Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

the noob needs some advice...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to get a HT setup for two years now and am finally ready to begin shopping for receivers. I am hoping you all can offer some good advice

I'm planning a trip to the US next month and hope to pick up a receiver while I'm there. Since I live in Israel where the voltage is 220, I hope to find one with a 110/220 switch on the back. If not, its no major deal as I can just get a heavy duty voltage converter (have them here at ACE) and plug in a US power strip to it to power my xbox, PS2 and receiver. Though first choice is a receiver that will plug right in to 220

I'd like to spend $500 or less on the receiver. So far, the one I have picked out is the denon 2802 Anyone know if that has the 110/220 switch on it? any other suggestions for a better or just as good receiver for the money? TIA
Old 01-10-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mine did not. I really like the denon 2802 although I am biased since I do own it

I looked in the manual and so far have not seen anything to suggest that you can switch the volatage any other way. I do not see a switch on back.
Old 01-10-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what will you be using the receiver for primarily? (music, movies, etc.)
Old 01-10-03, 12:29 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
You can buy the recievers with 110/220 switches in many stores in the larger cities, they cater specifically to people from overseas, there are lots in new york and quite a few in san francisco.
Old 01-10-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

broadway - movies and games (xbox, PS2 and GCN)

Badly - I'll be in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Both very Midwest cities with probably ZERO overseas clientel Wonder if I could order it from one of those NYC or SF stores' websites..... any idea? if not, I know I can get a heavy duty power converter from 220 to 110 but not sure about the hz. I think they only have 60Hz over here. Need to check if the 2802 has 50-60Hz on the back.
Old 01-10-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shuki
broadway - movies and games (xbox, PS2 and GCN)

Badly - I'll be in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Both very Midwest cities with probably ZERO overseas clientel Wonder if I could order it from one of those NYC or SF stores' websites..... any idea? if not, I know I can get a heavy duty power converter from 220 to 110 but not sure about the hz. I think they only have 60Hz over here. Need to check if the 2802 has 50-60Hz on the back.
nope no way to change Hz either that I can see. sorry.
Old 01-11-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well I could just buy one here for $1250.00 NOT! I promise I'll make something work