DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVD-audio question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/260505-dvd-audio-question.html)

heavywear 12-30-02 09:35 PM

DVD-audio question

how do I know if my panny r62 will play a dvd-audio disc? Looks like there is 3 different levels of playback on the disc (advnaced resolution surround, advanced resolution stereo and DD 5.1/DTS) and I want to be able to experience the best quality or I may as well stick to CDs....wasting my dime?

TheKobra 12-30-02 09:38 PM

It will say it in the manual. Or goto www.vcdhelp.com and look at that player.

LInk to player on VCDHelp

It does not look like it.

mdX 12-31-02 12:38 AM

you can play the dvd-video compatible DD or DTS track(s) on any DVD-Audio discs (assuming they have one), but you will not be able to play the high-resolution/multichannel dvd-Audio track(s).

heavywear 12-31-02 11:04 AM

dangit!

GuitarPik 04-12-03 01:54 AM

Is there a HUGE difference in quality between the DD 5.1 and the true DVD-A...especially on a low end system?

I really dont want to upgrade to a dvd-a compatible dvd player just for a slight difference.

Master J 04-13-03 08:35 PM

Originally posted by GuitarPik
Is there a HUGE difference in quality between the DD 5.1 and the true DVD-A...especially on a low end system?

I really dont want to upgrade to a dvd-a compatible dvd player just for a slight difference.

I have found improvements with the high resolution tracks compared to the low res compressed DTS and DD found on many discs. I think that even on a lower end system you will notice some improvements though they may not be earth shattering.

That being said, the surround tracks on most DVD-A are worth the price of admission alone whether you listen to them in Hi-res or DD/DTS. This would be reason enough for myself to upgrade discs I already have on CD. The one benefit DVD-A has right now over single layer SACD is that you can play it on any DVD player out there in surround right now, and down the road you will also have the benefits of the Hi-res tracks when you upgrade your player. Give DVD-A a try, it is an exciting new format that gives the music fan a very nice package.

J

GuitarPik 04-14-03 02:50 AM

I just wish they would release some more rock music on dvd-a

The only thing im interested in picking up is the Metallica and STP album.

I wish they would release dark side of the moon like they did on SACD

Master J 04-14-03 05:12 PM

I wish they would release dark side of the moon like they did on SACD
This is actually rumored to be coming out on DVD-A as well by the end of the year. The SACD is excellent though. It is a shame EMI sold out for the money early on, and kept so many fans from eharing this album in surround sound of some sort.

J