Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is Pioneer Elite Worth It?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-19-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm saving, and looking into getting a Pioneer Elite setup. Is it really superior to...say...a $3000 TV? I mean, the 52inch runs around $5000. That's a considerable amount more to pay. But if it look better, I think I'm going to go with it. Same thing goes for receivers and a DVD player.

I'd rather get your guys' opinions, not some clerk working on commision at Ultimate Electronics.

Any owners out there? Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-19-03, 05:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
It sure was worth it to me.

I have two models back, the 510, and have been extremely happy with it. I would only replace it with a projector (or a larger Elite).

Whether you'll get the full benefit of the set depends on what you watch. OTA/cable/satellite TV is very good for a set this size. And the stretch modes are really good. I don't watch much TV, but when I do I'm always impressed by it. The picture from a VCR is also good. But DVD, whether from a progressive or non-progressive source is where you see just how good the set is. The line doubler is very, very good. I haven't seen HDTV on it yet.

For only DVD, or maybe HDTV, you can do fine with an upper model Mits too. But you'll need to get it ISF'ed and you'll have to use a progressive player to get the best out of it.

The Elites are very good out of the box. That's one of the biggest advantages of the Elite over other sets. I haven't had it ISF'ed yet even though I've had the set for over 2 years. I do notice a few little things I would like adjusted so I'm considering it, but I might just get into the service menu myself to see if I can handle it.

I believe the newest models, the x30s, are even less expensive than older models were. And the current line of non-Elites use the same line doubler that my Elite has. So you might want to consider them.
Old 01-19-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno...I could go either way on this.

I toyed with the idea of getting an Elite, but in that price range, I started thinking plasma, which took it to another level...and I ended up with a Sony 57" Widescreen...and saved the money. I'm happy with the sony, but as X said, you may well like a Mits as well.

Really, I don't think there's that much of difference between a good and great RPTV. As X pointed out, it depends on what you watch. If it's mostly TV, any signal is going to look sketchy on any widescreen rptv, unless you have a dish, and even then it's still not at the quality of a decent progressive scan dvd player.

I have a Panasonic CP72 and coupled with the sony...WOW. Would it look better on a Pioneer Elite? Possibly, but not $3k worth, ya know?

Another thing to think about...would you want to spend Elite cash on a Rear-Projector when the Plasma's are so close to being damn good AND affordable? That's what helped me make my decision - I figured $2k now, and save for the Plasma for about 4 years, and bingo- they'll be in my price range.
Old 01-19-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AS some clerk working at Ultimate Electronics I would say yes dbut again I am just some clerk not some one as wordly educated as you about electronics. What do you do?
Old 01-19-03, 09:52 PM
X
Administrator

I would never compare the picture of a plasma to an Elite. Or probably just about any CRT-based RPTV.

In my opinion the difference between them is night and day for DVD material and even if the plasma were cheaper I would not use it for watching movies. The plasma does not look like a movie screen at all to me.
Old 01-19-03, 09:53 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Kman1011
AS some clerk working at Ultimate Electronics I would say yes dbut again I am just some clerk not some one as wordly educated as you about electronics. What do you do?
I think he's trying not to be "sold" anything.
Old 01-19-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

compare the specs of a normal pioneer tv to an elite one and youll see not much varies, except the logos and the cabinetry. Get a Hitatchi tv for the money.
Old 01-19-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think X summed it up best when he asked what you'll be watching mostly. If it's cable or sat the line doubler on the Elites is great and makes it worth the money. If you'll be watching mostly DVD and HDTV from either OTA, cable or Sat then buy a Tosh or Mits and with the money you saved buy a progressive scan DVD player and have the Tosh or Mits TV ISF calibrated. After a proper calibration they all look so good I don't think many can tell the difference but the line doubler on the elites does make a noticable improvement on SD signals over the other brands.
Old 01-19-03, 11:46 PM
X
Administrator

The other thing I would mention is...

I'm watching a movie right now and sitting 7.5 feet from the screen. The .52mm dot pitch of the Elite lets the picture be completely smooth at that little distance. You have to get really close to notice any pixels due to the screen and I think that helps overall smoothness. 7.5 Feet away from a 53" screen gives you that "movie" experience. And that's one of the problems I have with plasma sets.

The non-Elites don't have that fine a dot pitch and I think I've just recently heard about one other manufacturer coming out with a set having a screen that fine. Sorry, but I don't remember who it is.
Old 01-20-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I do think the build quality of the Elites are better than the regular Pioneer line.

If you have to money and like the set then consider it
Old 01-20-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lordzeppelin

Really, I don't think there's that much of difference between a good and great RPTV. As X pointed out, it depends on what you watch. If it's mostly TV, any signal is going to look sketchy on any widescreen rptv, unless you have a dish, and even then it's still not at the quality of a decent progressive scan dvd player.

that was my experience.
usually when i go to pick up a dvd, i'll check out the tvs and it seems like there are a lot of good choices out there right now.
i used to own a sony that i really liked but i sold it for a front projector and do not look back.

the only reason i give tvs a cursory glance now, is to secretly gloat .

honestly, if you have he right room conditions for it, i would suggest front projection.
that goes for just about anybody looking to spend several thousand $ on a display.
for that $5000 elite budget you could get a great full fp set-up.
hell, my whole set-up was less than $3K...and i enjoy it much more than the 53" Sony i had.

depending on screen and source(s) the picture can look exceptional (or at least as good as a decent theater) but probably won't be as fine as a tube or good rp.
but then again, we don't measure our screens in inches, we measure them in feet.
Old 01-20-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
If you have a progressive scan DVD player, you don't want a Pioneer set. The Pioneers, even the Elites, lock into 16:9 stretch mode on all progressive scan sources, regardless of whether they are anamorphic or not.

If you have a Pioneer TV and want to watch a non-anamorphic disc like, say, Titanic, you'll wind up with a picture stretched to a 4:1 aspect ratio.

That's a pretty significant design flaw. I don't understand how Pioneer can justify their prices without addressing this problem.
Old 01-20-03, 12:43 PM
X
Administrator

The Pioneers stopped locking into full with the x10 line.

Since I do have the 2-generation back model, the 510, I'm glad I use an HTPC on it. That way I never have the problem.
Old 01-20-03, 02:57 PM

I don't think the Elites are worth it. They used to be but apparently Pioneer included lots of Elite technology in last year's standard line, such as the line doubler. The Elites do have a finer dot pitch and undoubtedly have other stuff but I personally didn't think the picture improvement was worth $2000. I saw them both on SD sat. (much better picture than any other set, IMO) and OTA HD before making my decision to buy the SD-533 for
Old 01-21-03, 05:25 PM

i also would say YES.

(i am too an employee for ultimate electronics.)

Old 01-21-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cowanrg what store, what do you do ?

BTW don't forget the elite has 2 year warranty versus standard 1 year as most.
Old 01-22-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by X
The Pioneers stopped locking into full with the x10 line.
Really? That's good news. It's certainly about time!
Old 01-22-03, 01:13 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Josh Z
Really? That's good news. It's certainly about time!
Yeah, that was a pretty stupid "feature". Luckily it never affected me since I never had a progressive standalone player and only use an HTPC now.

And to be more correct, I should have said "The Pioneers stopped locking into full after the x10 line." My 510 has the lock and getting rid of it was one of the big improvements of the x20 model.

Of course the x20s messed up the s-video in, but that's another story.
Old 01-23-03, 09:42 PM

i work at the boulder store (#6) one of the first ones! im a salesperson. yeah, gotta love the extended warranty, hardly ANYTHING has that (rear projection anyway...)

cowanrg what store, what do you do ?

BTW don't forget the elite has 2 year warranty versus standard 1 year as most.
Old 01-24-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good friend of mine just took over the Park Meadows store not long ago while I took over his old store.
Old 01-27-03, 11:45 AM

Personally I went with the Pioneer 64" HDTV non-Elite. Absolutely no regrets. Stretch is greatest available. Best buy for the dollar!! My research indicated guts of this set (non-Elite) was virtually the same as the previous years Elite. And besides, the high gloss cabinet on the Elite didn't match my sub, component cabinet and speakers.
Old 01-27-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The difference is (if I read your post correctly, you have the SD-643HD5?):

*5-step vs. 3-step selectable color temp

*3 S-Video In vs. 2 S-Video In

*.52mm Pitch vs. .72mm Pitch

*1080i vs. No 1080i

*2 DVI inputs vs. None

* Achromatic Lens (Blue CRT) vs. None (At least I didn't see it listed in the specs)

Not too much of a big difference, but I do want the 1080i capability when I get a separate HD tuner. When you add all the other stuff, I kinda want the Elite version. The .52mm pitch and the 1080i and DVI inputs are the biggest thing to me.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-27-03 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-28-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
The difference is (if I read your post correctly, you have the SD-643HD5?):

*5-step vs. 3-step selectable color temp

*3 S-Video In vs. 2 S-Video In

*.52mm Pitch vs. .72mm Pitch

*1080i vs. No 1080i

*2 DVI inputs vs. None

* Achromatic Lens (Blue CRT) vs. None (At least I didn't see it listed in the specs)

Not too much of a big difference, but I do want the 1080i capability when I get a separate HD tuner. When you add all the other stuff, I kinda want the Elite version. The .52mm pitch and the 1080i and DVI inputs are the biggest thing to me.
The Pioener SD-643HD5 most certainly does do 1080i! Don;t know where you are getting your info from but you should know that ALL Pioneer HDTV's do 1080i.
Old 01-28-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I should have said that the PRO series converts a 480i
signal to 1080i, while the non-PRO series does not. They only do 480i to 480p.

So, addendum:

*480i to 1080i conversion vs. no 480i to 1080i conversion

Yes, ALL Pioneer HDTVs do 1080i. I think I made a confusing typo.
Old 01-28-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I should have said that the PRO series converts a 480i
signal to 1080i, while the non-PRO series does not. They only do 480i to 480p.

So, addendum:

*480i to 1080i conversion vs. no 480i to 1080i conversion

Yes, ALL Pioneer HDTVs do 1080i. I think I made a confusing typo.
I don't know that doing a 480i to 1080i is a real advantage unless you are using VERY good source to upconvert. As far as Satellite, Cable or OTA I have yet to see a 1080i upconvert from 480i that looks as good as a well done 480i to 480p unless you have a really good HTPC or very expensive scaler ($3000 and up).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.