Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just How good are these DVD recorders? How do you like yours?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-30-02, 01:08 PM

I'm used to recording on Super VHS, I would hope DVD recording is at least that good. How are the different DVD recording speeds for sound and picture?

I'd love to dub my old SVHS tapes over DVD's, editing them down in the process. Anyone done this? What speed are you using?

Any compatability issues with regular DVD players?

Please mention what model/make you have.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been very pleased with the results dubbing from LD, SVHS and even VHS. I have the Panasonic E20 and it has circuitry that cleans up the picture to a considerable degree. I most often use the 2-hr speed, sometimes 1, understand that longer 4/6 speeds degrade the picture. The discs play on every player I've tried, and they've worked on friends' players.

I have had a few audio dropouts - whether that's bad media or what I'm uncertain.
Old 12-30-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you do a search on DVD recorders, you'll find all the info you could ever need on them.
Old 12-30-02, 04:56 PM

Excellent. I own a Samsung DVD R3000 and Panasonic E30 DVD-R / RAM recorders and players. Both units incorporate 3-D Y/C Separation and Hybrid VBR Resolution to ensure recording are done at the highest quality.

3-D Y/C Separation: Reduces noise by sepearting the liminance "Y" and color "C" signals reeceived from VHS, SVHS, Laserdisc and DirecTV.

Hybrid VBR Resolution: Reduces Block Noise by selecting the optiumum rate.

Flexible Recording: The units record at the highest bit rate for a set time period. Results in excellent quality for movies over 2 hours long. Movies under two hours are recorded at the SP speed which is near commercial DVD quality.

I have recorded approximatley 150 movies form VHS, SVHS, Laserdisc and DirecTV with excellebt results. Recording wise the Samsung and Panasonic are equal. The Panasonic is a better buy becuase it includes Progressive Scan and open architect for Flexible Recording. With the Samsung Flexible Recording only works with timer programming.

www.ecost.com is selling the Panasonic E30 for $519.00, free shipping UPS Ground or $9.90 for FedEx overnight. For $9.90 ship FedEx.
Old 12-31-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love my Panny HS2 hard drive recorder. Made plenty of excellent DVD transfers of my not-soon-to-be-on-DVD laserdiscs and VHS. I'm glad I waited for a hard drive recorder to pop up, since being able to edit out side breaks and commercials before burning was a big boon for me and I didn't want to go the computer route.