DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Who is Waiting To Get Their HD Widescreen TV? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/265547-who-waiting-get-their-hd-widescreen-tv.html)

Ian11 01-25-03 02:02 AM

When technology improves exponentially as it is today its a boon for the corporations so they can shill the latest wares while all of us pay through the nose and have to keep upgrading or trading in. (This is why I stopped playing PC games completely) For once I'd like to see technology slow down.

And when you bring up HD movies on- demand you're opening up a whole 'nuther can of worms. People like owning their own movies. Its fun collecting movies as a hobby, pride of ownership, you can pop in your favorite scenes at anytime, and you don't have to pay a bleepin' fee everytime you want to see it.

Timing is important:
As for today's DVD's I think it will be THE STANDARD a lot longer than we think, even well after HD-DVD hits the market. Just like SACD for audio, HD-DVD will be a niche market. Most consumers will resist a new format being introduced so soon after DVD's have arrived. A lot of people have invested a lot of money into their DVD collection and HD-DVD will find a harder time getting a sizeable number of first time buyers for studios to justify releasing a large number of titles. VHS have been around "long enough" so people were ready for a new type of movie player and the improvements were REALLY noticeable. Yes, people will get used to seeing broadcasts in 780p or 1080i but the truth of the matter is, most (the vast majority) of people out there will not care that DVD (in 480p) is slightly worse than regular HD broadcasts. Just having better resolution simply won't be a strong enough selling point for most IMO. For ex. I hate watching movies without DD 5.1/DTS but most people just don't care about movies enough (like most of us here at DVDTalk) to care. For the vast majority of consumers movies are just a diversion after a hard day at work. Today's anamorphic DVDs will be "good enough" for most people well into the HDTV era.

I'm not saying HD-DVD is doomed for obscurity. Not at all. If it is really THAT much better I'll bitterly replace what I can from my collection. It may find a sizeable "niche". What I'm saying is that HD-DVD will face tougher hurdles that DVD did not have to face.

dgc 01-25-03 02:10 AM

That's all fine if you like to rent, but like I said, many of us here collect dvds as a hobby. Personally, I prefer to pay $10 for a dvd than $3 for a rental or pay per view.

Don't get me wrong, I love my HDTV, directv HD200 STB and OTA antenna but collecting dvds is a passion of mine. I also enjoy lending my dvds to friends, family and neighbors.

As the HD-DVD titles get announced, I'll sell off my standard dvds just as I do now when I find out there is going to be a Special Edition dvd release (i.e.: Fargo, the Tom Clancy's, etc.).

To each his own...

5th_Wheel 01-25-03 05:09 AM

Originally posted by dgc
I also enjoy lending my dvds to friends, family and neighbors.

-eek- I've learned my lesson on that one. I don't let anyone touch my DVD's.

boston george 01-25-03 05:57 AM

Why do people act as if the moment HD-DVD is released all current DVDs will disentigrate into dust?

broadwayblue 01-25-03 12:04 PM

Originally posted by boston george
Why do people act as if the moment HD-DVD is released all current DVDs will disentigrate into dust?
i don't think anyone here feels that way. i already admitted that it will take years from the time they are introduced before the HD DVD library compares in size to the current available DVD catalog. but as i have also stated, my feeling is that WHEN HD DVD does become the standard it will have a longer lifespan than the current version because it will be more compatible with the future television standard. but obviously i could be wrong...it's hard to predict the future.

jtm1631 01-25-03 02:39 PM

I took the plunge into HD a year ago and like others, think it is the best purchase yet. I am able to receive all three major networks in HD and FOX EDTV. If I wanted I could also receive the DirecTV offerings of HD channels.

If you enjoy watching sports at all, now is the time to get HD. On Jan. 26th ABC will carry the Super Bowl in HD. ABC has already announced the NBA playoffs in HD and the Stanley Cup Finals in HD. ESPN will launch an HD channel in March that will carry baseball, hockey, basketball and football in HD.

CBS offers 90% of its prime time schedule in HD as well as college football and basketball. If the funds are available to purchase an HD set don't wait. Part of the fun of the hobby is being in on the ground floor.

As was pointed out earlier, high end HT gear is like a computer. You should know when you buy it that you will see it better and cheaper within 12 months of your purchase. The trade off of waiting is all the great HD material you will be missing.

JT

Movie_Man 01-27-03 10:54 AM

I'll just mention that the Superbowl looked fantastic in HD. Looking forward to the Acadamy Awards.

For those that are interested, I now believe that ABC's 720p is way better for sports than NBC's 1080i. The Olympics were filled with pixelization near the fast moving objects.

Sockmonkey 01-27-03 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
I'll just mention that the Superbowl looked fantastic in HD. Looking forward to the Acadamy Awards.

For those that are interested, I now believe that ABC's 720p is way better for sports than NBC's 1080i. The Olympics were filled with pixelization near the fast moving objects.

Movie_Man,

Do you have a set that displays 720p natively, or were you watching it upconverted 720p->1080i?

I've heard several people say that the clarity of native 720p is better than native 1080i... but I assumed that pixelation around fast moving objects was more a factor of the compression rather than the resolution.

Movie_Man 01-27-03 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Sockmonkey
Movie_Man,

Do you have a set that displays 720p natively, or were you watching it upconverted 720p->1080i?

Converted from 1080i. My set does not display 720p
I have a Samsung SIR-T150 that I have set at 1080i feeding my Mitsubishi 55807.

davidvp 01-28-03 07:17 PM

Can I impose for another Q?? ..... I'm getting my first TV that actually has component input capability, and I'm wondering how much of a picture-quality leap I'm going to be making when I get my new set soon.

I'm currently using the worst of the 3 variants (composite video input) going to my current TV.

So, I'll be jumping completely over the "middle man" (S-Video) as far as quality is concerned, and going to what I've heard is the BEST possible video connection: Component.

Do I have this staircase of quality correct? Composite provides the weakest picture quality; then S-Video; then component for the ultimate?

Is my leap from composite straight to component going to be dramatic? (Esp. when combined with my first TV capable of doing the 16:9 squeeze for DVDs?)

Also .... What brand of component video cables is the best? Or are they all pretty much alike?

Thanks. :)

dgc 01-28-03 07:23 PM

A while back I've read this over at hometheaterforum.com:

S-Video is 65% better than Composite Video.

Component video is 5% better than S-Video.

It sounds about right.

broadwayblue 01-28-03 07:30 PM

if you want the best possible image go with a dvi connection.

Teremei 01-29-03 11:38 PM

I gotta agree with Johnny. Life is too short. My family is finally going to get a 47 HDTV panasonic. Can't wait to watch the DVDS!! Plus concerning damage and lower costs over time. We are buying the service plan and also will extend it when it runs out. The policy AL

Teremei 01-29-03 11:40 PM

ALSO years down the road if they no longer have the same model and it is unfixable they will give you a check for the amount of the DVD to purchase the money equivilant of your current TV. Meaning you upgrade.

Teremei 01-29-03 11:41 PM

sorry for my multiple posts and many errors. I'm tired and excited. And too tired to delete post and write again. Sorry mods.

chanster 01-31-03 01:22 PM

Well I heartily disagree about DVD collections becoming obsolete in a few years. It seems that when technology advances, there is always a big step, a little step that only serves a niche market, and then another big step.

With home video, obviously VHS was a big step. That was followed by LaserDisc, which despite their popularity among home theater fans never was accepted into the mainstream. Then there was DVD, which was accepted. I think that HD DVD will be another niche step at best, followed by another true revolution. I think we are 6-8 years away from a truly great step.

As for TV's my 36 inch Toshiba is going along fine. Its probably got another 3-4 years before it is retired.

Cheddarmuff 01-31-03 01:52 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on keeping my DVD collection around for many years to come... :)

Teremei 01-31-03 02:15 PM

Wait wait. just incase you guys aren't kidding. I think we were talking about "are you going to wait to buy a HDTV widescreen" for the price to come down as technology advances. Not DVD collections. :)

darkside 02-01-03 12:05 AM

I don't want rear projection so I'm waiting. Hopefully there will be some better options coming in the future. If I can get a decent price on a 38" or bigger widescreen TV thats not rear projection I will take the plunge. I don't want to have to worry about viewing angles and burn in.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Sony HD 4:3 TV that can do anamorphic squeeze. At least I can get good resolution on DVDs without losing viewing area on regular TV. Black bars don't really bother me.

broadwayblue 02-01-03 11:47 PM

i was actually thinking about going with a rear projection...but they are still too small. now i'm seriously looking at front projectors. a 38" widescreen would be great for a bedroom...but it will hardly give you a cinematic experience.

uli2000 02-02-03 04:07 AM

a bit of clarifacation, Ld was before VHS, Beta, or CED, it just really didnt take off.

I too am holding off. Money, options, pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. Space isnt really a issue, though. Im building a dedicated theater room in a spare master bedroom (i got 2). Im definatly going front projection. I had a CRT projector for a while, put it was a older model only capable of doing 480i. I have almost gone with lcd or dlp projectors a couple of times, but, since this would be pretty much the major tv, I dont want to have to replace bulbs every year at 300-400 a pop. If a fp comes out with at least a 6000 hr bulb life, I may do it. Otherwise, its save for a big pioneer or mits ws hdtv.

aa-dvd 02-02-03 02:17 PM

I was going to hold off, but lastnight I looked at the Mits Diamond 711 sereies. WOW!!! It looked great with regular broadcast, HD broadcast, and especially dvd. There were several features that really had me amazed.

On a regular broadcast it only stretches the very outside of the picture. THis looked great compared to the other sets that stretched the whole picture. The salesman also showed me what it looked when you stretch a letterbox dvd, most of mine are anamorphic anyways, but it looked terrific again.

Many of you are talking about what if is becomes obsolete or is not compatible. You should reallly check out Mits upgradable promise. They have a statement that if your set is not compatible with any future HD broadcast they will supply the required gear to make it work. Cool. This set had both DVI and firewire connections.

Now, am I waiting? Yes, The 65" set that I fell in love with was over $5,000!!! I don't know about all of you, but that is a series bit of change for me, especially with a new truck payment.

chipmac 02-03-03 12:55 AM

Mits does not have any sets with DVI connections. They're firmly against this technology and only include firewire on their sets. The upgrade promise is also only for sets that don't have a built in HD tuner and it's speculation if they'll include DVI in the future if DVI wins the popularity contest. The promise module that is currently shipping only has firewire and a HD tuner to make it just like their sets that are sold that way.

Kman1011 02-03-03 12:40 PM

Originally posted by broadwayblue
if you want the best possible image go with a dvi connection.
I am curious to as where you get this information from?

broadwayblue 02-03-03 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Kman1011
I am curious to as where you get this information from?
when a display adapter uses DVI, the image to be displayed does not go through digital-analog conversion, preserving the original integrity of the digital signal until it reaches the display. additionally, the digital transfer rate of 1.6 Gb/sec. allows large quantities of display data to be moved to the display more rapidly.

furthermore, DVI may someday become necessary to even be able to view high definition programming. once broadcast flags are inserted into programming (which will determine whether the program being transmitted can be recorded unlimited times, once, or never) it is possible that the high resolution image will be downressed to a standard definition signal (probably 480p) when a connection other than a DVI with HDCP or HDMI copy protection is used. so for example, if they flip the switch and start protecting the content and you are watching a program in HD using component video cables to connect your cable box to your television you will only get 480p even though the program is available in HD.