Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help finding a DVD player that will accept my Twilight Zone: Gold Edition DVD-Rs

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help finding a DVD player that will accept my Twilight Zone: Gold Edition DVD-Rs

Old 01-20-03, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I've invested $400 in the Twilight Zone Gold Edition from AnotherUniverse. This company took the masters for the Pioneer DVD releases and reorganized them into a season by season set and placed them on a DVD-R disc.

I played it at home over the holidays and it worked great on that DVD player (an expensive one). Now that I'm home, I tried playing them on my Sony DVP-S3000. It is a first-generation player. It doesn't advertise that it can play DVD-R. I've even had trouble getting it to play some VCD discs (and it advertises that it can).

The problem my Sony has in playing the discs is odd. It will read the picture just fine. On the Title Menu, everything appears fine, showing both the picture and audio. However, when I start the episode, the picture is fine, but there is no audio.

Anyhow, I guess I'll need a new DVD player. I'm looking around for a relatively cheap (under $120) DVD player that will for sure play these DVD-Rs for me.

I own a Toshiba 50h81 HD Rear Projection TV, so component output is a must. Not sure if I need a DVD player w/ 3:2 pulldown, since my TV claims to do it, though I really don't notice any difference at all.

I must have one that will play DVD-Rs with some degree of reliability.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

- Mike
Old 01-20-03, 11:42 AM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
AnotherUniverse says this on their site about the DVDs:

Despite what was previously stated, these disks are not DVD-R, they standard pressed DVDs. The compatibility issues addressed earlier no longer apply.

Are yours pressed or DVD-R? If they're DVD-R you might try exchanging them.
Old 01-20-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony players made since 2000 should play DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+RW perfectly. I have two different models (one purchased in 2000 and the other in 2002) and they both play all of these just fine.

Why not take one of the discs with you into the store and try it out in various players on display? Sales people will usually let you do this...

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 01-20-03 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 11:01 PM

Thanks to both posts.

X - I guess I just heard a rumor that these discs were DVD-R, not sure. It does not say "DVD-R" on the discs, but I wasn't sure if that meant anything.

Steve - Good idea, I might try them on a few models at my local Best Buy or Frys. My Sony was purchased in Dec. of '97, so it's pretty old.

- Mike
Old 01-21-03, 02:29 AM

I had the same model Sony, and it served me well for years. Still works. But it's inability to play DVD-Rs -- it simply spit them out altogether -- plus the need to go region-free (and that's a completely unhackable player) finally drove me to get a new machine.