DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap All-in-One system OR Sound on a Budget

Old 01-02-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cheap All-in-One system OR Sound on a Budget

Did a search for cheap all-in-one and couldn't find anything relevant. Please lead me to previous discussions if necessary.

OK, here's the deal. I have, like, TOPS, $400-500 to work with in my budget right now and I want some sound. I have a very nice TV but I moved out and my old roomate kept his stuff and my new roomate(s) aren't getting anything so it's up to me.

I need sound. Eventually I'd like a nice top-of-the-line receiver, $1000 subwoofer, all that jazz. Right now I need something that's not coming out of old telephone parts and can fill a room larger than a phone booth.

Picture of my HT

So what's a good deal on OK to decent 5.1+ all-in-one systems (all I have is a TV and a DVD player)?

Priorities:
1. It works for at least a year
2. Cheap ($200-300 is perfect!)
3. # of Speakers
4. Quality
5. Does DTS

I'm no audiophile, so I don't really care about fancy stuff right now. I just want to be able to HEAR the television. Watching a big budget action flick and having it sound like you're wearing earmuffs at a soccer game sucks.

So can it be done? For $200? $300? $400?

OR

Do I get a receiver and two front speakers and call it a day?

Keep in mind eventually I will upgrade, so I'd rather have ultra-cheap stuff now and then eventually move it to like my bedroom or something. I just need a quick fix.

Comments?

Edited to add: I have a Circuit City card and would not mind also putting it on 0% for a year and pay the $300 over the course of a few months.

Last edited by The Bus; 01-02-03 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-02-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently bought the Onkyo HT-S650 at Circuit City on sale for $499 (I think regular price is $550) and I can tell you that it sounds phenomenal. I'm sure you could spend thousands of dollars and get something that sounds a little better, but I'm really impressed with this one. I feel like I'm in the theater.
Old 01-02-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I like my RCA RT2500
5.1 with Dolby Digital and DTS decoding.
3 digital inputs, 5.1 analog inputs (could be used for an SACD player) plenty of regular AV inputs
sounds good, not too expensive
Old 01-03-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll also recommend the Onkyo HT-650 all-in-one. I have the Onkyo speakers (also available separately - model SKSHT-500) paired with a different reciever. While I'm very happy with my set-up, I've heard the Onkyo 650 and thought it sounded very good, too.
Old 01-03-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have a best buy near you and want to use your circuit city card. best buy has this home theater in a box on sale. I think for under $400 before any taxes it is a good deal(it is $379). Pm it to circuit city since Best Buy B&M has it for the same price and use your circuit city card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=1552&scat=242

I got this as a XMas gift and like it so far-ok just got it and I am hooking it up today. I did listen to it at best buy for a bit before deciding to ask for it. This will be far better than the speakers in your TV

Go to Circuit City and Best Buy and listen to a few

actually amazon has it for $329 and circuit city may not carry it(could not find it on the website)

By the way the onkyo is a great system for the money. the only thing is that it is more money and that seemed to be your big concern since you are going to upgrade later. if money is not a huge issue the onkyo will provide better sound than the Sony.

Last edited by gcribbs; 01-03-03 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-03-03, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

THe sony speakers are worse then what is in you TV. We have measured it. I would not go that route.

I like the onkyo mentioned. Also look at this Pioneer which is being replaced and has real two way fronts and centers-

Or this one which has two ways in aluminum cabinets and an excellent high end dvd player!

Old 01-04-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
THe sony speakers are worse then what is in you TV. We have measured it. I would not go that route.

I like the onkyo mentioned. Also look at this Pioneer which is being replaced and has real two way fronts and centers-

Or this one which has two ways in aluminum cabinets and an excellent high end dvd player!

I am sure my ears are not as sensitive as the measurements your company did ; however the soundstage shrinks dramatically when I switch betweeen my tv speakers and the sony system. Plus the bass and overall sound quality sounds far better on the sony system than my Tv speakers. In addition, the volume levels are way higher on this system than my TV.

I am sure the Onkyo sounds better ;however, it also costs more.

This does not compare to my home theater system in my living room ,but then it costs far less(zero for me )