Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Long, but please help @ RPTV purchase

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 32" Sony does a workmanlike job and I'm quite pleased with the picture for an S-video setup. But the size (with widescreen movies) doesn't quite match the sonic capabilities of my surround sound set-up. (See my signature) The picture looks great but I'd love the larger size and I really'd like to see how DVD's look at 480p. I'm looking at the Mitsubishi WT42-3111 right now and its the perfect size for my room arrangement (6'-7' from couch) and lightweight in case I need to move in the near future (I like living on the second floor of apartments). I've been mulling over getting a widescreen RPTV for a year now and would like some help; now that I've got the money and a model has come along that fits my living arrangement.

I went to The Good Guys and Best Buy here in So. Cal and they're selling it for @ $1800. I watch 50% DVD and 50% digital cable. I don't care about HDTV (for now) so if digital cable doesn't look that good that's fine. I watch everything from the latest action flicks (2.35) to indies (1.85) to Hollywood classics (4:3). My DVD collection (200 and counting) is the reason why I want to get this.

1. It doesn't have DVI or Firewire inputs. Is this something I'll regret in the near future?

2. How does this Mitsubishi model stack up to similar priced Toshiba/Panasonic models (picure quality)? If its at least similar thats fine.

3. If I wait another year (ugh) or two (oi!) do you think technology and features will come up to justify the wait? I am willing to wait (if its really worth it) since this is the TV I plan to use for at least the next 8 years.

4 How will the picture compare to my 32" direct view? What are the pluses and minuses I can expect going to the RPTV? I do prefer the more "filmic" look of RPTV's over the "pure video look" of directview tv's. Brightness, color saturation, detail, black levels, etc?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited by Ian11; 01-07-03 at 01:48 AM.