DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Wega KV27FS13 SVideo problem/question important (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/260051-wega-kv27fs13-svideo-problem-question-important.html)

kaze0 12-28-02 08:06 AM

Wega KV27FS13 SVideo problem/question important

I've had this tv for over a year, today I just noticed that if I plug a device into the svideo input I need to also plug any rca style output from that device into ANY video or audio input on the tv for the SVideo picture to show. I tried this with a DVD player and Digital Camcorder and observed the same results with both devices.

Previously I had the tv output from my computer going into the SVideo input on this TV, with my Gamecube system running via composite to that same Video 1 channel and my the video from my computer would ALWAYS show up over the sound of the gamecube system (those of you with this TV will know what I mean). As mentioned above I tried the same setup with my DVD player and camcorder but the video from those devices did not show up.

I would be extremely greatful if anyone could tell me which behavior is the appropriate behavior and also if anyone could help me with the next set of questions.

On Christmas the power went out for 1 or 2 seconds at 2 times during the day. Both times both my computer and tv were on and both times they both went off. One of those times my computer rebooted and gave me an error related to a Windows XP file missing (I didn't write the error down). I rebooted again and got the same error, so I opened the case to see if anything was visibly damaged as I also heard some weird beeping. No problems were visible. I rebooted again and the machine worked.

The following day while using my compuer the monitor started flashing between the screen and a black image. Moments later the screen froze in a garbled up mess and none of the keyboard commands seemed to work so I did a hard reboot. Since then nothing has seemed to be wrong until...

So today I'm watching a movie and all of a sudden I see a rolling block of brightness which I will now call interference. This interference I normally get if I have cable tv plugged in and try to use the tv out on my computer, but the interference is normally only on the tv out image. This time it was on all the video inputs and my computer was OFF. I turned the computer on and the interference dissapeared.

My video card is an All In Wonder Radeon, so I went to try to turn the tv out capability on and it said device not connected for the tv so the tv out will not turn on. I tried connecting it to another tv, my vcr all with composite and s video and still no go.

I'm afraid that something has fried my video card and svideo input on my tv now. If anyone has any clues on to whats going on pleeeeease help me. If you need any more information I can easily provide it.

I'm going crazy here thinking my video card and TV become damaged in the same day. arrrgghh

Clicker 12-28-02 08:48 AM

Re: Wega KV27FS13 SVideo problem/question important

Originally posted by kaze0
On Christmas the power went out for 1 or 2 seconds at 2 times during the day. Both times both my computer and tv were on and both times they both went off. One of those times my computer rebooted and gave me an error related to a Windows XP file missing (I didn't write the error down). I rebooted again and got the same error, so I opened the case to see if anything was visibly damaged as I also heard some weird beeping. No problems were visible. I rebooted again and the machine worked.

My video card is an All In Wonder Radeon, so I went to try to turn the tv out capability on and it said device not connected for the tv so the tv out will not turn on. I tried connecting it to another tv, my vcr all with composite and s video and still no go.
[/B]
The problem booting and the "beeping" is most likely caused by a hardware conflict. My guess is the hardware conflict is your video card based on your further description. You could have had a drive file open when the computer crashed that was flagged as open or cached and not yet saved to the harddrive and couldn't be read when the computer rebooted. Easy fix, try removing the software driver for the video card, and reinstalling the software. Might be the easiest resolution to your problem. The odds of the power going out destroying a video card are pretty slim, as long as you are protected by a surge device, and that the power going out wasn't caused by a lightning strike.

IF the All In Wonder is NOT also the source for your monitor, I would uninstall the software, remove the card, boot the computer, and reinstall the All In Wonder from square one, according to directions. This will not work if it is also the source for your computer monitor though! Not familiar with your particular card. And my computer has a card for TV in & out and another for the Monitor itself.

One nice thing I have noticed about XP is that it seems to repair itself, or find work arounds when there are harware problems such as this, and the work around may have not worked correctly in your case resulting in the problem you mentioned where the computer must be on for the video on the TV to work correctly.

I have a very similar problem with a Visioneer Scanner, connected to the USB port. If the power goes out, I have to unplug the scanner from the computer and plug it back in for the USB port to recognize and initialize it again. I get the same beeping at boot, with the added problem with the scanner plugged in I have to unplug it before the computer will shut down.

Last but not least, go to the Device Manager, Select your Hard Drive, the "Properties" dialog will come up, choose the "Policies" tab and uncheck the box "Enable Write Behind Caching". This will slow your computer but not by a noticeable amount, but it will make sure all files are written immediately, as opposed to hanging in the cache should the power go out. I have this set on my own machine as well as all my clients machines, and we all do data intense work where files are opening and closing left and right without a substantial or for that matter even a noticeable difference in performance.

kaze0 12-28-02 10:01 AM

I tried removing my video card and reinstalling all of the drivers, with no luck getting it to work. I also have a Windows Millenium partition that I rarey use but has been set up to work perfectly and while using that I still can no longer use the TV out.

All of my equipment was connected to surge protectors.