Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Moving horizontal bands on screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this problem with horizontal bands (2 of them) slowly moving up my screen. I initially noticed it on my projector, but I have since also noticed it on my other 2 regular TV's in other parts of my house. Could this be some sort of problem with the power in my house? And is there anything I can do about it? A while back I saw a thread about power conditioners, but I can't find it now.
Any other ideas???
Thanks
Dave
Old 12-23-06, 10:23 PM

did you ever get any help with this problem? i am having the same problem with my phillips ambialight plasma. i am pretty sure it has something to do with the dimmer switches that control the recessed lighting in my home. do you know of a remedy to this problem? your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, mike. [email protected]
Old 12-23-06, 10:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Noisy dimmer switches can certainly be at fault. I have some that cause a buzz on my AM radio. It can also be a grounding/ground loop problem.

If the problem goes away when the dimmers aren't being used it probably means you need to get higher quality dimmer switches that don't cause as much interference. You should also make sure your display is properly grounded, meaning that it's plugged into an outlet that has a real ground.
Old 12-23-06, 10:45 PM

my display is hanging on the wall of my newly finished basement. i have expensive "lutron" brand dimmer switches on nearly all my lights throughout my house. most of the electric lines coming from the rooms above are passing by my plasma tv on the way to the circuit box down here in the basement. i have the plasma plugged into a power strip. is there a certain power strip that you suggest i use. please help. mike
Old 12-24-06, 12:57 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I have "lutron" brand dimmers as well. They're not expensive and they cause the buzz on my battery-powered AM radio when they're not off or on all the way.