Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wireless Headphone Reccomendations, Please

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get some headphones, and I'm thinking I might as well get a set of wireless ones. I see a large discrepancy in price $50-190 and I know absolutely nothing about how these will sound, so I'm looking for experienced advice only, please. Let me know your experiences with them and what you'd suggest.

My needs are simple, I'm working graveyards now, and so 1 night a week I have to stay up all night at home and want to watch TV, play games, watch DVD's etc. without waking up my wife. Obviously I want decent, reliable sound; but I don't need to have pristine, so good it makes you wet your pants sound.

I'll be sitting relatively close to the reciever, so I might just go with a pair of standard headphones too. Any suggestions on those are welcome.
Old 01-13-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wireless Headphone Reccomendations, Please

Originally posted by renaldow
I need to get some headphones, and I'm thinking I might as well get a set of wireless ones.
Wireless headphones are much more complex than wired headphones. You have to deal with battery power, transmission range, an amp in the headset, etc. Bottom line is that the sound quality suffers greatly. Some $20-30 headphones will outperform any sub-$100 wireless set. I would avoid wireless, unless you really have to have it.

Some of my favorite values in conventional headphones:
Grado SR-60 $69
Sennheiser HD497 $69
Koss KSC-55 $19
Grado SR-225 $195

If you still want to go wireless, I've head good things about the digital transmission systems in the Amphony 1000 and the Sennheiser RS65. They cost about $129 and $199 respectively.
Old 01-14-03, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a good pair of headphones for a portable toshiba dvd player that I received for Christmas. Would the HD 497s be good enough for dvd play? Thanks.
Old 01-14-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice Skar, the more I've thought about the more wireless does seem to be in the 'nice to have' category, and is totally unneeded for my situation. I've got a 14yo pair of Koss' bundled up somewhere from when I used to work in broadcasting, I'll try to dig those out and see if they still work. I think I might even have a pair of Sennheisers I stole from my last job*, I'll check storage and see if I still have those.

*I'm not a thief! My last job was at a .com digital music company that shut its' doors for good a couple of years ago. That last day at work was a madhouse for 'bargain shopping' for everyone, seeing as the management didn't have enough dough to cover the last 2 weeks of payroll and we were all out a couple thousand dollars in back pay! Unless you were trying to stick a server under your jacket there were blind eyes everywhere