DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVD Audio hook up question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/259312-dvd-audio-hook-up-question.html)

milpool 12-23-02 04:02 PM

DVD Audio hook up question

I am thinking of purchasing a progressive scan DVD player with DVD Audio capability (JVC XV-SA75GD) . I understand that DVD Audio needs to be connected using 5.1 inputs (not digital optical or toslink)

I have a Sony STR-DB840 receiver with unused 5.1 inputs except for the subwoofer.

How can I hook up the DVD Audio LFE output to the .LFE input that is already in use? Would I be able to use a splitter of some type?

stevevt 12-23-02 04:17 PM

Why and how are you using the sub input on your receiver?

I'm trying to picture it, and failing.

milpool 12-23-02 08:07 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
Why and how are you using the sub input on your receiver?

I'm trying to picture it, and failing.

Subwoofer OUT from receiver connected to powered subwoofer's inputs.

gotapex 12-23-02 09:13 PM

You go from the XV-SA75GD's 5.1 outputs into the STR-DB840's inputs.

There's no reason the STR-DB840's sub input should be used. Your sub is hooked up (or should be hooked up) to the STR-DB840's LFE output.

theman1971 12-24-02 10:46 AM

What happens if you just use optical only? Do you HAVE to use the 5.1 outputs of the DVD player to take advantage of DVD-Audio?

I have an RP-82 btw.

Thong

Icculus 12-24-02 11:22 AM

Yeah, DVD-A won't pass through the digital connection - you have to use the 6 channel analog outputs. There's usually (maybe all the time) a DD mix on the DVD-A but it won't sound as good as the DVD Audio tracks.

cowanrg 12-24-02 03:09 PM

i tried this once, it just downmixes the dvd-audio stream to PCM, then out to each channel in PCM, so basically its just regular bitrate DD. there is a noticable difference. (of course i was testing this on a $40K system....)

Originally posted by Thong T
What happens if you just use optical only? Do you HAVE to use the 5.1 outputs of the DVD player to take advantage of DVD-Audio?

I have an RP-82 btw.

Thong

theman1971 12-24-02 05:13 PM

I went ahead and played a DVD-A disc thru the optical just to hear how it sounds. On this particular album, Metallica's Black album, it doesn't sound any different than the CD version.

I'll have to hook up the 5.1 outputs then.

Thanks for the advice!

Thong

El Kabong 12-24-02 08:32 PM

If you try a DVD-A through the fiberoptic- it will be just stereo basically. It's not supposed to work that way. If your player wasn't a DVD-A player a digital-out would be fine & you'd get regular 5.1, but a DVD-A player (at least my Kenwood) won't let you access the 5.1, only the DVD-A. i wouldn't recommend trying your DVD-As through the fiberoptic- some will throw off nasty noises which may mess up your speakers- Fleetwood Mac Rumour's sounds really weird, yet The Doors sounds stereo.

milpool 12-25-02 12:37 PM

Originally posted by gotapex
You go from the XV-SA75GD's 5.1 outputs into the STR-DB840's inputs.

There's no reason the STR-DB840's sub input should be used. Your sub is hooked up (or should be hooked up) to the STR-DB840's LFE output.

You are correct, sir! I was looking at the receiver's manual and misread the hook up diagrams. I DO have the receiver's sub-out correctly fed to the subwoofer's input. The sub input is not in use. It would have been more clear if I had looked at the back of the actual receiver, but it is a MAJOR hassle to access the rear panel of components in my entertainment center.

Thanks to all for your assistance. :)

cowanrg 12-25-02 12:44 PM

hum, this reminds me, maybe i should get castors and not spikes for my new stand :-)

Originally posted by milpool
You are correct, sir! I was looking at the receiver's manual and misread the hook up diagrams. I DO have the receiver's sub-out correctly fed to the subwoofer's input. The sub input is not in use. It would have been more clear if I had looked at the back of the actual receiver, but it is a MAJOR hassle to access the rear panel of components in my entertainment center.

Thanks to all for your assistance. :)