Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

AVIA or Sound & Vision for my situation?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father is buying the Toshiba 42H82 42" HDTV next week at Best Buy.

Just so everyone knows we decided on this TV mainly because it's the largest tv he can get for the space it'll be in. We were also looking at the Samsung HCM-4215W for the same price but evidently it doesn't do panny as well as the Toshiba and you have to purchase a seperate stand to go along with it for another $169.

One of the biggest questions I've noticed so far is about calibraition and a lot of people reference to the AVIA disks. Currently I don't see the need for professional calibration because he doesn't watch DVDs. He has a player but only my mom "occasionaly" watches one (1 time a month if she's lucky). They do have digital cable and have no plans on getting a HD tuner. So what about the AVIA disk. I see how it can benefit the setup of the TV but is it worth the purchase just to be used on digital cable (not Sat.)? He has no home theater and also has no plans of getting one. He just isn't the HT kind. He just wants a bigger TV.

I see the Sound & Vision disk is a bit cheaper and we only need the disk for the calibration of the TV.

Since I'm new to this stuff, other than the FAQs are there any threads of particular interest I should read that would be good info to know.

Last edited by kantonburg; 01-22-03 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-19-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what you describe he bought the wrong kind of TV. If he's not using it to watch HDTV or DVD them why get a widescreen digital set? Digital cable might be an improvement from analog cable as far as PQ is concerned but that's not what this type of TV is made for. I say skip Avia and adjust it to how he feels it looks good but you'd be better off buying a large screen analog set and returning this one. You'll save a good chunk of change and it won't matter for his needs.
Old 01-19-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh and what is this Panny mode you keep refering to in this and your other thread? Do you mean the zoom or stretch modes that these sets have?
Old 01-19-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well he hasn't bought it yet. I guess you have to know my father. He's wanted a big screen for years and was originally getting the 55" Magnavox they have for $999 in the ad. I quickly convinced him otherwise. We live in an area that is only fed by PBS for HDTV but it's coming along. This way he'll be prepared. Cable companies are starting to rent HD Tuner boxes for digital customers so it's not far off.

Panny mode is one of the viewing modes like 4:3, widescreen, panoramic mode (panny mode).

As far as him not watching DVDs. No biggie there but he watches A LOT of Tv. I think it's his hobbie I guess he "likes" to be persuaded. When I got him his DVD player he was like what do I need this for I have a VCR. I hooked it up and pointed out the differences and he quickly realized how much nicer DVD is. He really commented on the sound....AND HE WEARS A HEARING AID!!!

Anyway "I" know this is the right path for him to take. He just wants a big tv and he'll thank me for it later

Last edited by kantonburg; 01-19-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-20-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The Sound & Vision disc will suit your purposes. Avia is more comprehensive, but I don't think the extra calibrations (convergence, picture geometry, etc.) are necessary for your father's needs. The Sound & Vision is a very user-friendly "starter" disc for someone who has never attempted to calibrate a TV before. I think it will do nicely.

Incidentally, the 42H82 is a 42" widescreen set, not 47". Hence the 42 in its model number.

"Panny" is usually the accepted abbreviation for Panasonic, not panoramic. To say it has a "panny" mode is a little confusing.
Old 01-21-03, 08:49 AM

I think it's an excellent purchase, IMHO.

Not only is he future-proofing himself with a 16x9 TV, but he also went ahead and picked up a Toshiba, which is known for its great looking stretch modes.

Tell your dad he's making the right choice!
Old 01-22-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the S&V for 15 bucks, works great and helped me a lot on my 36 inch Tube HDTV. I'm waiting for the NEW Avia or Video Essentials to come out this year.
Old 01-22-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys.