DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV Surround Sound Question

Old 12-08-02, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TV Surround Sound Question

I know that there is somebody out there who can help me with this.............

I have a Pioneer VSX-D409 multi-channel receiver and a 52" Hitachi Projection television. I am trying to set up a good surround sound experience for football games, auto racing etc. The users manual is no help at all.

I have very little experience setting up home theatre equipment. I would just like a good set-up that will give me noticeble sound coming from all five channels (particularly the rear channels). Right now, I have both the front and rear speakers plugged into the front speaker inputs -- I know this is wrong but it the only way I have been able to get rear sound.

Is there anyone out there in our little community that can give me step by step instructions? I know this is a pain-in-the-ass but if anyone has the know-how and some extra time on their hands i would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

BBP
Old 12-08-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you are under a misconception that just because you have rear speakers that sound should always be coming from them. The surround speakers are meant to convey sound that is designed to come from the back of the room. You should not be hearing, for example, the voices of people who appear on-screen coming from behind your head. Usually what you will hear from the rear speakers are ambient noises or music, or in the cases of some movies sound effects that are directed to the back of the room (bullets ricocheting in an action movie, etc.). Many television programs, especially live events, will have no surround at all. Something like a football game will usually have the sounds of the audience cheering coming from all speakers, though.

You should hook up your speakers as directed in the owner's manual. The "ProLogic" (or ProLogic II) setting is the default for most television programs.

If that really doesn't satisfy you, all receivers have a selection of DSP (digital sound processing) modes that will alter your sound output, just like a stereo with "Church Hall" or "Jazz Club" sound settings. You may even have one meant for Sports that will beef up the surround activity.

Basically, hooking the rear speakers up to the front connections is not a good idea under any circumstances.
Old 12-08-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What Josh said. And as far as hook-up goes, it depends on your source for television programming.

Do you have a satellite or cable box? If so, use the stereo outputs from that to the receiver, which will decode surround on the Pro-Logic II setting.

If you just have analog cable, probably the easiest thing to do is use the tuner of a hi-fi VCR to feed the Pro-Logic signal to the receiver.

But as Josh said, surround is not simply having sound coming out of all speakers all the time.
Old 12-10-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for the info.....

I know my set-up right now is incorrect but what I am looking to do is beef up the rear channel sound. With the suggestions above is there a setting which will increase the volume of the rear channels. Again, I am not looking for a perfect sound, simply one that is more pleasing to me.

Thanks,

BBP
Old 12-10-02, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just like a good set-up that will give me noticeble sound coming from all five channels (particularly the rear channels). Right now, I have both the front and rear speakers plugged into the front speaker inputs -- I know this is wrong but it the only way I have been able to get rear sound.
I do not understand.

This is a 5 channel receiver with 100 watts per channel.

You cannot connect the speakers in this manner and expect anything to work correctly.

Connect the speakers as labeled, ie., right front, right rear etc.

Run the test tones from the receiver and adjust the volume accordingly.

If you only source of audio is the TV broadcast please note that if the broadcast is not in surround sound you will never get a signal from the rear channels. Connecting them to the front only makes more sound not correct sound.
Old 12-10-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bigbadpanda
thanks for the info.....

I know my set-up right now is incorrect but what I am looking to do is beef up the rear channel sound. With the suggestions above is there a setting which will increase the volume of the rear channels. Again, I am not looking for a perfect sound, simply one that is more pleasing to me.

Thanks,

BBP
You can bump up the volume but it won't change the fact that the sound information just isn't (and isn't supposed to be) there. If your receiver has a five channel stereo mode you should probably pick that one. It'll sound weird (it completely defeats the purpose of surround sound) but there will be sound coming from each of the channels.
Old 12-10-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Icculus
If your receiver has a five channel stereo mode you should probably pick that one. It'll sound weird (it completely defeats the purpose of surround sound) but there will be sound coming from each of the channels.
I was just going to suggest this as well. 5-Channel Stereo sends all sound to all speakers all of the time.

It sounds terrible, but if that's what you want that's what you can do.
Old 12-11-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay.....let me attempt to explain myslef more clearly. The system that I am attempting to set up belongs to my Dad. My home system (at my apartment) is set up by-the-book DTS. It sounds great.

The system that I am trying to set up for my Dad could be set up in the same way (well, in 5.1 anyway) but that is besides the point. What my dad wants is to watch a football game or a Nascar race and hear sound throughout the room. Have you ever heard a Nascar announcer say, "for those of you with surround sound turn up the volume now!!!"? My dad does not care about correct he wants a CRAP-load of sound hitting him from all sides. Probably just to impress his buddies. Anyhow, when I set-up the stereo (correctly, I think) you hear almost no sound coming from the rear channels. Do football games etc. even broadcast in surround?

Anyhow, I was just looking for suggestions on how to beef up his system and was hoping that someone had first-hand knowledge of this Pioneer system (Pioneer VSX-D409). Like I said, I'm pretty sure I can hook everything up right. What I am looking for is the setting on this particular receiver that will make him happy.

I appreciate everybodys feedback and if this makes any sense feel free to leave more.

Thanks,

BBP
Old 12-11-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a similiar Pioneer receiver (D509). I think it's been stated above, but simply put the 2 things you can do to get what you (or your Dad) want are:

(1) Increase the volume going to the rear speakers. This should be a function on your receiver remote. I have mine set the same as my fronts, but for your result you can up them to 10 if you want and leave the fronts as 0 or 1.
(2) Select a "simulated surround" mode. My Pioneer has Theater 1 and Theater 2 that seem to work well to achieve the result you want.

Best of luck.
Old 12-11-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bigbadpanda
My dad does not care about correct he wants a CRAP-load of sound hitting him from all sides. Probably just to impress his buddies. Anyhow, when I set-up the stereo (correctly, I think) you hear almost no sound coming from the rear channels. Do football games etc. even broadcast in surround?
Just throw on Pearl Harbor or Saving Private Ryan if he wants to impress his friends with craploads of sound. If your receiver has a multichannel stereo setting you might want to try that, but it won't be as impressive.