DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need recommendation for TV (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/261768-need-recommendation-tv.html)

GeoffS 01-05-03 09:48 PM

Need recommendation for TV

Long time lurker, first time poster (yada yada yada)...

My parents are looking to buy a TV and I was hoping for some recommendation from the experts here. Basically we have $1500 to work with, I was thinking of something in the non-HDTV 4:3 50-55" projection neighborhood but I'm open to suggestions. It doesn't need to have all the latest features/inputs/etc or even PIP, I think picture quality is probably one of, if not the, most imporant feature. They probably won't go HDTV for several years so that's not important, but the potential to add on an HDTV tuner later on would be welcome.

Thoughts are very much appreciated.

Icculus 01-05-03 10:02 PM

Check out the Panasonic 47" WS HD-ready set (pt47wx42), you should be able to find it for less than $1500. I've had one for a few months and I love it, I don't have a HD tuner (I can't get any reception where I live) but for 480p movies and video games it looks incredible. I really don't think I would invest $1500 into a non HD (ready) set at this point, 4:3 vs. 16:9 is up tp your preference (although I do like widescreen better ;)) but an analog TV is outdated technology.

GeoffS 01-05-03 10:43 PM

Thanks, it looks like a good quality TV. It would fit in the price range but when you add the stand in (can't find price but it appears seperate) and the need to get a progressive scan DVD (if I don't get them to buy it now, they'll never get it or I'll have to buy it for them for Xmas next year) we're exceeding the price range. I might consider that one for myself in a few months though. :)

skar 01-06-03 01:34 AM

Just use an interlaced DVD player. The built-in line doubler should be more than adequate for the time being.

I agree that analog RPTV's are a horrible investment right now. Heck, Mitsubishi doesn't even make them anymore. Within 2-3 years analog TV's are going to really going to show their age.

It you really don't want HDTV, I would recommend spending $750-1000 on a 36" Direct View set. Then save the money for another upgrade in 2 years.

GeoffS 01-15-03 08:50 PM

Ok, so I'm sold on 16:9 HDTV and the Panasonic does look good. Now that we redefined the criteria, does anyone else have any recommendations? Best Buy is offering 24/mo no interest and $100 g/c right now so anything they stock would be cool as well as Circuit City/Tweeter (although IMHO I think Tweeter is generally overpriced).

tommer_2 01-16-03 11:40 AM

I'm in the same boat...

Currently looking at the Pan 47WX42 as well as the Samsung HCL4715W

Both are <$1500

Any thoughts?

Thanks