small children, we watch a lot more of Blue, Dorah, and company than we do of DVD's, etc. and the last I checked Nick and Disney weren't HD yet
The 50" Toshiba will have to make it 'till 2006.
Old 01-22-03, 12:30 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been waiting and looking and researching for 3 years on a HDTV widescreen set, and finally got mine a couple of weeks ago. Here it is and I must say I am glad I took the plunge and for 24 months no interest also.

Also, I watch my Digital Cable (HDTV will be avail in about 2 months from Comcast here) in the "Full" mode so it fills the screen, and I am so used to the widescreen picture that when I go back to the 4:3 TV in the bedroom, it feels like it is distorted for some reason. The DVD's and PS2 look great on the TV though and I can't wait for the Super Bowl this weekend.
Old 01-22-03, 01:09 PM

I'm just waiting to win the lottery. Until then, no HDTV for me
Old 01-22-03, 01:49 PM

We're also waiting for most of the same reasons others have stated, i.e., we have a 32" Toshiba that looks great and is only a few years old (we now have digital cable and the 4x3 is fantastic.)

We prefere tube instead of rear projection but a 34" widescreen only increases the horizontal width by 5" (about 17%) while reducing the 4x3 to that of a 27" screen. While a 38" WS is the perfect solution (retaining the 4x3 ratio of our 32" model the only one available is by RCA and we have read too many negative reports from owners to consider it.

We might replace our set when other tube models of the 37' - 38" size
Old 01-22-03, 02:03 PM
Banned

I have a question, if you buy a tv that is listed as "HDTV WideScreen" is it already to recieve HDTV singnal and you have to buy nothing else?. And the TVs that state "HDTV-ready WideScreen" does that mean that you have to buy the HDTV reciever for it and then you can get the HDTV signals?

BTW I am waiting also, I have only a 20" and I find myself not watching the majority of my collection because I really want to see it on something better and bigger. I still have alot to learn about WS TVs and HDTV before I make that big of an investment.
Old 01-22-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a widscreen 42" plasma. Technically not HDTV, but I can live with that. Costco.
Old 01-22-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wb3032
I have a question, if you buy a tv that is listed as "HDTV WideScreen" is it already to recieve HDTV singnal and you have to buy nothing else?. And the TVs that state "HDTV-ready WideScreen" does that mean that you have to buy the HDTV reciever for it and then you can get the HDTV signals?
probably not. unless the set actually comes with an integrated HD tuner (several models do) you will need some kind of HD set top box. i would first check with your cable provider to see if they offer one...my time warner does at no additional charge. there are also HD directv boxes and HD tuners for over the air reception.
Old 01-22-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RandyC
I pulled the trigger on a widscreen 42" plasma. Technically not HDTV, but I can live with that. Costco.
are you happy with it?
Old 01-22-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Life is too short to wait...

Picked mine up ~ 9 months ago and it's probably been my favorite investment in... Well... Ever...
Old 01-22-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Life is too short to wait...

Picked mine up ~ 9 months ago and it's probably been my favorite investment in... Well... Ever...
Me too.

I got mine almost a year ago.

I don't watch TV. Just DVDs and Video Games.
Old 01-22-03, 05:44 PM

i should of waited, but i got my 27" Sony WEGA a year ago when i was still in college. Now that i graduated and got a decent job i would like a TV worthy of my theater sound system. but price wise i would like to get a plasma, esp that Panasonic model tho not HDTV just Enhanced480, looks good for DVD around 3500. I'll just wait til at least next year..maybe christmas of this year i'll take the plunge.
Old 01-22-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you're loaded then plasma is a nice desposable toy. after all they are still prone to burn-in, lose brightness in a matter of only a couple years, and can't be repaired. plus if you're gonna spend thousands of dollars i think you should be getting something that can actually resolve HD. check out the DLP and LCD sets. they have a small form factor (not hang on the wall small) and cost in the $3000 to $4000 range...and they can do HD! you also get a set that is 50" to 60"...no way you're gonna find a plasma for anywhere near that price with those features.
Old 01-22-03, 06:34 PM

This is kinda sad, but the ONLY reason why I haven't taken the plunge is because I have no space for it.

I live in a two bedroom apartment. My wife has her nice country-style living room, which doesn't bother me, since I'd rather have it in a small dedicated room than an open space like the living room.

We have our bedroom, and a smaller spare one that contains my computer desk, fax, colossal color laser printer, and my computer along one wall, directly across from a daybed we keep for the occasional guest that stays over. If I were to get either a 43" or 51", it would be a tight fit, not to mention the fact I'd need to somehow cram some comfortable seats so I can enjoy my HD in comfort!

I work for a Fortune 100 company that offers an awards program that allows you to accrue "award points" for fabulous prizes. After hoarding my points and reaching sales objectives throughout the year, I have enough for a Hitachi 43FWX20B. Because I don't think I can enjoy it in my cramped apartment, I'm holding out until either we rearrange the furniture around here, or we move into a bigger place. The nice thing is that I should be able to get a 51" within the next two months, so I guess I'll have to wait until then.

In the meantime, I have an Onkyo TX-SR600 (from that CC Holiday catalog error) boxed up and waiting to be used, and I have more time to get a nice set of Paradigms with an SVS sub.

Feel my pain.
Old 01-22-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm just going to wait for a plasma. I another year or so, a really good one will be $3k or less, and the technology in them will have stabilized. I don't really like projection TVs (viewing angle, maintenance headaches), and would rather not have a television the size of a refrigerator.
Old 01-22-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

jason,

that's why i suggest dlp or lcd. you can get them now for $3k and they are only 18" deep and weigh less than 80 pounds. plasma would be nice...but i still think it's gonna be a while before 50" models capable of HD are less than 3K. and they'll still be disposable.
Old 01-22-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by broadwayblue
are you happy with it?
Too early to tell. I will know more in July when the next gen Panasonic comes out. The good news is the no-questions-asked return policy of Costco that covers me for 2 years. Can't go wrong.

I am still waiting for a table stand I ordered online, so the unit is not really installed. It's sitting on my fireplace hearth on the bricks (using the styrofoam packing material). I hooked up my DVD player using progressive scan and component outputs (Panasonic RP56) and the picture was stunning. From closer than 4 feet, you can see a little screen door effect, which was more pronounced when viewing non-anamorphic output using composite video.

Black levels and contrast look pretty good. Color is perky. I have not done any calibration or setup.

I made the decision that I could not live with a screen. I wanted more angle and light than most rear projection units have. There was not a good choice in tube sets that fit the space I had. The 42" is about the perfect screen size for my room and seating arrangement.

So the only other choices were the other units at Costco (there is an Akai on the website for $3499 that includes a tuner/speakers) such as the Daewoo. The Gateway. Or the Panasonic.

The Gateway seems better than most people give it credit for. The downsides are that you can't really see it properly in the store. They run a canned demo off a DVD. You can't check for standard video ability. The cost is $3k plus shipping. If there is any reason you don't like it, you have to pay return shipping costs. Extended warranty is expensive. They are backordered for months.

The Panasonic is available and the best picture quality in a sub-$4k plasma screen. Still, it would cost me almost $4k for that extra little bit of picture quality. And I would not have Costco's great return policy.

The only real other option for me was to wait for the next gen Panasonic which is coming out in July. It has everything I wanted. It includes DVI/HDCP (the present panny does not), it has built in tuners and speakers. It lists for $5k retail. The downsides are I have to wait to July and I have no idea what I can really get it for. If it is discounted online to $4500, that is still a lot more than the $3k I paid for the Akai.

One idea for me, was to get the Akai for $3k now. Enjoy it. Any problems or misgivings, return it. No big risk. And a few years down the road, upgrade to something else. The Akai will look good in the bedroom.
Old 01-22-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obviously that does not capture the picture quality well, since I shrunk down the pic and reduced the resolution.
Old 01-22-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

looks pretty nice from what i can see. gotta love that 2 year costco return policy. you'd think they would get taken to the cleaners on that one. you could just keep swapping out your set every year or two for a better one at no additional cost!
Old 01-22-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by broadwayblue
looks pretty nice from what i can see. gotta love that 2 year costco return policy. you'd think they would get taken to the cleaners on that one. you could just keep swapping out your set every year or two for a better one at no additional cost!
They finally changed the policy for computers. I heard someone say that a company was buying a lot of computers and every two years, taking them back for new (better) ones.

I would not. But one could take the plasma back in 2 years and get full price back and then buy the same newer plasma with better features for probably a lot less (since prices will continue to come down).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.