Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hooking up dvd player to crappy old tv with no inputs? (giving a cave man a laptop)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hooking up dvd player to crappy old tv with no inputs? (giving a cave man a laptop)

Old 12-12-02, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, let's say someone has a tv with only a cable input (well, it has rca inputs in the front but they don't want cables coming out the front ). What can this person living in the stone age who wants modern DVD technology do to hook it up? They have a VCR hooked up already so I'm hoping to hook it up in-line with the VCR through the VCR inputs. Of course, the VCR doesn't like this because of the copyrighting.

I seem to remember something about a "macrovision disabler" or something but that was a couple years ago. Obviously this person needs a new TV, but just to get the DVD player running for now, what do I need to get to help them? Is there something common-place now that I can order easily online or buy at Best Buy or something?

I've also considered telling them to get a vcr/dvd combo and just hooking that up through the cable (they have cable out, don't they?) even though I hate the idea. They still want to be able to play their old tapes though.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I tried a search but VCR is apparently too short for the search engine.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 12-12-02 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-12-02, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

You can get a converter from Radio Snack that changes the RCA inputs to RF inputs. Than a simple RF switch depending on what you are watching.

P.S. Moving to home theater forum
Old 12-12-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yup an RF converter can be picked up anywhere (radio shack, best buy, etc.) for around $15 or so.

Old 12-12-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You should see the setup I have in my bedroom. TV, cable box, TiVo, VCR, and DVD player. The TV is old, so it only has a single RF input. The VCR is old, so all it has is RF input and output. The DVD is cheap, so all it has is RCA output. I've got the DVD running to a converter to convert it to RF, then through an A/B switch, then to the TV. On the other side of the A/B switch, I've got a line than runs from the wall, through the cable box, through the TiVo, through the VCR, through the switch, to the TV. It's a mess.

I guess the moral of the story is there's a way to hook up even the oldest, crappiest equipment.
Old 12-12-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
I guess the moral of the story is there's a way to hook up even the oldest, crappiest equipment.
Sweet. Where do I buy a converter to play my LP's in this DVD player?

Thanks for the help people. I think I got what I need. DVD and cable hookup into RF modulator, then you can pass the cable through that into the tv (switch for channel 3 or 4 on the RF modulator)