DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PLEASE HELP!! Wife buying gift

Old 12-09-02, 07:49 PM
Deb
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

PLEASE HELP!! Wife buying gift

We are moving in about a month. I want to buy a whole new system as a gift for my husband. But I know NOTHING about home theatre systems and am afraid some salesperson at Circuit City or Best Buy is going to rip me off.

We have an RCA VCR (gets hardly any use), an APEX AD-5131 DVD Player, Onkyo HD-DSP Receiver, Bose speakrs (five little ones with a base).

I know he wants one of those big flat panel TVs that hand like a picture frame.

Please anyone out there who can help me, I would appreciate it so much!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-02, 08:04 PM

Deb,

Here are some websites that will help you to find the best product the best fit for you and your husband. I recommend, do alot research before investing in the flat panel tv because they are very spendy.

www.epinions.com
www.cnet.com - click on the product reviews
http://www.hometheatermag.com/
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/index.asp

Also, use search engines like www.googles.com and msn.com, etc... to help you find the right tv.

Good luck
Old 12-09-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Wife buying gift

Originally posted by Deb
We are moving in about a month. I want to buy a whole new system as a gift for my husband. But I know NOTHING about home theatre systems and am afraid some salesperson at Circuit City or Best Buy is going to rip me off.

We have an RCA VCR (gets hardly any use), an APEX AD-5131 DVD Player, Onkyo HD-DSP Receiver, Bose speakrs (five little ones with a base).

I know he wants one of those big flat panel TVs that hand like a picture frame.

Please anyone out there who can help me, I would appreciate it so much!!! Thanks in advance.
ok, lets first start with a BUDGET.
What price range are you looking at for total spending? That makes the first big difference.

Once we get that info we can point you in the right direction for the best bang for your buck for each product.
Old 12-09-02, 08:54 PM
Uber Member

And by "spendy" he means most expensive TV at a given size on the market.

I think Bruce also meant www.google.com , not googles.

Do you know how big a TV you want to get? Regular TVs (starting at about 27" in size and going up to about 36") range anywhere from $300 to $2000 depending on the size and technology you want. Rear Projection TVs (which have screen sizes from about 40" to 65") range from about $1500 to $5000. Flat panel displays are pretty expensive and don't get as big as RPTVs, while tending to cost about twice as much.

Also, how important is sound to your husband? Home Theater's in a Box are in the $300-$700 range (if memory serves...I don't look at these too often), though you're generally better off buying the audio receiver and the speakers seperately. While this will cost more, you tend to get better sound and better quality components.

Receivers can range from $200-$1200 and beyond. You plug the audio from your components (DVD player, cable TV, VCR, console gaming systems, CD players) into it, and it outputs the sound to your speakers.

For speakers, you'll need at least six... 3 for the front (left, right, center), two for the back (left and right) and a subwoofer (provides the rumble in explosions)... These can go from about $500 on up to the tens of thousands of dollars. The reason for all the speakers is to create a soundfield that surrounds you with the movie's audio, much like they do in a theater. Many systems today add a seventh channel (rear center) for even better directional effects. But having the six basic speakers (also know as 5.1 with the .1 being the subwoofer) will allow you to take advantage of the two most popular DVD audio formats, Dolby Digital and DTS.

Given the number of options, it would help if you could provide a budget for what you want to do. Home Theater is still a somewhat confusing thing, but it's possible to buy into it for a lot less than even just a couple of years ago.

With a budget and some basic information (TV type/size and how important sound is to you) you should be able to get some good recommendations on what to get.

Good luck, and your husband is an extremely lucky man to have a wife who is willing to even try to do this for him!
Old 12-09-02, 09:36 PM
Deb

sorry, should have posted a budget.

For the TV, I would spend the most on that between $2000 - $4000. I know he definately wants the flat screen one, probably the 36 inch one. I saw him salivating over one about that size at Circuit City one day.

For sound, I would say it is important too, so I would spend between $2000 - $3000 for a system.

DVD player - probably in the $600 range

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Hope this is enough, it has taken me a little bit of time to save up this much. I'll be sure to let you all know which I finally bought and his reaction!! Thanks again!
Old 12-09-02, 11:46 PM

Holy shiznit!! That sounds like a nice budget!! Unfortunately, as with most electronics, there are a lot of differences of opinion when it comes to what to buy. Good luck in your search.

P.S. If you ever leave your husband, feel free to pack up the gear you decide to buy and give me a call.
Old 12-10-02, 12:08 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I highly recommend you ask this question at:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

You should get some great comprehensive advice. Good luck.
Old 12-10-02, 02:27 AM

That's an excellent budget. If it was my $7600 (total), I'd cut it up a just a bit differently though.

If he wants a flat screen (panel?), I'm guessing the best in your budget is the Panasonic PT-42PHD4-P (siver chassis, at just over $4k) or the black chassis TH42PHW5uz at about $3500.

For the DVD player, get the excellent Panasonic RP82 or CP72 (5 disk changer), both of which are $200 or less. Spend the rest of the money on sound:

For the sound, I'd start with a H/K AVR520 (under $500 shipped), and add Rocket loudspeakers. For the sub, pick up a low end SVS. This will probably come out a tad bit over budget.
Old 12-10-02, 02:45 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by gamjohn2
Unfortunately, as with most electronics, there are a lot of differences of opinion when it comes to what to buy.
This brings up a good point...choosing speakers can be an especially personal decision as people tend to hear things a little differently. If you know he has a speaker preference, you might want to go that way...or even just buy the receiver and TV as a surpise and then go speaker shopping with him.

Only caveat would be if he prefers Bose speakers. These are actually fine as speakers, but with the budget you have you'll be able to get much better speakers than that.
Old 12-10-02, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deb
sorry, should have posted a budget.

For the TV, I would spend the most on that between $2000 - $4000. I know he definately wants the flat screen one, probably the 36 inch one. I saw him salivating over one about that size at Circuit City one day.

For sound, I would say it is important too, so I would spend between $2000 - $3000 for a system.

DVD player - probably in the $600 range

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Hope this is enough, it has taken me a little bit of time to save up this much. I'll be sure to let you all know which I finally bought and his reaction!! Thanks again!
I THINK I LOVE YOU!!!!
Old 12-10-02, 11:44 AM
Deb

You guys are great! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to print out this thread out and go shopping soon, hope to get some Xmas sales.

Hope he appreciates it!

Thanks again for all your help. As to the offer if it doesn't work out with my hubby.... I'll keep you informed.
Old 12-10-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What Onkyo receiver do you currently own?

Are you only considering tube TV's? Are front projection or rear projection systems out of the question?
Old 12-10-02, 12:35 PM
Deb

The Onkyo is a TX-SV545. We haven't had any problems with it, we bought it like maybe three years ago.

I think he really really wants the flat screen TV. He has been talking about it and talking about it.
Old 12-10-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank S
I THINK I LOVE YOU!!!!
Uh huh.

I wish I could get my SO gifts like that (and I wish she could get that sort of gift for me). Wow.
Old 12-10-02, 02:59 PM

Blade - Thanks for correcting me.

Deb's hubby is going to have a good xmas season. He's lucky to have you.

good luck in your search!
Old 12-14-02, 09:29 AM

Deb

I envy your husband. He is one helluva lucky guy. How I wish
mine is like you who shares her husband's passion.

It will be the end of the world if mine ever ever do what you are doing now. There are still wonderful wives out there,lucky man.
Old 12-14-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plasma TV's are nice...but there are some REALLY good PRTV's for about 30% less. You could do some remodeling possibly and build around the TV to have it go flat.

Good luck! and remember Never ever EVER buy a floor model TV

-pedagogue
Old 12-14-02, 05:38 PM
Deb

Thanks again for all your help and support. I hope to go shopping early next week. I'll keep you posted as to the results. You all are GREAT!