Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking of replacing my front & center speakers for $300-400... ideas?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Thinking of replacing my front & center speakers for $300-400... ideas?

Old 12-14-02, 12:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thinking of replacing my fronts & center for $300-400... ideas?

Right now I have a set of fairly inexpensive 5.1 speakers from Sony's SA-VE line that I bought about two years ago. I'm looking to upgrade, and I heard that it's more important to upgrade the fronts than the rears, and to upgrade the fronts + center together to timbre-match. My receiver is a 110-watt Yamaha HTR-5250 (specs here). I live in a 1BR apartment, and my living room is of medium/decent size. The options I thought up so far:

1. I found an Energy dealer that sells the Take 5.2 speakers up the road from my house... I think the three speakers would run me around $400.

2. I also could pick up some N-series JBLs from Best Buy (or wherever) for around $330. Which means I could probably get them cheaper somewhere online, but I'm hesitant to make big purchases on line... if something goes wrong, I guess I'd prefer to be able to take them somewhere in town.

Any other thoughts on brands & prices within my price range? I've heard good things about Klipsch and Polk Audio as well.
Old 12-14-02, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

I expect a new mass market line from Klipsch very soon. I may be wrong but it may happen. At the pice you are looking you are at $100~125 for each front and ~$150 for the center. This is the starting point of almost all mid fi vendors line-up. If you have a brand you like start by listening to stereo at home of a few tracks you really like and then take the same tracks with you and listen at the dealers. There are lots a factors in listening but for now this gives you a start. It kind of fun to do if you have a weekend to give to it.

Last edited by bfrank; 12-15-02 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-14-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have a listen to PSB, you should be able to meet your needs and budget.
Old 12-14-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nekobus
Have a listen to PSB, you should be able to meet your needs and budget.
I'll second that, Ilove my PSBs. Check out www.yawaonline,com - they usually have some really good deals on B stock (I have B stock and can't find any flaws).
Old 12-15-02, 08:25 AM

I have the Klipsch synergy system up front and center. I am very pleased with them so far, especially on movies and 5 channel audio. Their sound is exceptionally clean and detailed, with superb imaging. These were in the price range you are looking at when I purchased them 2 years ago. I havent been into the dealers to see what the current klipsch lineup is like, but I have been very pleased with mine. I dont know how much truth there is to the concept of the "tractix" horns, but the high end detail is quite startling at first, but they break in nicely.
Old 12-15-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I second Kipsch and PSB's, both are nice speakers. I am looking forward to the day I can get rid of my Sony-DE545 with that stupid hissing problem and my Kenwood speakers Maybe I should start www.savepedagogue.com

-pedagogue
Old 12-15-02, 12:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'll do some poking around about Klipsch & PSB... thanks!

Another question... how big of a difference is there between the JBL N-Series and S-Series? Getting three S-Series speakers is a little outside my budget, but if they will sound noticeably better than the N-Series, I'll splurge.
Old 12-16-02, 01:31 AM
Cool New Member

I have an S-series center and N-series mains. I know they say not to mix but I have no complaints, in fact, I love them. I went for the S in the center channel because that carries most of the dialog and I had small yamahas before and they were really lacking and I didn't want to take any chances. But the N-series mains are awesome. They really crank.
Old 12-16-02, 02:14 AM

ill second or third the PSB, see my sig.
Old 12-17-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll nominate Wharfedales for their value and quality....they can be had for song from a few different places and i've been VERY happy with mine.....
Old 12-18-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two excellent choices come to mind. The PSB Alpha series and the Paradigm Performance series. The speakers are:

Fronts:
PSB Alpha A/V
PSB Alpha B
Paradigm Titans

Center:
PSB Alpha Center
PSB Alpha C
Paradigm CC-170

Look for local dealers to audition them:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/r/list.html
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Dealers/Dealers.html
Old 12-18-02, 11:17 AM