DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD, TiVo, VCR and Cable hookup

Old 12-31-02, 11:40 PM

DVD, TiVo, VCR and Cable hookup

HI, I just purchased a sony 46" rptv and Im trying to hookup all my stuff to it, the reciever aside, what is the best way to set these things up? I had them all set up on my old tv

this way: cable split into cable box and tv(PIP) and the tivo into the vcr. DVD into Video 1 and Vcr into Video 2

I tried for the same the new set and it doesnt want to work, it gives me only the audio for the VCR on video 3 even though I hooked it up to Video 2 on the tv

If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-01-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you want your Tivo to control your cable box?

Here is how mine is hooked up. I don't use PIP.

Outlet to 3-way digital splitter.
1 Split capped for later expansion
1 split to Tivo, Tivo svhs to cable box, cable box svhs to video 1.
1 split to Vcr, Vcr coax to Tv, Vcr Vga to video 3, which somehow allows me to watch one channel while recording another on video 3. I can only assume the coax is bypassing the vcr and using the Tv's tuner since the coax is the regular antenna input.
Dvd VGA cables to video 2.

I believe with Tivo to have the correct audio video synch you have to have the audio either fed out from the Tivo or from the Tv to the receiver.

I don't know what to tell you about the problem with your current setup.Maybe check each wire and if they all look correct, un hook everything and start from scratch one piece at a time.