Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

SVS Subs...any expirence?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-07-03, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to drop $900 on a sub, and I want to see if anyone has any personal expirences with SVS?

I'll be getting a PC-Plus 20-39 (powered)
http://svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus.htm

Anyone used/heard one? Or any of the other SVS models. The reviews I've seen have all been pretty good.

Murdock
Old 01-07-03, 09:46 AM

I bought a CS-Plus and power it with a 250 watt amp and am very satisfied with the performance. It can play very low, clean, and at loud volumes. Even though my sub is limited by the amp, it can easily exceed reference levels in my room (110+ db output at listening position). If I had to buy a sub again I would probably get the powered version, though the passive sub and 250 watt amp did cost several hundred less.

The only negative about the sub is the size and that you will hear a lot of rattling from other items in the room.

SVS is also coming out with a line of box subs soon, so if you can wait you don't have to "settle" for a large tube subwoofer.
Old 01-07-03, 09:50 AM

I actually like the large tube design. Fits in better with my stuff. And no Wife/GF to worry about. Just my roommate who likes it.

Murdock
Old 01-07-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a used 20-39 CS and powered it with a 250W Parts Express plate amp (also upgraded to the new driver when SVS offered them). I've been absolutely thrilled. My HT is fairly small (12 x 14) but I don't even come close to taxing the SVS. good, clean bass.

I have a friend with a 15" Velodyne that recently "blew up". After hearing mine, he's looking at replacing it with an SVS.
Old 01-07-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: SVS Subs...any expirence?

Originally posted by Generic

Anyone used/heard one? Or any of the other SVS models. The reviews I've seen have all been pretty good.
You can't go wrong with SVS-excellent subs for the money and they have great service.
Old 01-10-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by daledude
The only negative about the sub is the size and that you will hear a lot of rattling from other items in the room.
Not really an SVS specific comment, but regarding the size of the "tube . . ." I have a HSU 1220 which is similar in size/design to the SVS. When I ordered mine I had them shield the tube so I could place it behind the TV. The sub sits in a corner behind the TV and is virtually invisible (unless you walk around to the side). This approach would not have been possible with a "box" design.

IIRC HSU charged about $100 for the shielding. BTW: They would not guarantee that the shielding would work (given the close proximity to my TV), but no problems after 2 years.