Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking about getting a new TV.. need advice

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I think I may be getting a new TV pretty soon, here is my dilemma.

Both TV's I am looking at are HDTV and 32 inches. One is widescreen and 1 is 4X3

I would like to get the Widescreen one because that would be awesome to watch my DVDs fill up the screen. Plus, it just seems cooler.

On the other hand, maybe I should get the 4x3 because most TV shows aren't broadcast in widescreen. The picture would actually end up a little smaller probably than they already are on my 27" tv.

I don't want to stretch the picture to fit the screen, because it makes all people on the TV look weird and stretchy.

What would you guys do, and why?
Old 01-06-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would probably post this in hardware to start . Anytime this has been discussed I feel the common theme ended up being "how will you use it the most?" I watch cable during the week and DVDs all weekend. Most WS TV's have a 4:3 mode or a stretch feature that doesn't distort the people. If you watch DVDs at least 45% of the time go WS and never look back.
Old 01-06-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Jim,

I will probably ask a mod to move this to hardware for me.

So if I use the stretch or 4x3 mode, it wont make everyone look stretched or anything?

My dad has a WS tv, and when he is watching a network, everything feels stretched
Old 01-07-03, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also looking into buying a new TV, and I'm heavily leaning towards either a Toshiba/Mitsubishi/Sony WS (at least 50"). So far in what I have seen, the Toshibas are really outstanding as far as "bang-for-your-buck" goes, and their stretch-modes for 4:3 programming are superior (it really looks good).
Old 01-09-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I say definitely go with the WS. When I got mine it was like getting all new DVDs--it looked THAT much better and I'm still amazed by it.
As for your "stretch" concern, as noted almost all WS TVs have different "aspect" modes (my Samsung 47" has 5), at least one of which will let you watch "regular" TV in the whole screen without making people look stretchy & fat ("panoramic" mode works perfectly on mine for this). Good luck...