Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Center speaker placed high (50") in my entertainment center... is this a problem?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Center speaker placed high (50") in my entertainment center... is this a problem?

Old 01-05-03, 09:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'm thinking about getting a new entertainment center:

http://www.cjhomeandoffice.com/mommacude/20287.html

I'd put my center channel in the space above the television, in between the CD slots. That would put it about 50" off the floor. When I sit on my futon, my ears are about 40" off the floor. Yes, I measured, and yes, I'm a nerd.

Will this be a problem? I'm concerned that the speaker will basically be firing "over my head," and it won't sound right.

However, I'm probably just overthinking it. Right now, my speaker is 20" off the ground, firing "under my head," and I think it sounds fine.

Your thoughts?

P.S. If anyone else is interested in getting this center, you should be able to pick it up from a local Wal-Mart, or have them order it for you... it'll save you the $60 shipping.
Old 01-05-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might be able to angle your center speaker so that it aims more towards your ears.

At any rate, the tweeter from my center is around 8" above my ears at my listening position, and I'm not doing any down-angling. Works pretty well.

Can't you use a box or whatever on top of your set right now to approximate where your center would be with the new furniture?

The only other thing I can think to add is that you want to make sure the front of the center channel is at or beyond the lip of the slot it's going to be in (i.e., out towards the listening position) .
Old 01-05-03, 10:02 PM

Put something under the back of your center speaker to angle it down slightly. While you're at Wal-Mart, pickup some rubber triangle/wedge door stops. My center is even higher than that so you're not alone.
Old 01-05-03, 10:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by stevevt
Can't you use a box or whatever on top of your set right now to approximate where your center would be with the new furniture?
I have no idea why I didn't think of that to begin with. I'll give it a whirl... thanks!
Old 01-06-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

doesn't your center channel have a lift in the back to raise it up or down to focus the speaker towards the listening area
Old 01-06-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Center speaker placed high (50") in my entertainment center... is this a problem?

Originally posted by Static Cling
yes, I'm a nerd.
Litmus test: Any true nerd . . . would have two center speakers, one above, one below, wired in phase to emulate a single source at the center of the TV screen.

(I flunk my test. My entertainment center forces it below and several inches to the right of center of my TV. The center of the speaker is probably near the right edge of the screen. If i ever replace the center (for a bigger tv) that will get addressed, but not right away).
Old 01-06-03, 04:17 PM

Not sure what kind of center you have, but make sure the cabinet is deep enough to accomodate the speaker.
Old 01-07-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still picturing you measuring your EAR HEIGHT....
Old 01-07-03, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

My center channel is 54" off the ground. I like it.
Old 01-07-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My center is definately higher than my listening position. Never had a problem.
Old 01-07-03, 01:25 PM

After I put the door wedges under my center channel,I put a old mouse pad under the front to keep it in place and not slip.
Old 01-10-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not just the height of the center, but the height of the center in relation to the L/R speakers. Most people recommend placing the center so that it is within 2 feet (vertical) of the L/R pair.